This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Henry Edgar Nelson

History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925
Henry Edgar Nelson

Index to All Biographies | Index to Biographies by County: Fulton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Schenectady, Schoharie | Search by keyword

Go to previous biography: Rev. John Henry Ready | next biography: William Sterling Pugh

[This information is from Vol. III, pp. 239-240 of History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, edited by Nelson Greene (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 974.7 G81h. This online edition includes lists of portraits, maps and illustrations. As noted by Paul Keesler in his article, "The Much Maligned Mr. Greene," some information in this book has been superseded by later research or was provided incorrectly by local sources.]

Contents | Portraits | Illustrations | Maps

Henry Edgar Nelson, marble manufacturer, was born at Cherry Valley, New York, on March 26, 1856, the son of Henry and Ann (Heavener) Nelson. Henry Nelson was born in England, on December 23, 1830, and came to America with his parents at the age of eight years. He was a barber by trade, and also ran a hotel at Roseboom, New York, later going to Cherry Valley, where he died on October 27, 1902. He was the son of John and Ann (Bregan) Nelson, both of whom were born in England and died in Cherry Valley. Ann (Heavener) Nelson, mother of Henry E. Nelson of this review, was born in Canajoharie, New York, in July, 1813, and died in Cherry Valley in December, 1916. Her parents were Peter and Nancy Heavener, the former of whom was born in the town of Canajoharie and died there. He was a farmer by occupation but did work on the old Erie Canal locks in Canajoharie. His wife was also born in Canajoharie and died there.

Henry E. Nelson was educated in the district school at Cherry Valley, and went to work at the age of nineteen as an apprentice stonecutter for Almond Brown, who was in the monument business in Cherry Valley and he worked for him at various times for about twenty-five years. In 1883 Mr. Nelson engaged in the monument business for himself at Cherry Valley, and conducted the business for twenty-two years, then, in 1905, removed to Herkimer, New York, where he is in the same business.

On November 23, 1881, at Little Lake, New York, Mr. Nelson was married to Miss Mary A. Bishop, who was born October 14, 1861, at Poland, New York, and died on October 31, 1914, at Herkimer, her parents being George and Amelia Bishop. To Mr. and Mrs. Nelson four children were born: Bertha M. Nelson, born in 1886, was married to William H. Perry of Little Falls, New York, and they have two children, Clifford and Stewart Perry; Leonard B. Nelson was born in 1889, and was married to Agnes Austin of Sharon Springs, New York. They have four children, Gertrude, Dorothy, Marjorie and Leonard B. Nelson, Jr.; Earl L. Nelson was born in 1896, and was married to Gertrude Bull of Montgomery county, New York, and they have two children, Mary Ann and Earl Nelson, Jr.; and Pearl L. Nelson was born in April, 1901, and married John DeNault of Rochester, New York. On December 22, 1881, Henry E. Nelson was married to Mrs. Sadie M. (Lewis) Cotton of Jordanville, New York, widow of the late Frank Cotton of Herkimer and daughter of Charles and Maria (Nichols) Lewis. Charles Lewis was born in Rome, New York, on May 13, 1830, and is now living in Syracuse, New York, at the age of ninety. His wife died in Frankfort, New York, on January 7, 1894. Mrs. Nelson has one daughter by her former marriage, Marjorie Edith (Cotton) Howison of Herkimer.

Mr. Nelson was trustee for the village of Cherry Valley from 1903 to 1905. For thirty years he has been a member of Cherry Valley Lodge, No. 102, I. O. O. F., of Moose Lodge of Herkimer and of the Down and Out Club of the same place. Politically he is a republican and for diversion turns to fishing as his favorite pastime. The careful dealings of Mr. Nelson have won for him the confidence of his friends and business associates.

Go to top of page | previous biography: Rev. John Henry Ready | next biography: William Sterling Pugh

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Henry Edgar Nelson

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/mvgw/bios/nelson_henry.html updated April 9, 2011

Copyright 2011 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library