This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » George Lenz, M. D.

History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925
George Lenz, M. D.

Index to All Biographies | Index to Biographies by County: Fulton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Schenectady, Schoharie | Search by keyword

Go to previous biography: Albert A. Miller | next biography: Roscoe Conkling Borst, M. D.

[This information is from Vol. IV, pp. 172-175 of History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, edited by Nelson Greene (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 974.7 G81h. This online edition includes lists of portraits, maps and illustrations. As noted by Paul Keesler in his article, "The Much Maligned Mr. Greene," some information in this book has been superseded by later research or was provided incorrectly by local sources.]

Contents | Portraits | Illustrations | Maps

To the residents of Gloversville and vicinity Dr. George Lenz needs no introduction. He has lived here since he was a boy and for nearly a quarter of a century has been practicing his profession as a surgeon in the city that has been his home practically all of his life. Born in the town of Palatine, Montgomery county, New York, on October 1, 1875, he is the son of Henry and Anna Margaret (Kinkle) Lenz, Germans by birth. The father was born August 11, 1845, and in 1852 as a lad of seven came to America with his parents. The Lenz family located at Stone Arabia, Montgomery county, New York, where Conrad Lenz, Dr. Lenz's grandfather, bought an improved farm which he operated for many years. He finally retired from active life and made his home at Fonda until his death, which occurred in 1892. His wife had passed away five years earlier. Henry Lenz, father of George Lenz of this review, took up the cheese-making business and followed that occupation at Stone Arabia and East Stone Arabia for quite a few years. On the 12th of December, 1888, he came to Gloversville to make his permanent home and engage in the grocery business. Until his retirement ten years ago he continued actively in the retail grocery trade, enjoying a liberal patronage from the people of this vicinity. His death occurred on the 16th of October, 1919. Mr. Lenz was a public-spirited citizen who always took a keen interest in civic affairs. For a couple of terms he served the city of Gloversville as assessor. Mrs. Lenz is still living here at the age of seventy-seven, her birth having taken place on September 18, 1847.

George Lenz was reared and educated at Stone Arabia and Gloversville, and is a graduate of the local high school, class of 1892. He taught school for two years before entering upon his long preparation for the medical profession, then entered the Albany Medical College, from which he graduated with the M. D. degree on the 2d of May, 1900. The young physician opened an office for the practice of his profession at No. 307 North Main street, Gloversville, that same year, and has been engaged in active practice ever since. The first of May, 1908, he bought the property at No. 68 Bleecher street, which is now his home and office. Beginning in 1903 Dr. Lenz has confined himself to surgical work and has risen to a high place in this branch of the profession, as his fellowship in the American College of Surgeons bears witness. In addition to caring for a large private practice he is serving as president of the staff of Nathan Littauer Hospital. By study and research he keeps well informed as to the latest developments in his branch of medical science and through his membership in the American, New York State and Fulton County Medical Associations comes into contact with his fellow colleagues who are working along similar lines.

On the 21st of May, 1902, Dr. Lenz was married to Miss Annie Borton Grant of Ingersol, Ontario, the daughter of the Rev. James and Ellen P. (Brown) Grant. Mr. Grant was a native of Scotland, while his wife claimed England as her native land. Their daughter, Mrs. Lenz, was born in England, on the 18th of April, 1872, and came to Canada with her parents the following year. Her father was educated for the Baptist ministry in Spurgeon's College, London, England, and held several charges in the Dominion in the thirty-nine years he made America his home. His death took place at Dundas, Ontario, February 12, 1912, at the age of sixty-seven, his birth having occurred May 11, 1846. His wife was born July 11, 1848, and died June 28, 1888, at the untimely age of forty. Besides Mrs. Lenz there were two sons in the Grant family: James, now a Baptist clergyman at Toronto; and Charles, a lawyer and King's Counsel, formerly located in Edmonton, Alberta. During the World war the younger brother joined the Canadian army, in which he held the rank of lieutenant and was killed while on duty. Dr. and Mrs. Lenz have four children: Edith Grant, born February 21, 1903, the wife of Clarence Marble, a telephone engineer living at No. 17 Stratfort Park, Rochester, New York; Henry Howard, born November 20, 1904, a senior at Cornell University, where he is taking a course in mechanical engineering; George Borton, born May 8, 1906, who is taking a scientific course at Hamilton College, where he ranks as a Junior; and Robert Kinkle, born June 7, 1909, a high school student in this city.

In spite of the many demands made upon his time and energy by his profession Dr. Lenz is able to take a prominent part in the club and social life of the city. In the Masonic order he has attained the rank of Noble of the Mystic Shrine, belonging to Cyprus Temple, Albany, and he is likewise affiliated with the local lodge of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The Doctor's religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Lutheran church, while politically he is affiliated with the republican party. He is a director of the local Young Men's Christian Association and through his membership in the Kiwanis Club gives his support to various movements for the advancement of the community along economic and civic lines. His clubs are the Eccentric Club and the Sir William Johnson Country Club, in the latter of which he is serving as a director.

Go to top of page | previous biography: Albert A. Miller | next biography: Roscoe Conkling Borst, M. D.

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » George Lenz, M. D.

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/mvgw/bios/lenz_george.html updated January 27, 2013

Copyright 2013 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library