This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Anthony J. Kaiser

History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925
Anthony J. Kaiser

Index to All Biographies | Index to Biographies by County: Fulton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Schenectady, Schoharie | Search by keyword

Go to previous biography: Roof D. Miller | next biography: Utica Observer-Dispatch

[This information is from Vol. III, pp. 258-261 of History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, edited by Nelson Greene (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 974.7 G81h. This online edition includes lists of portraits, maps and illustrations. As noted by Paul Keesler in his article, "The Much Maligned Mr. Greene," some information in this book has been superseded by later research or was provided incorrectly by local sources.]

Contents | Portraits | Illustrations | Maps

Portrait of Anthony J. Kaiser

Portrait: Anthony J. Kaiser

[View enlarged]

For the past ten years Anthony J. Kaiser has been engaged in the leather manufacturing business in Gloversville and has risen to a prominent position in that industry, having a trade that reaches the consumers of buckskin all over the United States and Canada. Like many another man who has developed a prosperous business enterprise through his own efforts, Mr. Kaiser started from humble beginnings. Born in Fonda, Montgomery county, New York, December 29, 1870, he is the son of Anthony and Mary (Acker) Kaiser, both of whom are deceased. His parents were born in Germany, but came to America at an early age. When he was about eighteen or nineteen years of age Anthony Kaiser, Sr., settled in Gloversville, where he conducted a successful contracting and building business for a good many years, continuing actively in this line of work until his death. Many of the prominent buildings in the city today were erected by him and stand as permanent monuments to his ability and enterprise.

Anthony J. Kaiser was reared in Gloversville, where he obtained an education in the public schools. At the age of twelve, however, he put aside his textbooks and went to work in one of the local meat markets, being employed there for about a year. Subsequently he found a position with Mills Brothers, shoe leather manufacturers, where he first came into contact with the industry that has since engaged his entire attention. From Mills Brothers he went to Wood, Burton & Company, dealers in raw skins, who later took up the manufacture of leather. There he rose to a high position and became so thoroughly familiar with the business that he was retained as manager of the business for the estate four years after the death of the two partners. Ten years ago Mr. Kaiser went into the leather manufacturing business for himself at No. 57 South Main street. As his trade increased and his business prospered, Mr. Kaiser increased the facilities of his plant until it became necessary for him to have larger quarters. Accordingly, in January, 1920, he bought the fine, three-story building at the corner of Vine and Cayadutta streets, which now houses his establishment, a brick structure equipped with all the modern machinery in use in the industry. By making a specialty of buckskin he has developed a high grade product whose superior qualities have gained general recognition among manufacturers using leather of this type. He sells directly to consumers in all parts of this country and Canada and also does a large business through jobbing houses. The deer-skins for his work come from Mexico and Africa and are imported especially for the purpose.

Mr. Kaiser was married to Miss Juliet Flansberg, a daughter of Henry and Jane Flansberg, both of whom are deceased. During the Civil war her father served in the Union army, sustaining severe wounds that left him with an arm practically useless the rest of his life. Upon his return to the occupations of peace, however, he took up farming and was successfully engaged therein at Johnsburg, Warren county, New York, for the rest of his long and useful life. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Kaiser: Evelyn Mary and Anthony, Jr.

In addition to the leather business Mr. Kaiser has extensive farming interests in this vicinity, owning three fine farms to whose operation he gives much personal care and attention. Mr. Kaiser spends much time in the Adirondack mountains, as he is passionately devoted to both fishing and hunting, and rarely misses an opportunity to indulge in these sports. He is prominent in the fraternal and club life of the city as a thirty-second degree Mason, an Elk and member of the Eccentric and Chatiemac Clubs, and is president in the last mentioned club. His Masonic affiliations are with the following bodies of that order: Johnstown Chapter, No. 78, R. A. M.; Holy Cross Commandery, No. 50, Knights Templars; Cyprus Temple, of the Mystic Shrine of Albany; the Albany Consistory and Scottish Rite bodies. Mr. Kaiser's religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and politically he ranks as a republican. While he never seeks nor desires office he is always loyal to the cause which he espouses and ever stands for progressive citizenship. Mr. Kaiser is typical of the successful business man of today — wide-awake, energetic and resourceful, finding his opportunities in prevailing conditions which he utilizes wisely in the upbuilding of his prosperous industry — a citizen of whom Gloversville has good right to be proud.

Go to top of page | previous biography: Roof D. Miller | next biography: Utica Observer-Dispatch

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Anthony J. Kaiser

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/mvgw/bios/kaiser_anthony.html updated June 10, 2011

Copyright 2011 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library