This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Albert W. Coulson

History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925
Albert W. Coulson

Index to All Biographies | Index to Biographies by County: Fulton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Schenectady, Schoharie | Search by keyword

Go to previous biography: John H. Jones | next biography: Hon. Martin Walrath

[This information is from Vol. III, pp. 584-585 of History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, edited by Nelson Greene (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 974.7 G81h. This online edition includes lists of portraits, maps and illustrations. As noted by Paul Keesler in his article, "The Much Maligned Mr. Greene," some information in this book has been superseded by later research or was provided incorrectly by local sources.]

Contents | Portraits | Illustrations | Maps

Albert W. Coulson, a widely known business man of Ilion, New York, was born in Franklintown, York county, Pennsylvania, on November 20, 1869, his parents being Alexander and Catharine (Heikes) Coulson, who were both born and spent their lives in York county. Alexander Coulson, a shoemaker and farmer, was the son of Francis Coulson who came from England, landed in Baltimore, and later migrated to York county, Pennsylvania. Catharine (Heikes) Coulson was the daughter of David M. and Leah (Grimm) Heikes, also of York county.

Albert W. Coulson was educated in the public schools of York county and at the age of eighteen became a salesman in the hardware store of Bentz & Son in Dillsburg, Pennsylvania, where he remained one year. He then went to Clear Springs in the same state, and worked nine years in the general merchandise store of John H. Dick, after which he went to Latimore, Adams county, Pennsylvania, where he and his brother-in-law, M. C. Wolf, opened a general store. After one year Mr. Coulson took over Mr. Wolf's interest and continued the business under his own name for eight years, then sold out. He then went to Camp Hill, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, where he and William Tripner bought a lot, erected a store and conducted a general merchandise business under the name of Tripner and Coulson. They conducted the business for two years when Mr. Coulson sold to his partner and went to Sunbury, Pennsylvania, where he ran a grocery and meat market for two years, then came to Ilion, and managed a grocery business for Charles Papworth, who had a chain of twenty-six stores. Mr. Coulson opened the Ilion branch and was manager for five years, then opened a grocery business for himself under the name of the Ilion Cash Grocery, which he operated for about seven years. On September 19, 1921, he bought out the coal business of A. D. Morgan, which he and his son, LeRoy, have carried on under the firm name of A. W. Coulson and Son until the present time.

On December 13, 1890, Mr. Coulson was united in marriage to Miss Bertha A. Wolf, who was born on January 12, 1873, the daughter of George A. and Elizabeth (Zeigler) Wolf. George A. Wolf was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania, and was a saddle and harness maker in Latimore. He was a Civil war veteran. He was school director for eighteen years, director of the poor and jury commissioner of Adams county. His wife was the daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Sheaffer) Ziegler, Mrs. Coulson was educated in the public schools of Adams county, Pennsylvania. She is a member of the Lutheran church at Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, and also a member of the American Legion Auxiliary and Women's Relief Corps, both of Ilion. In politics she is a republican.

Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Coulson: Earl A. Coulson was born at Clear Springs, Pennsylvania, on June 16, 1893. During the World war he served seventeen months overseas and was a member of the Motor Transport Aerial Service. He is now associated with A. W. Coulson & Sons in business. He is a member of Ilion Lodge, No. 1010, Order of Moose; American Legion, Crimm-Shaffer Post No. 920, and Nokomis Tribe No. 413, Improved Order of Red Men, both of Ilion; LeRoy Coulson was born on February 23, 1892, at Clear Springs, Pennsylvania. He was in training during the war at Camp Dix, New Jersey, and also at Camps Wheeler and Oglethorpe, Georgia, for ten months and discharged as corporal. He is associated with his father in the coal business in Ilion. He married Miss Marion Virginia Brown, daughter of Emory T. and Betty (Christman) Brown of Utica. Mr. Coulson is a member of Damon Lodge, Knights of Pythias, No. 25; Ilion Lodge No. 1444, B. P. O. E.; Beethoven Maennerchor; American Legion, Crimm-Shaffer Post No. 920; and the Auto Club; all of Ilion.

Albert W. Coulson is a member of Latimore Council, 691, Order of Independent Americans of Latimore, Pennsylvania, and a member of the Chamber of Commerce of Ilion. He is owner of the Empire block in Ilion. His church associations are in the Lutheran church of Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. In politics he is a republican.

Go to top of page | previous biography: John H. Jones | next biography: Hon. Martin Walrath

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Albert W. Coulson

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/mvgw/bios/coulson_albert.html updated July 29, 2011

Copyright 2011 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library