This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Chapter 93

History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925
Chapter 93: Company H, 105th infantry, N. G. S. N. Y.

[This information is from Vol. II, pp. 1385-1386 of History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, edited by Nelson Greene (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 974.7 G81h. This online edition includes lists of portraits, maps and illustrations. Some images have been relocated to the area in the text where they are discussed. As noted by Paul Keesler in his article, "The Much Maligned Mr. Greene," some information in this book has been superseded by later research or was provided incorrectly by local sources.]

Contents | Biographies | Illustrations | Maps | Portraits

Go back to: Chapter 92A | ahead to: Chapter 94

1900-1925, Historical sketch of Company H, 105th Infantry, National Guard, State of New York, of Gloversville, written by Captain Bernard W. Kearney, its commanding officer — Service on the Mexican border in 1916 and overseas in the World War with the 27th Division — "Busters" of the famous Hindenburg line — In action in Belgium and France.

Co. H, 105th Infantry, N. G. S. N. Y., was originally organized as the 19th Separate Company by order of Governor Theodore Roosevelt, and was mustered into the National Guard of the State of New York at Masonic Hall, Gloversville, N. Y., October 26, 1900, by Colonel Frederick Phisterer. It later was designated Company G, of the 2nd Regiment.

On the morning of May 15, 1901, this organization was ordered out for field service in aid of the civil authorities on account of the strike of the Unit Traction Company lines in the City of Albany. It camped in North Albany until Saturday afternoon, May 19th, when it returned to its home station. It was later ordered for field service, in aid of civil authorities, on account of a strike on the lines of the Hudson Valley Railroad on October 6, 1902. It remained on this duty until October 24th, when it again returned to its home station.

New Year's Day, 1903, it was ordered to Albany to act as guard of honor in the Capitol for Governor Odell, during his inauguration ceremonies. From then on the organization grew in members and efficiency, until the 29th day of June, 1916, when it was ordered into the service of the United States and left for the Mexican border as a part of the old 2nd New York Infantry, which regiment was commanded by Colonel James Andrews of Schenectady. The company was then commanded by Captain Roscoe Trumble, of Gloversville, N. Y. It remained in the service of the United States until the month of October when it was returned to its home station and mustered out of the service of the United States. To the credit of the company let it be said at this time that under the trying conditions of the Texas climate. no man ever was exhausted or quit on any one of the several hikes undertaken by the regiment while on the border. The company resumed drilling immediately on its arrival home, but it was not to enjoy a prolonged period of peace, for, on the 31st day of March, 1917, it was again ordered into the service of the United States in the war with Germany.

The company was sent to Watervliet, at which station it was recruited to full war strength. After leaving Watervliet, it mobilized at Schenectady, N. Y., with the rest of the regiment, from where they were sent to an encampment near New York City. They later entrained for their permanent training camp at Spartanburg, S. C., and remained there until the spring of 1918, when they left for overseas.

On arrival in France, they underwent a period of intensive training and were later moved to the front lines for their first baptism of fire. The organization had several men who wers decorated for valor by the United States and the Allies, prominent among whom were Sergeant Lee Ingraham and Sergeant George Rapport, who were both decorated with the Distinguished Service Cross, Ingraham in addition gaining the coveted French and British medals.

The organization participated in the following engagements while in France: East Poperinghe line; Dickebusch sector; Vierstraat Ridge; the Knoll-Guillemont farm; Quennemont farm; Hindenburg line; La Selle River; Jonc De Mer Ridge; St. Maurice River.

After the armistice on November 11, 1918, they were moved to a training area, preparatory to sailing home. They left France on the Steamship "Leviathan" and were landed at Hoboken, participating in the 27th Division parade at New York City, and were later mustered out of the service.

The depot unit, which was commanded by Captain Frank Fremmer, was federalized January 29th, 1920, and upon Captain Fremmer's resignation, the command was given to Captain Bernard W. Kearney of Gloversville, himself an overseas veteran.

During the month of May, 1921, the designation of the unit was changed from Company G, 105th Infantry, to Co. H, 105th Infantry, thereby becoming one of the three machine gun companies of the regiment. Today the company is at full strength and is noted as having several crack pistol shots on its pistol team, which is the championship team of the regiment.

The company is located in a beautiful building on Washington Street, Gloversville, and has its drill nights on Tuesdays at which time the public is cordially invited to attend.

Go to top of page | back to: Chapter 92A | ahead to: Chapter 94

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Chapter 93

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/mvgw/history/093.html updated February 10, 2010

Copyright 2010 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library