This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Albert Henry Lawrence

History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925
Albert Henry Lawrence

Index to All Biographies | Index to Biographies by County: Fulton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Schenectady, Schoharie | Search by keyword

Go to previous biography: Henry Rebell | next biography: Harry A. Sinclair, D. D. S.

[This information is from Vol. III, pp. 597-598 of History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, edited by Nelson Greene (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 974.7 G81h. This online edition includes lists of portraits, maps and illustrations. As noted by Paul Keesler in his article, "The Much Maligned Mr. Greene," some information in this book has been superseded by later research or was provided incorrectly by local sources.]

Contents | Portraits | Illustrations | Maps

Albert Henry Lawrence, president of A. Lawrence & Sons Company, Incorporated, wholesale grocers, was born in the town of Wilmurt, Herkimer county, New York, on January 24, 1875, the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Richards) Lawrence. Henry Lawrence was born in England, and died in Mohawk, New York, in 1911. At the age of fourteen he came to America alone and settled in Torrington, Connecticut. He was a cutler by trade. His wife was born at Caroga, Fulton county, New York, and died in Mohawk in 1904. Her parents were John C. and Henrietta (Fisher) Richards. John C. Richards was born at Bingen-on-the-Rhine, Germany, and died in Herkimer, New York. He was a farmer and took an active interest in democratic politics, having been supervisor for the town of Wilmurt for a number of years. His wife was born in Holland and died in Herkimer.

Albert H. Lawrence was educated in the district school in the town of Herkimer and after completing his education was employed in the carding room of Morris Marks for two years; then went to Mohawk and worked in various mills as a spinner, after which he was employed as manager of the shoe store of H. McCreery in Herkimer for a time and later managed a store for Spicer & Weaver for eight months. He then entered the employ of the Remington Arms Company as barrel buffer in the Remington Typewriter Works for seven years, the last year being foreman. In July, 1909, he opened a retail grocery store in Herkimer and was thus engaged for eight years, then sold his stock and fixtures and went into the wholesale grocery business on Second avenue in Herkimer, under the name of A. Lawrence & Sons, Incorporated. They have continued under the same firm name and are very successful. Mr. Albert Lawrence is the president, his son, Leo A. Lawrence, is vice president, and Mrs. Elizabeth (Maguire) Lawrence is secretary-treasurer.

On April 29, 1895, at Little Falls, Mr. Lawrence was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Maguire, who was born on July 11, 1874, her parents being Hugh and Mary (Morrisey) Maguire. Hugh Maguire was born in County Caven, Ireland, in 1831, and died in Herkimer on January 26, 1917. He came to America at the age of fourteen and settled in Oaksville, New York, following the occupation of farming. He was the son of Michael and Margaret (O'Hara) Maguire, both of whom were born in Ireland. Michael Maguire died in Iowa City, Iowa, and was buried there, and his wife died in Mohawk, New York. Mary (Morrisey) Maguire, mother of Mrs. Lawrence, was born in the city of Limerick, Ireland, on August 15, 1837, and died in Mohawk, on March 15, 1912. She was the daughter of John and Nora (Clifton) Morrisey. John Morrisey, a blacksmith by trade, was born in Ireland and died in New York city. His wife was also born in Ireland and died in Little falls. Mrs. Lawrence was instrumental in building up the wholesale as well as the retail business and is manager of the office, while her husband and son, Leo A., travel in the interest of the business. She is a member of St. Frances de Sales Catholic church and the Rosary Society. She is affiliated with the republican party but is an independent voter.

Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence are the parents of three children: Leo A. was born April 26, 1896, and graduated from the Herkimer high school in 1917, after which he entered Georgetown University and was there for one year, when he enlisted for service on December 10, 1918, in the World war at Syracuse, New York, and was stationed at Norfolk, Virginia, Naval Aviation Station. He was honorably discharged on December 4, 1919, after which he became associated with his father in the wholesale grocery business in Herkimer; Mary Elizabeth was born on January 26, 1898, and attended school in Herkimer until her health failed; and Albert Leo Lawrence was born on August 26, 1909, and attends the Herkimer high school.

Mr. A. H. Lawrence was collector for the town of Herkimer for two years and overseer of the poor for four years. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and of the Down and Out Club, both of Herkimer. His church associations are in St. Frances de Sales Roman Catholic church. In politics he is a republican and was a committeeman for a number of years. For diversion Mr. Lawrence goes to his grandfather's old homestead in the town of Wilmurt and spends his time hunting and fishing.

Go to top of page | previous biography: Henry Rebell | next biography: Harry A. Sinclair, D. D. S.

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Albert Henry Lawrence

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/mvgw/bios/lawrence_albert.html updated July 30, 2011

Copyright 2011 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library