This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Edward Owen Davies

History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925
Edward Owen Davies

Index to All Biographies | Index to Biographies by County: Fulton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Schenectady, Schoharie | Search by keyword

Go to previous biography: I. Earl Beekman | next biography: Alberti Baker

[This information is from Vol. III, pp. 619-620 of History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, edited by Nelson Greene (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 974.7 G81h. This online edition includes lists of portraits, maps and illustrations. As noted by Paul Keesler in his article, "The Much Maligned Mr. Greene," some information in this book has been superseded by later research or was provided incorrectly by local sources.]

Contents | Portraits | Illustrations | Maps

Edward Owen Davies, one of the prominent business men of Ilion, New York, was born in Bridgewater, New York, on November 24, 1869, the son of David and Gladys (Jones) Davies. David Davies, a farmer, was born in Wales and died in Litchfield, New York, on August 2, 1891. His wife was born in South Trenton, New York, and died in Ilion in March, 1900, aged fifty-nine years.

Edward Owen Davies was educated in the public schools and academy of Ilion, and when he was fifteen years of age he went to work on the farm with his father. Three years later he came to Ilion and was employed in the typewriter works there for six years. In 1893 he bought the laundry business of J. A. Rasbach, which he has conducted since that time.

On September 7, 1892, in Ilion, New York, Mr. Davies was united in marriage to Miss Mabel A. Green, daughter of Walter C. and Laura (Hamm) Green. Walter C. Green was born in the town of German Flats, New York, on March 30, 1833, and died in Ilion on March 22, 1917. By trade he was a carpenter and builder. His wife was born in South Columbia, New York, on January 2, 1844, and died in Ilion on March 5, 1880. She was the daughter of John and Amanda (Williamson) Hamm. Walter C. Green was the son of Ambrose and Martha (Frazier) Green. Ambrose Green was born on September 18, 1791, in Schodack, Rensselaer county, New York, and died in German Flats on June 5, 1863. His wife was born in German Flats and died there on April 24, 1842. Ambrose Green was the son of John Lester and Ruth (Barker) Green. John Lester Green was the son of Ambrose and Gula Elma (Lester) Green. Ambrose Green served as a private in the Fourth Albany County Regiment under Colonel Van Rensselaer, in the Revolutionary war. Mrs. Davies is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Ilion; a member of Mohawk Valley Chapter D. A. R. and of Evening Star Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, No. 82, both of Ilion. She is also a member of the Women's associate board of the Ilion Hospital. In politics she is a republican. Mr. and Mrs. Davies are the parents of three children: Gladys M. Davies was born on January 9, 1898, graduated from the Ilion high school in 1917, and from the Normal art course, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York, in 1921. She then taught school for two years, and is now associated with her father in business; Dr. Walter E. Davies was born on April 26, 1899, graduated from Ilion high school in 1918 and from Buffalo Dental College in 1923, with the degree of D. D. S., and is now practicing dentistry in Buffalo, New York. Dr. Davies was married on October 17, 1924, to Miss Marian E. Jones of Utica. She was born in Utica, on February 4, 1903, and is a graduate of Utica Academy, 1920; Helen E. Davies was born on December 22, 1902, and graduated from the Ilion high school in 1920 and from Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, in 1923. She was married to Rufus S. Phillips on January 1, 1924, who was born on September 29, 1900, in Pleasantville, New York. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips graduated from the same institute and in the same class, both interior decorators.

Edward Owen Davies was a trustee of the village of Ilion for two years. He served four terms in the legislature for the county of Herkimer — from 1917-1920. He is a life member of Herkimer County Historical Society; a member of Ilion Lodge No. 591, F. & A. M.; Ziyara Temple of Utica; Knights Templars Commandery of Little Falls; Ilion Lodge No. 1444, B. P. O. E.; and the Commune Bonum Club and is a director of the Permanent Building and Loan Association of Ilion. His church membership is in the Methodist Episcopal church, and for diversion he enjoys hunting and fishing.

Go to top of page | previous biography: I. Earl Beekman | next biography: Alberti Baker

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Edward Owen Davies

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/mvgw/bios/davies_edward.html updated September 29, 2011

Copyright 2011 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library