This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Hayden

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Hayden

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Wood | next family: Shuler

[This information is from Vol. IV, pp. 1490-1495 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

There was a town in Norfolk, England, called Heydon, which was a mile long and half as much broad. The present name of Heydon or Haydon, as it is commonly called, signifies the High Down, or plain on the hill, which is agreeable to its situation. It is located in the Liberty of the Duchey of Lancaster; the seat and demesne were called Heydon Hall or Manor — alias Stinton Hall and Manor. Heydon and Stinton Manors were subsequently divided. The legal settlement of Heydon Manor makes the eldest son heir. The town of Heydon lies about fourteen miles a little west of north from Norwich, the shire town of Norfolk county. The lands there, according to Domesday Book, were at the time of the Conqueror's survey under the lordship of one Whither, a Saxon, from whom the Conqueror took them and bestowed them upon the Earl of Warren — William de Warrena. The Heydons must have had their tenure from the Warrens as adherents or retainers of theirs. Very early we find them intermarried with the Warrens, also with the descendants of the Conqueror, with the Says, Mowbrays, Longvilles, Gurneys, Boleyns, etc. We find the name of Thomas de Heydon mentioned as one of the prominent men of the twelfth century.

(I) Thomas de Heydon, above referred to, was born in April, about 1185, died about 1250. He lived in South Erpingham, and served as justice itinerant for Norfolk county in the reign of Henry III, 1221. The office of justice (in Erye) was a commission held directly from the king, having appellate jurisdiction of superior cases, to save going up to Westminster. One of the five provisions of Magna Charta signed by King John in 1215 was that such local justice be appointed in the county. This was not fulfilled, however, until after the death of John, during the minority of his son, Henry III, and under the regency of Robert De Burgh. Thomas de Heydon, therefore, was the first judge in Norfolk appointed under Magna Charta.

(II) William Heydon, son of Thomas de Heydon, was probably born about 1220, died about 1272. He was the first of the Devon line.

(III) John de Heydon, son of William Heydon, was a younger brother of the William who was the third of the Norfolk line. John served as judge in Devon county in the first year of the reign of King Edward I, 1273, according to the records which we find in the Tower of London by Henry St. George Richmond. He was a younger branch of a knightly stock, so called, which flourished in the eastern parts of England, that is Norfolk. Whom he married is not known, but he had children, among them Robert.

(IV) Robert Haydon, son of John de Heydon, appears to have been the first to change the spelling of the first syllable by inserting "a" instead of the "e" which thenceforth distinguishes the Devon line. He settled at Boughwood in the nineteenth year of Edward I. The same year he deeded this estate to his son Henry and his wife Julian; the deed is attested by Thomas Frances, Ralph de Todwell and several others. His wife's name was Joan.

(V) Henry Haydon, son of Robert and Joan Haydon, appears to have married his own cousin or near relation, as his wife Julian is stated to be daughter and heir to Heydon, of Ebford, which made said Henry possessor of several thousand dollars per annum.

(VI) William (2) Haydon, son of Henry and Julian Haydon, inherited Boughwood. He married and among his children was Robert.

(VII) Robert (2) Haydon, son of William (2) Haydon, succeeded him as owner of Boughwood. He married and among his children was John.

(VIII) John (2) Haydon, son of Robert (2) Haydon, succeeded to the ownership of Boughwood. He married and among his children was Henry.

(IX) Henry (2) Haydon, son of John (2) Haydon, was of Boughwood and Ebford, and seems to have been the first to come into full possession of both estates. This was in the twentieth year of the reign of Richard II, 1397. Henry was succeeded by his son, John, of Boughwood and Ebford, who came into possession the eighth year of the reign of Henry IV, 1407. He married and had issue which seems not to have lived to inherit, so he was succeeded by his brother, William.

(X) William (3) Haydon, son of Henry (2) Haydon, was of Lymston. He succeeded to the estates of Boughwood and Ebford. He married and among his children was Richard.

(XI) Richard Haydon, fourth son of William (3) Haydon, was living on the estate during the fifteenth year of the reign of Edward IV, 1476. He married and had two sons, Richard and John, and one daughter, Jane.

(XII) Richard (2) Haydon, son of Richard (1) Haydon, was of Boughwood and Ebford, and was living there in the thirteenth year of the reign of Henry VIII, 1522. He married Joan, daughter of Morice Trent, of Ottery, St. Mary. They had three sons, Thomas, John and George.

(XIII) Thomas (2) Haydon, eldest son of Richard (2) Haydon, succeeded his father to the estates. He married Joan, daughter of Richard Weeks, of Honey Church, and among their children was Thomas.

(XIV) Thomas (3) Haydon, son of Thomas (2) Haydon, succeeded his father to the estates. He married Christiania, daughter and heir of Robert Tidersleigh. They had two sons. Robert and Thomas.

(XV) Robert (3) Haydon, son of Thomas (3) Haydon, became heir to his great-uncle, John, and on the death of this relative he removed his family to Cadhay and resided there. He served as justice of the peace, and was living in 1620. He married Joan, eldest daughter of Sir Amias Paulet, of George Hinton Somerset, and had three sons, Gideon, Amias and Drew, and one daughter, Margaret.

(XVI) Gideon Haydon, son of Robert (3) Haydon, owned the estates of Ebford and Cadhay, having succeeded his father, and is quoted as a very worthy, honest gentleman. It is said that the estates of Cadhay have never changed hands except by inheritance for seven hundred years. Sir Thomas Hare, the present owner, received them through the female line from the Williamses, as he himself believes. Gideon Haydon married Margaret, daughter of John Davy, Esquire, of Greedy, and had seven sons and five daughters. Three of the sons were William, John and James. Several of the sons grew to manhood and were living in 1630. Haydons, descendants of this line, are still at Tiverton, and a number having this spelling are in London. The late well-known B. R. Haydon, painter and native of Plymouth, belonged to this line.

The above account was originally taken from the English records. In 1888 Mr. Jabez Haskell Hayden, of Windsor Locks, Connecticut, wrote a book on the Hayden genealogies, and therein, through the researches of Rev. William B. Hayden, of Portland, Maine, and Mr. Levi Hayden, of Roslindale, Massachusetts, show that there were three brothers, William, John and James Hayden, who came from England on the ship; "Mary & John," in 1630, landing at Dorchester, Massachusetts. William is mentioned below. John remained a short time in Dorchester, later settled in Braintree, and his descendants are known as the "Braintree branch." James settled in Charlestown, Massachusetts, in 1635, and died in 1675. He had a family of eight children. The Haydens of Saybrook, now Essex, Connecticut, belong to this line.

There were several other men who came over from England on the "Mary & John," among them being Roger Clapp. He was then a young man of twenty-one. The Rev. John Warham and Rev. John Maverick, both older men, came over at the same time and gave considerable advice to the young men of the party, as is shown from the records. All of these men came from three counties in England, namely: Devon, Dorset, Somersetshire.

(XVII) William (4) Hayden, son of Gideon Haydon, came from England on the "Mary & John," 1630, landing at Dorchester, Massachusetts. After remaining there a short time, he removed to Windsor, Connecticut, where he resided until his death, and from him sprang the numerous descendants who are known as the "Windsor branch" of the Hayden family. He served under Captain Mason in the famous Pequot war in 1637. He received land in the first distribution made in Hartford in 1639, and sold the same with dwelling house there on February 9, 1642. Also about this time he purchased lands in Windsor, towards "Pine Meadow," and built a house upon it. In 1859 the site of this house was occupied by the residence of the late Henry Hayden, on the east side of the highway at the junction of the two roads, south of Hayden Station, near Windsor, Connecticut. On that part of his farm lying west of the railroad station, he had a stone quarry which was worked as early as 1654. In 1669 he deeded all his lands in Windsor, and buildings thereon, to his son Daniel, who probably had not left the old homestead. His first wife died in 1655. He married (second) in Fairfield, Connecticut, Widow Wilcoxon. William Hayden died at Killingworth, September 27, 1669. He was the father of three children:

  1. Daniel, born September 2, 1640;
  2. Nathaniel, February 2, 1642;
  3. Mary, June 6, 1648.

(XVIII) Daniel, son of William (4) Hayden, was born September 2, 1640, died March 22, 1712-13. He married, March 17, 1664, Hannah Wilcoxon, who died April 19, 1722. They were the parents of eight children.

(XIX) Samuel, fifth child of Daniel and Hannah (Wilcoxon) Hayden, was born February 28, 1677, died October 12, 1742. He married, January 24, 1703, Anna Holcomb, of Windsor, who died June 13, 1756, aged eighty-one years. They were the parents of six children.

(XX) Samuel (2), second child of Samuel (1) and Anna (Holcomb) Hayden, was born October 7, 1707. He married, November 7, 1737, Abigail Hall, of Somers, who bore him eight children.

(XXI) Moses, third child of Samuel (2) and Abigail (Hall) Hayden, was born September 23, 1742. When a young man he left Windsor, Connecticut, taking up his residence at Conway, Franklin county, Massachusetts. He married twice, names of wives unknown, and had one child by first wife, Moses.

(XXII) Moses (2), son of Moses (1) Hayden, was born in 1761, died at the home of his daughter, Asenath (Mrs. Daniel Bloss), in June, 1855, aged ninety-three years, and was buried in the cemetery at the stone church at Day Center, near where he had lived so many years. It appears that the young boy and his stepmother did not agree very well, and at the age of ten years he left home and thereafter depended upon his own resources. He located at what is now known as Holyoke, Massachusetts, where he resided for several years, and about 1790 or 1792, having heard favorable reports about the section of the country in and around the town of Day (called Concord), Saratoga county, New York, removed thither, purchased a farm, built a house, and in the course of a year or two returned to Massachusetts and married Mary Boyd, a resident of Holyoke, whom he brought to his new home, where they lived together until her death, in 1828. Mr. Hayden married (second) Eunice Deming. The farm where Moses Hayden lived has been known as the "Hayden Farm" for more than one hundred years. Moses Hayden was of a religious turn of mind and affiliated with the Baptists. There was no Baptist church in that locality but the inhabitants of that denomination were in the habit of gathering at the school house for worship. Children of Moses and Mary (Boyd) Hayden:

  1. Polly (Mary), born November 8, 1795, died May 5, 1863;
  2. John Boyd, February 21, 1798, died July, 1831;
  3. Solomon, see forward;
  4. Asenath, April 4, 1802, died January, 1882, aforementioned as the wife of Daniel Bloss;
  5. Parmelia, January 2, 1804;
  6. Perces, December 20, 1805;
  7. Moses, March 29, 1811;
  8. Susannah M., April 11, 1814, died 1887.

(XXIII) Solomon, son of Moses (2) and Mary (Boyd) Hayden, was born January 30, 1800, died March 20, 1879. He married, March 12, 1821, Annie Bloss, born March 3, 1805, died May 23, 1886. They lived on a farm in the town of Day, New York, near his father's farm, until 1850, when they moved to the town of Edinburg, Saratoga county, New York, where they purchased a farm, residing thereon until the death of Mr. Hayden. They were both members of the Baptist Society at Day, and upon their removal to Edinburg they joined the Baptist church at Northville, New York, and were regular attendants at the services during the remaining years of their lives. Children:

  1. Bethiah R., born September 27, 1822, died July 26, 1863; she married the Rev. Timothy Day; three children, two sons and one daughter; the sons enlisted in the civil war and both lost their lives in their country's service; one was killed by a shell in battle and the other died of typhoid fever, contracted while at the front;
  2. James H., February 12, 1824, died June 12, 1881;
  3. Rosina C., March 27, 1826, died April 30, 1830;
  4. Sally M., March 1, 1828, died May 16, 1830;
  5. Elvira E., March 20, 1831, died August 15, 1857;
  6. John C., see forward;
  7. Adeline L., February 22, 1836, died September 4, 1865;
  8. Rosannah E., August 17, 1838, died May 25, 1850;
  9. George Levi, April 18, 1841, died May 17, 1863;
  10. Anna M., September 22, 1844, living at the present time (1910).

George Levi Hayden enlisted in November, 1861, at Saratoga Springs, New York, and was assigned to Company D, Seventy-seventh Regiment, New York State Volunteer Infantry. He was trained at Saratoga Springs for some months and then his company was sent to the front. He was in several battles but escaped injury. In 1862, however, while the regiment was at White House Landing on the Pamunkey river, state of Virginia, he contracted typhoid fever. He was placed on a transport and sent with a large number of sick and wounded soldiers up the Potomac river to a hospital, but on the way up the river, during his delirium, he jumped overboard and was drowned. The body was recovered by his comrades and buried on the bank of that river.

(XXIV) John Carmi, son of Solomon and Annie (Bloss) Hayden, was born March 13, 1834, died March 24, 1899, in Saratoga Springs, New York, at the home of his son, Adelbert C. Hayden. Notwithstanding the fact that his brother had lost his life in the war, John C. enlisted for service in the fall of 1864. He enlisted at Amsterdam, New York, and was assigned to Company I, Ninety-first Regiment, New York State Volunteer Infantry. Early in the following year he was wounded in battle in Virginia and was sent to the hospital at Alexandria, and while there, recovering from his wounds, occurred the assassination of President Lincoln. Shortly after the close of the war he was mustered out of the service at Washington and returned to the town of Northampton, Fulton county, New York, where he had purchased a farm during the early years of the rebellion, removing thither from his farm near Edinburg, where he resided for two or three years after his marriage. He continued to live on the latter-named farm until after the death of his wife, in 1891. He married, November 19, 1856, Martha Haight Quinby, daughter of Aaron and Mary (Wilbur) Quinby (see Quinby VIII), who bore him six children, namely:

  1. Adelbert Carmi, see forward;
  2. Willis Adelma, born October 16, 1860;
  3. Charles Aaron, December 20, 1863;
  4. Mary Anna, June 3, 1866;
  5. George Jay, September 21, 1870;
  6. Eugene Elmer, December 13, 1873.

The parents of John C. Hayden were members of the Baptist church, and the ancestry all seem to have been Baptists back through their history in this country. The parents of Mrs. Hayden were Quakers, members of the Quaker church at Quaker street, New York, and the ancestry for nearly three hundred years was known to have been Quakers. However, the nearest church to their home on the Sacandaga river at Osborne Bridge was a Methodist Episcopal church, which they both joined and continued to be members in good standing as long as they lived.

(XXV) Adelbert Carmi, eldest child of John Carmi and Martha Haight (Quinby) Hayden, was born April 26, 1858, at Northville, Fulton county, New York. He graduated at the State Normal School, Albany, in 1882. He served in the capacity of teacher in the schools of Conklingville and Crescent, Saratoga county, and in Montgomery county, a position for which he was well qualified. Early in 1884 he accepted a position in the general postoffice department, Washington, D. C., and at the expiration of four years he resigned in order to accept a position at Saratoga Springs, New York, where he has since resided. For the past six years he has served as vice-president of the Lincoln Spring Company, and is actively identified with the interests of the company. During his residence in Washington he was a member of the Calvary Baptist Church, a member of the board of trustees and a teacher in the Sunday school. After coming to Saratoga Springs he and his wife joined the First Baptist Church, in which he has taken an active part, serving as a member of the board of trustees for twelve years, superintendent of the Sunday school five years, and either an officer or a teacher in the school for twenty years. He has been an active worker in the Young Men's Christian Association, been a member of the board of directors for almost fifteen years, being elected the first time under the presidency of G. F. Harvey, when they were located in the old Favorite Spring building; he served on the board while money was being raised and the site chosen for the present building. In 1901 he was elected a member of the Board of Education of the village for a term of three years, re-elected in 1904, and was nominated for School Director of the town of Saratoga Springs in 1910 on the Republican ticket, but was defeated, owing to the Democratic landslide. He was chairman of the teachers' committee for five years and a member of the teachers' committee for both his terms of office; he was also a member of the committee on schools for the entire six years; these were important committees of the board. He was one of the special committee that recommended the adoption of the domestic science department in the local public schools, was a member of the special committee that recommended the addition of manual training to the local curriculum, and was chairman of the teachers' committee that engaged the first instructors in each of these departments. Mr. Hayden married, March 9, 1887, Nellie Farr Lohnas, born in Schuylerville, New York, August 28, 1863, daughter of Deyoe and Huldah L. (Farr) Lohnas. Children:

  1. Grace Lohnas, born August 8, 1888, and
  2. Rita Marion, born February 13, 1893.

(The Quinby Line)

The name of Quinby, spelled now Quinby, Quimby and Quinbury, all of which are derived from the original name, Quinborough, corrupted to that of Quinbury, and finally Quinby, which is now the generally adopted style of writing the name. The name was derived from the name of a town in Norfolk county, England, called Quinborough. The family was originally of Norman-French extraction. The ancestors of the Quinby family in this country came from England. So far as known, only two men of that name came to America, viz., Robert and William Quinby. Robert Quinby settled in the town of Salisbury, Massachusetts, in June, 1653. He married Elizabeth Osgood, who bore him four children: Lydia, William, John and Thomas. Two of the sons moved to the state of New Hampshire and are the progenitors of the Quinby family in that state and in Maine. Some families there spell the name Quimby.

(I) William Quinby, the other early progenitor of the Quinby family in America, settled in Westchester, Westchester county, New York. In those early days the village of Westchester was only a small scattered collection of houses and even up to 1700, one writer says, "the inhabitants lived up and down" and even in towns they lived on farms of ten acres. It is uncertain who William Quinby married. There is only one son named in the local history and family records. His name was John.

(II) John, son of William Quinby, signed his name to one public document as "Quimbie." He was a man of weight and influence in his community. In 1664, when a patent was given for the land he and his neighbors occupied, he with five others, received it in trust for all. In 1665 he was a representative for his town in the assembly, summoned by Governor Nichols. He was a member of the organization corresponding to our present school board. He and his father were "dissenters," being members of the Congregational church, and when, at one time, they had no minister, John Quinby and three others were appointed to fill the vacancy. He married Deborah ————, who bore him four children: John, Charles, Josiah, Mary.

(III) Josiah, son of John and Deborah Quinby, moved to Mamaroneck, New York, where he purchased three hundred and twenty acres of land, comprising what was then called the "Great Neck." He is described later as being "late of Mamaroneck," so that it is probable that he returned to Westchester to live. He married Mary Mullinex (Molyneux), June 17, 1689. Children: Dorcas, Josiah, Jonathan, Samuel, Son, who died in infancy; Ephraim, Aaron, Moses, Daniel, Phoebe, Isaiah, Martha. It appears that Josiah Quinby and his wife joined the "Society of Friends" while living in Mamaroneck. The Society met with much acceptance in this neighborhood, and Thomas Chalkley mentions visiting there as early as 1725. In 1739 land was purchased and a meeting house erected. The half-yearly meetings for Friends in all this section were held in this house.

(IV) Moses, son of Josiah and Mary (Mullinex) Quinby, married Jane, daughter of Francis and Elizabeth Pelham, in 1730. Children: Elizabeth, Samuel, Frances, Mary, Josiah, Phoebe, Hannah, Isaiah, Martha, Son, who died in infancy; Susannah.

(V) Samuel, son of Moses and Jane (Pelham) Quinby, was born in Northcastle, Westcchester county, New York. He married (first), March 17, 1756, Anna, born at Beth Page [Bethpage], Long Island, October 2, 1736, daughter of Moses and Catherine Powel. He married (second) Phoebe Underhill, who bore him ten children, namely: Mary, Moses, Obadiah, Josiah, Jane, Catherine, Clara, Anna, Eliza A., and ————.

(VI) Obadiah, son of Samuel and Phoebe (Underhill) Quinby, was born March 5, 1761, died June 12, 1821. He married Freelove, born October 27, 1761, died December 1, 1829, daughter of Caleb Haight. Children: Anna, James, Mapelett, Hannah, Samuel, Aaron and Deborah. Obadiah Quinby lived at Milan, Dutchess county, New York, where his children were reared.

(VII) Aaron, son of Obadiah and Freelove (Haight) Quinby, was born August 2, 1799, died May 15, 1875. He married, at Milan, New York, June 6, 1826, Mary, born November 29, 1806, died July 4, 1886, daughter of Reuben and Susannah (Dean) Wilbur. Shortly after their marriage they moved to Duanesburg, Schenectady county, New York, where four of their children were born. About 1839 they moved to Glens Falls, New York, where they remained a few years. Their youngest child, Aaron Jay, was born there. Soon afterward they moved to the town of Stillwater, Saratoga county, New York, where they resided three years, on the bank of the Hudson river, between Mechanicsville and Stillwater. About 1850 they moved to the town of Edinburg, New York, where they resided on a farm until their death. Children: Sarah Ann, Susannah Freelove, Martha Haight, Edmond Carpenter, Aaron Jay.

(VIII) Martha Haight, third child of Aaron and Mary (Wilbur) Quinby, married, November 19, 1856, John Carmi Hayden (see Hayden XXIV), and they are the parents of Adelbert Carmi Hayden.

Go to top of page | previous family: Wood | next family: Shuler

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Hayden

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/hayden.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library