This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » Schermerhorn Genealogy » Schermerhorn Chronicles » Chapter IV (Part 4 of 5)

Schermerhorn Genealogy and Family Chronicles:
Chapter IV: Descendants of Jacob Jacobse Schermerhorn (Part 4 of 5)

Go back to: part 3 of Chapter 4 | ahead to: part 5 of Chapter 4

[This information is from pp. 258-286 of Schermerhorn Genealogy and Family Chronicles by Richard Schermerhorn, Jr. (New York: Tobias A. Wright, Publisher, 1914).]

Seventh Generation

202

ANDREW, son of (164) Jacob Schermerhorn and Nelly Vanderpool; b. Oct. 6, 1808; bp. in E. Greenbush; d. July 2, 1887; m. Sept. 6, 1830, SUSAN DINGS.

Children:

Andrew Schermerhorn lived at Schodack, N. Y.

203

JACOB I., son of (164) Jacob Schermerhorn and Nelly Vanderpool; b. Apr. 21, 1811; bp. in Schodack; d. Aug. 7, 1879; bur. in E. Greenbush, N. Y.; m. 1830, SARAH ANN LANSING.

Children:

James W. Schermerhorn was graduated from Rutgers College in 1860, with degree of A. M. He was a trustee of Rutgers, from 1871 to 1885, and was a member of the Delta Phi Fraternity. He was a publisher, and manufacturer of school furniture, and manager of a school agency from 1859 to 1885. In 1863 he lived at 86 E. first St., New York City, but later removed to New Jersey.

Barnet Schermerhorn is president of the Des Moines Creamery Co., of Des Moines, Ia. His son, Louis B., is Secretary of the same firm.

204

JACOB C., son of (166) Cornelius Schermerhorn and Alida Mull; b. Dec. 8, 1814; bp. in Schodack; d. 1891; bur. in E. Greenbush; m. JANE P. KIMMEY; b. 1817; d. 1905.

Children:

Jacob C. Schermerhorn was a lifelong resident of East Greenbush, N. Y., and a faithful member of the E. Greenbush Reformed Church. He was a deacon of the church in 1850, '51, and '53, and elder in 1866, '67, '72, and '73.

206

BARENT C., son of (167) Col. Cornelius I. Schermerhorn and Elizabeth Munden; b. Jan. 28, 1804; d. Mch. 10, 1872, in Troy, N. Y., m. Jan. 9, 1827, in Schodack, CATHARINE WITBECK; b. May 15, 1810; d. Oct. 31, 1898, at Lansingburgh, N. Y.; dau. of John A. Witbeck and Catharine Van Dyck.

Children:

Barent C. Schermerhorn was born at Schodack Landing, N. Y., and upon the death of his father inherited the old homestead of his ancestors. He was commissioned as Major on Aug. 11, 1831; as Lieutenant Colonel on June 26, 1834, and as Colonel on Sept. 9, 1835, of the 43rd Regiment, 8th Brigade, Ninth Division, of the New York State Militia, under Brigadier General Henry I. Genet. This regiment had been successively commanded by Colonel Schermerhorn's grandfather in 1777, and by his father in 1812. In 1838 he removed to Greenwich, New York, and in 1863 to Troy, N. Y., where he died. Barent C. Schermerhorn was always identified with the advancement of the best interests of the community in which he lived and for forty years he was a prominent member of the Dutch Reformed Church and its synods. His life was that of a Christian gentleman.

His son, the late Louis Y. Schermerhorn, refers to his father and family, as follows:

My father inherited the traits of his mother and but little of the characteristics of his father. He was of a gentle and loving nature, with a highly religious tendency and always gave the most unqualified credence to the integrity of his fellow men. Like the fathers of those days, he did not often relax with his children, nevertheless his goodness and love were manifest in his acts. His unbounded confidence in the assertions of his fellow men, led him to loan money and endorse notes for their benefit to such extent as to embarass him financially. He was a lover and reader of good books, and my earliest remembrances are of the family group gathered about the table, during the winter evenings, while he read aloud to wife and children.

My mother was married when but little more than sixteen years old, and children were never blessed with a dearer and more loving mother. Her life was devoted to husband and children and she lived to see all grown and settled well in life. During childhood and early youth we always said our evening prayers kneeling at her side, and her kiss upon our lips was the last benison as we fell asleep…"

209

JOHN B., son of (169) Barent I. Schermerhorn and Lucretia Barhydte; b. May 12, 1815; bp. in Schodack; d. Jan. 11, 1905; bur. in Vale Cemetery; m. (1) Feb, 14, 1836, in Schodack, CAROLINE CARPENTER; b. Nov. 15, 1818; d. 1841; m. (2) Aug. 28, 1842, SARAH CASE; b. Feb. 6, 1817; d. May 28, 1899; bur. in Vale Cemetery.

Children by first wife:

Children by second wife:

John B. Schermerhorn was born in Schodack, N. Y.. and in his early days learned the trade of Tanner and Currier. Soon after his marriage he removed to Saratoga County and established himself in the Harness, Saddle and Trunk business, which he continued for many years. He had a large shop and factory at Crescent, which was destroyed by fire and resulted in great loss. Soon after this he became a traveling representative of a number of book concerns, and eventually made a business of conducting auction sales of books, in which he was very successful, traveling through nearly every state of the Union. In 1872 he took up his residence in Schenectady and resided there until his death. His son, Isaac H., was taken in as partner in the auction and commission business.

John B. Schermerhorn was well known in Schenectady and greatly respected. His obituary notice refers to him as the "grand old citizen, loyal friend and considerate neighbor."

210

CORNELIUS, son of (170) Isaac Schermerhorn and Catharine Bogardus; bp. Aug. 20, 1797, in Schodack; d. Feb. 24, 1875; m. ELEANOR HOUGHTALING.

Children:

Cornelius Schermerhorn was a resident of New Scotland, Albany Co., N. Y.

211

EPHRAIM BOGARDUS, son of (170) Isaac Schermerhorn and Catharine Bogardus; b. July 29, 1799; bp. in Bethlehem; m. July 6, 1825, ELIZABETH MERRITT.

Children:

Ephraim B. Schermerhorn lived in Durham, Greene Co., N. Y.

The Rev. Martin K. Schermerhorn, son of Ephraim B., was graduated from Williams College in 1865, and from the Union Theological Seminary in 1883. He is a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity. He has held pastorates in Tarrytown, Arlington, Mass., and Ormond, Fla. He is the author of several works, principally of religious character, and has traveled extensively in Europe. He is at present residing in Cambridge, Mass., with his daughter. He is a well known lecturer on scientific and theological subjects.

214

DR. ANDREW YATES, son of (170) Isaac Schermerhorn and Catharine Bogardus; b. 1821; d. Oct. 13, 1863; m. 1856, GERTRUDE MOURUS; b. 1841.

Children:

Dr. Andrew Yates attended the Albany Medical School, and was graduated from the School of Medicine of New York University in 1852. He lived at that time in Alfred Center, Alleghany Co., N. Y. He later practised medicine at Fonda, N. Y., where he resided at the time of his death.

The Rev. Herman Mourus Schermerhorn attended Union College and was a member of the class of 1881. He was graduated from the Yale Divinity School in 1883, with degree of B. D., and spent the following year in post graduate work in Princeton Seminary. His son, Henry A., was graduated from Union University in 1912, with degree of A. B. His daughter, Helen I., was graduated from Vassar College in 1908 with degree of A. B. Mrs. Anna D. Schermerhorn and her children are residents of Schenectady, N. Y.

215

AARON WINNE, son of (171) Rev. Cornelius D. Schermerhorn and Katy Brandow; b. July 27, 1813; bp. in Prattsville; d. Mch. 7, 1888, in Kirkland, N. Y.; bur. in Greenwood Cem.; m. MARY A. PACK.

Children:

Aaron W. Schermerhorn removed from upper New York State to New York City, and as early as 1851 conducted a grocery business at 106 6th Ave., New York City. In later life he was an employee of the Harlem Railroad. He finally removed, in 1879, to Kirkland, Oneida Co., N. Y., where he resided at the time of his death.

Mathew H. V. Schermerhorn, the only son of Aaron, was born in New York City and accompanied his parents when they removed to Kirkland. He resided there until the death of his mother, his father having died several years previously and then, in 1904, went to reside at the old home of his wife's family in Stillwater, Saratoga Co. In 1909 he was elected President of the Village of Stillwater, and declined a second term in 1910, on account of ill-health. It is said that he was a most distinguished looking man, and when Hugh J. Grant was Mayor of New York, was often taken for him, so close was the resemblance. Mathew H. V. Schermerhorn served on the General Committee appointed by the Governor, in connection with the Hudson-Fulton Celebration in 1909.

217

CORNELIUS A., son of (172) Abraham D. Schermerhorn and Maghdalena Kittle; b. July 25, 1809, in Coeymans, N. Y.; d. Mch. 11, 1899, in E. Durham, N. Y.; m. Oct. 29, 1834, ALCHE ANN RACHEL EVORY; b. May 25, 1814, in Durham, N. Y.; d. Jan. 23, 1900, in E. Durham, N. Y.

Children:

Cornelius A. Schermerhorn was a resident of Durham, Greene Co., N. Y.

218

NICHOLAS A., son of (172) Abraham D. Schermerhorn and Maghdalena Kittle; b. 1829; m. 1853, LUCY J. STEARNS, of Castleton.

Children:

Nicholas A. Schermerhorn was a resident of Castleton, Rensselaer Co., N. Y. He was a coal dealer and for some time served as a director in the Castleton National Bank. He was also a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Castleton.

219

EDGAR J., son of (175) John D. Schermerhorn and Catlena Springsteen; b. Jan. 23, 1829; d. Aug. 8, 1897; m. Nov. 20, 1862, EMILY J. CLARK.

Children:

Edgar J. Schermerhorn lived on the old homestead farm of his grandfather, Capt. Daniel C. Schermerhorn, at Schodack Landing, Rensselaer Co., N. Y. His daughter, Mrs. Frank Lyman still resides there.

220

CORNELIUS, son of (175) John D. Schermerhorn and Catlena Springsteen; b. Feb. 20, 1831; m. (1) Dec. 22, 1852, in Albany, RUTH ANN ADAMS; m. (2) June 7, 1875, MRS. CATHARINE GAGE; m. (3) Apr. 2, 1890, MRS. LENA MESICK.

Children by first wife:

Children by second wife:

Children by third wife:

Cornelius Schermerhorn is a resident of Springfield, Mass., where his sons, John D., Cornelius Jr., Burton and Winfield, also reside. He has been a farmer the greater part of his life, and successful to the extent that he has been able to bring up a large family properly, and to accumulate sufficient means to retire some fifteen years ago and spend his later years in peace in comfort.

221

CORNELIUS, son of (176) Jacob Schermerhorn and Eleanor Jenkins; b. Apr. 3, 1811; d. June 27, 1893, in Penfield, N. Y.; m. (1) AMY PARKS; m. (2) about 1845, MARY PARKS; she d. Apr. 1864.

Children by first wife:

Children by second wife:

Cornelius Schermerhorn resided in Sand Lake, N. Y., for the greater part of his life. He was the proprietor of a knitting mill, for the manufacture of woolen goods and men's underwear. He had the misfortune to lose his factory by fire in October, 1860, but rebuilt and continued the business until 1867, when he retired, making his home with his son George during the ten years previous to his death. He was always deeply interested in public affairs, but was elected to no office except that of Justice of the Peace, which he held for nearly twenty years.

Richard E. Schermerhorn attended the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy for a short while, but soon after the burning of his father's mill, removed to Medina, N. Y., where he became part owner of a paper mill. The climate not agreeing with him, he removed, about 1889, to Brooklyn, N. Y., where he lived for the remainder of his life.

222

[Photo: original size (16K) | 4x enlarged (65K)] NICHOLAS I., son of (177) Isaac P. Schermerhorn and Maria Cain; b. Mch. 26, 1818, in Duanesburgh, N. Y.; d. Apr. 24, 1886; m. Jan. 6, 1841, in Scotia, SUSAN CHISM; b. Mch. 21, 1818; d. Sept. 30, 1897; dau. of Conrad Chism.

Children:

Nicholas I. Schermerhorn was one of the pioneer broom manufacturers of the Mohawk Valley. As soon as he finished his education he took up agriculture, realizing the importance of the fertility of the celebrated Mohawk Flats. He immediately started the raising of broom corn, not only upon his own lands, but upon those of the Shaker Colony. The Shakers at that period were conspicuous figures in the agricultural world, being large property owners in the Valley.

At the age of twenty-six he engaged in the manufacture of brooms. Through his far sightedness in becoming first a producer of broom corn and then using his own product in the manufacture of brooms, he became one of the largest manufacturers in the United States. After thirty-three years of continuous manufacturing he retired in 1877. An interesting feature in connection with the land he had under cultivation was that three hundred acres of it was purchased by him of Bartholomew Schermerhorn, this property having descended successively for many generations from the original settler, Jacob Janse Schermerhorn.

Nicholas Schermerhorn was closely identified with the business interests of Schenectady. He was contractor and builder of the Schenectady and Duanesburgh Railroad. This railroad connected Schenectady with the through line to the coal fields of Pennsylvania, and is now known as the Deleware and Hudson Company. He was Director in many corporations, such as the Schenectady Car Company, Schenectady Knitting Company, Schermerhorn Milling Company, Schermerhorn Coal Company, Schenectady Bank and McQueen Locomotive Works. The last named plant was the original plant purchased by the Edison Machine Company, now the General Electric Co.

He was a staunch Republican, being the leader of this party locally for nearly a quarter of a century. He served as County Treasurer, 1866-70.

He was closely identified with the religious and social organizations of the city, namely, the First Reformed Dutch Church, one of the oldest churches in America, also St. George's Lodge Masons, Mohawk Club, etc.

William G. Schermerhorn was born in Rotterdam, N. Y. (now known as Bellevue). After finishing his course in the public schools he entered Folsom's Business Academy at Albany, N. Y., graduating in 1869. He then became interested in many of his father's enterprises, acting in the capacity of private secretary to his father. In 1874 he became joint owner with his father of the Schermerhorn Coal Co., at the same time acting as Deputy County Treasurer of Schenectady Co. In the early eighties he was elected a member of the Board of Trustees of the Schenectady Savings Bank. In 1885 he relinquished the active management of the different business concerns in which he was interested and entered the banking business, being elected Cashier and Director of the Schenectady Bank. In 1899 he was made President of the same institution. In 1901 he was actively identified in the merging and consolidation of the Schenectady Bank and the Schenectady Trust Co., being made First Vice President of the Schenectady Trust Co. In 1905 he resigned from the Schenectady Trust Co., after twenty years of continuous service in the banking business, as he was desirous of devoting his time to his private interests and travel. During the twenty years he was actively interested in the banking organizations of the State, being Chairman of Group Five of the New York State Bankers' Association. After eighteen months of retirement he was prevailed upon to enter it again and he was elected in 1906 the first President of the Citizens' Trust Co., of Schenectady, N. Y., which is now one of the largest banking institutions in the Mohawk Valley.

William G. Schermerhorn is closely identified with the business life of Schenectady, being a director in many corporations. He is much interested in the civic welfare of Schenectady and its benevolent societies, as he is President of the Vale Cemetery Association, President of the Board of Trustees of the Young Women's Christian Association, Trustee of the Children's Home, Old Ladies' Home and First Reformed Church and Ex-President of the Schenectady Board of Trade. He is also a member of the Mohawk Club, Mohawk Golf Club and the Holland Society of New York.

223

JOHN NORTH, son of (178) Nicholas P. Schermerhorn and Anna Freezon; b. Oct. 15, 1815, at Duanesburgh; d. Jan. 10, 1886; m. JEANNETTE RECTOR.

Children:

224

JASON BEEBE, son of (179) Ryer Schermerhorn and Hannah K. Beebe; b. Aug. 9, 1819; d. Aug. 28, 1898; m. 1844, MARION C. OSBORN of Depauville, N. Y.; d. May 16, 1901.

Children:

Jason Schermerhorn was born in the family homestead in Deerfield, N. Y. He was graduated from the near-by school known as Fairfield Seminary. About 1844 he assumed control of the homestead farm, his sisters Julia and Louisa, remaining there. At the opening of the Civil War he enlisted as a volunteer and received an honorable discharge. He re-enlisted again, however, so as to accompany his oldest son Schuyler, who at an age of less than 18 years, enrolled as drummer boy. He was later made clerk on account of his excellent penmanship. Jason Schermerhorn was by nature very strong and hardy and led a most adventuresome life. He made two trips to California, one in the days of the forty-niners, crossing the Isthmus one way and rounding Cape Horn the other. He was shipwrecked upon a hostile shore, where he remained three weeks before rescued.

On one occasion when in San Francisco he engaged as ship's carpenter for Melbourne, Australia, but before actually signing articles he changed his mind and instead went on an expedition far back in the mountains in quest of gold. He met with many exciting adventures and narrow escapes from death. At one time he cared for eight men having the small-pox, but did not contract it himself. Until his last illness he had never been sick but once, and then he had what was known as "Panama fever."

In 1869 he went to reside in Watertown, N. Y., and erected a large and handsome residence, which is still in the possession of the family. In 1870 he entered the employ of the "Watertown Steam Engine Co." as master millwright and foreman of of the Pattern Department. In this capacity he was sent to all parts of the United States to superintend the erection of engines, large chimneys, etc. He remained with this company for twenty-six years and then retired, moving to Brownville, to reside with his daughter, Minnie. He was a strong Republican and an active worker in the G. A. R. In 1884 the Emmanuel Congregational Church was built near his home and he helped largely in a financial way, being to this day spoken of, with reverence, as the Father of this Church. He was a man whose advice was much sought and never questioned. He was a consistent Christian gentleman and in every way a most honorable and manly man. His daughter states, "Never in all my life can I remember one unkind word or look. He was a devoted husband, an affectionate and indulgent father, and a true friend. To me, his daughter, he was a saint on earth, and I know he is now in Heaven." He died in Brownville and is buried in the family plot, where a few years previous to his death he had erected a handsome monument.

Schuyler W. Schermerhorn, eldest son of Jason Schermerhorn, resides at Chaumont, N. Y., and Mrs. Frazier, daughter of Jason, resides at Watertown, N. Y.

225

[Photo: original size (10K) | 4x enlarged (32K)] DR. WILLIAM BROADWILL, son of (179) Ryer Schermerhorn and Hannah K. Beebe; b. Feb. 25, 1824.; d. Sept. 14, 1889; m. Oct. 5, 1853, SUSAN E. FOSTER; b. May 16,1833; d. Aug. 19, 1878; dau. of Elijah Foster and Maria Atherton.

Children:

William B. Schermerhorn was born in Newport, Herkimer Co., N. Y. He was graduated from Hamilton College in 1850 and from the New York University Medical School in 1854. He was enrolled as Asst. Surgeon of the 37th Regt., N. Y. State Volunteers, Sept. 6, 1862, and served until June 22, 1863, when his regiment was discharged from service. He practised medicine eight years in Ellington, N. Y., fourteen years in Middleville, N. Y., and about twelve years in Kennedy, N. Y. He also was Justice of the Peace for many years and was always on the School Board. He died in South Dakota. Dr. Schermerhorn and wife were members for many years of the Free Baptists' Church at Ellington, N. Y., and nearly all of their children eventually were members. William B. Schermerhorn "was a genial comrade, loved a good story as well as Lincoln, whom he was supposed to strongly resemble."

Charles Sumner Schermerhorn was educated at Chamberlain Institute, Randolph, N. Y., and at Hillsdale College, Mich., where he was prepared for the ministry. He was a brilliant and tireless student and won many honors and prizes. His health failed just before he was to have graduated. He taught several years in S. Dakota and later entered the ministry, preaching in New York State and in Ohio.

Susan Schermerhorn Pratt was educated at Hillsdale College, Mich., and was a pioneer teacher in S. Dakota. She returned later to New York State, where she was married.

Minnie May Schermerhorn was educated at Hillsdale College, Mich., and taught school in S. Dakota.

Franz Sigel Schermerhorn was educated at Hillsdale College, Mich., and became a pioneer farmer and teacher in S. Dakota. He later went to California and Washington, but eventually returned to the home of his youth, Kennedy, N. Y.

226

WILLIAM D., son of (181) Ryer Schermerhorn and Catalina Curry Chase; b. Sept. 7, 1819; d. Mch. 4, 1892; m. Sept. 14, 1841, MARY PAYNE.

Children:

Ryer Curry Schermerhorn was born in Deerfield, N. Y. He was educated at Whitestown Seminary and began his career as a school teacher in his home district at the age of 15, and taught school altogether for forty years. He was a successful instructor at Oriskany, Poland, Middleville, Knoxboro, Lee Center and Deansboro, N. Y.

227

EVERT LANSING, son of (182) Hendrick and Hannah Schermerhorn; b. Nov. 3, 1823; d. Dec. 18, 1908; m. ARMINDA R. WEBSTER; b. Aug. 24, 1828; d. Apr. 10, 1887.

Children:

Henry D. Schermerhorn is a resident of South Hammond, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y.

228

WILLIAM GROESBECK, son of (184) Cornelius Schermerhorn and Nancy Hetherington; b. May 4, 1821; d. Mch. 4, 1909; m. Dec. 12, 1850, ABIGAIL FENNER; b. 1827; d. Feb. 5, 1912.

Children:

William G. Schermerhorn was born at North Gage, N. Y., and moved to Conneautville, Pa., in 1854, and is buried there. He was a carpenter and builder and later a farmer. His son John C. still resides in Conneautville, where he is a prosperous farmer.

229

CORNELIUS, son of (184) Cornelius Schermerhorn and Nancy Hetherington; b. May 7, 1840; m. Apr. 12, 1882, ALICE E. HARTNESS.

Children:

Cornelius Schermerhorn was born in North Gage, Oneida County, N. Y. He attended school at Whitestown Seminary, near Utica, and eventually made his residence in Poland, Herkimer County, where he now lives. He has been active in town affairs the greater part of his life and was a director of the Poland National Bank for over thirty-five years.

He became interested in the cheese making industry in his early life, first during the summer of 1865. His father had maintained a dairy of 50 cows, in connection with which his early experience in milk products had been obtained. His work in the factory proving unusually successful, he undertook the management of cheese factories and creameries in other districts, and established a reputation as an expert in this industry. As a result of this, he received an offer from an English Association in 1869, to introduce the American cheese factory system in England. He accepted this offer, and on February 19, 1870, sailed from New York City on the steamer Helvetia, for Liverpool. He arrived at Liverpool, Monday, Mch. 7, and was met there by Edwin Hayes of London, of the firm of William Cary & Co., English shippers, who went to Derby with him, where they met the committee in charge.

Plans were then perfected and work commenced at once to develop facilities for making cheese according to the American plan. After this factory was in operation, Mr. Schermerhorn was requested by the same committee to build a factory at Longford, England, on the estate of the Hon. E. K. W. Coke, brother of the Earl of Leicester. He then sent for his brother Levi, who came and took charge of the plant at Derby. The plant built by Mr. Schermerhorn at Longford was the first cheese factory built in entirety in England. In the winter of 1870-1, Mr. Schermerhorn was engaged to go to Broek, Waterland, Holland, to fit up and manage a factory there. He managed the factory in Broek during the winter and in the spring returned to Derby, where he spent another season managing the plant and giving instructions in the work. On January 13, 1873, he sailed from Liverpool on the Steamship Calabria of the Cunard Line, and after a stormy voyage of 17 days, landed in New York, and returned to North Gage. He continued in the work of fitting up and managing creameries and factories in New York State, Vermont and Connecticut, until 1884, when he was obliged to retire on account of ill health. He then returned to his home in North Gage. In the spring of 1885 he went to Poland, Herkimer County, where he accepted the position as one of the directors and secretary and treasurer and salesman of the Sprague Wagon Manufacturing Co., which position he held until the company disposed of the plant.

Alice E. Hartness, wife of Cornelius Schermerhorn, is a graduate of the Potsdam Normal School, class of 1878, and from 1878 to 1880 was teacher in the same school. Mabel Schermerhorn Kenyon is a graduate of the Potsdam Normal School, class of 1906. Her husband, Harvey H. Kenyon, is a graduate of the Oneonta Normal College, class of 1905. He taught as principal of High Schools until 1912, and is at present (1912) taking a B. S. course in Teachers' College, Columbia University, New York City. Florence H. Schermerhorn is a graduate of the Utica Conservatory of Music, class of 1910, and is at present a music teacher. Helen E. Schermerhorn is a graduate of the State Normal College of Albany, class of 1912, degree A. B. She is a teacher of Latin and mathematics in the Schoharie High School, Schoharie, N. Y.

232

JOHN L., son of (187) Lucas R. Schermerhorn and Albertine Schermerhorn; b. July 13, 1833; d. Nov. 5, 1901; bur. in Kinderhook; m. PHEBE BAKER.

Children:

John L. Schermerhorn was a prominent member of the old Reformed Dutch Church at Muitzeskill, serving as deacon and elder from 1883 to the time of his death, with two short intermissions.

The boyhood days of Lucas R. Schermerhorn were passed in Schodack, N. Y. After finishing his education, he went as a teacher in a mission school for Indians in Indian Territory, afterwards entering business with his brother, W. Irving Schermerhorn, in Chicago. W. Irving Schermerhorn also lived in Schodack in his youth and when still a young man removed to St. Louis, Mo., soon afterwards moving to Chicago, where he joined his brother in what has developed into an extensive and successful cordage business, with branch offices at Omaha, Cleveland, St. Louis and Kansas City.

233

JAMES I., son of (188) Isaac R. Schermerhorn and Elizabeth Folmsbee; b. Dec. 9, 1826; d. 1899; m. MARY PRICE; d. June, 1911.

Children:

James I. Schermerhorn resided at Lake George, Warren Co., N. Y., and his children were all born there. He was a contractor and builder and his sons carry on the business under the name of the Schermerhorn Construction Co.

236

HIRAM, son of (189) Lucas D. Schermerhorn and Louise Decker; b. Dec. 26, 1828; d. Oct. 24,1864; m. Oct. 1, 1857, in Schodack, HETTY MARIA SCHERMERHORN; b. 1831; d. 1895; dau. of Lucas R. Schermerhorn and Albertine Schermerhorn.

Children:

Hiram Schermerhorn, when a young man, joined the gold seekers in California. He came back to his native town, Schodack, N. Y., for a short time, married, and with his wife returned to California, where he died.

Miss Louise Schermerhorn resides with her cousin, Mrs. Nellie Pinney, in Muitzeskill, Schodack, N. Y. It is through her conscientious efforts that the genealogy of the Schodack branch of the Schermerhorn family has been rendered so nearly complete.

237

LEROY, son of (189) Lucas D. Schermerhorn and Louise Decker; b. July 10, 1836; m. Oct. 28, 1858, SARAH E. MOULD; b. Feb. 14, 1841; d. Sept., 1912.

Children:

Leroy Schermerhorn served as U. S. Customs Inspector in New York City for 40 years. He has been Alderman in Jersey City, N. J., where he resides, for several years, and has served on the Board of Education. His son Horace was a member of the Board of Aldermen, Jersey City, at the time of his death.

238

HORACE, son of (189) Lucas D. Schermerhorn and Louise Decker; b. Oct. 29, 1838; m. (1) Oct. 18, 1866, JULIA A. MOULD; b. Jan. 9, 1843; d. June 23, 1876; m. (2) July 2, 1877, EMMA JANE MORLEY; b. Feb. 13, 1847.

Children:

Horace Schermerhorn served in the Civil War as Corporal, Co. D, 9th N. Y. S. Militia (83rd N. Y. Vols.). He enlisted May 29, 1861, and was wounded at the Battle of Antietam and was discharged Dec. 15, 1862. His son Leon is Sales Manager in the firm of Keuffel & Esser, Manufacturers of Engineering Instruments, New York and Jersey City. Alroy Schermerhorn is cashier in the Manhattan Trust Co., New York City. Julian H. Schermerhorn is Treasurer of the Dixon Crucible Company, Jersey City, N. J.

239

WILLIAM J., son of (190) Jacob D. Schermerhorn and Ruth Butler; b. Feb. 12, 1822; d. Nov. 1, 1876; m. (1) MARY J. BUSHNELL; d. Mch., 1865; m. (2) LODUSKIE A. WINTERS.

Children by second wife:

Charles L. and his brother Frederick H. are residents of Hunter, Greene Co., N. Y., in the Catskill Mountains.

240

PHILIP, son of (190) Jacob D. Schermerhorn and Ruth Butler; b. June 16, 1823; d. Sept. 13, 1899; m. HANNAH GOES.

Children:

The children of Philip Schermerhorn were born in Lexington, Greene County, N. Y., where the family resided for many years.

241

CAPT. PORTER J., son of (190) Jacob D. Schermerhorn and Ruth Butler; b. Apr. 15, 1831; d. 1910; m. ELIZABETH B. GILLETT, widow of Philip L. Schermerhorn.

Children:

Porter J. Schermerhorn was born in Lexington, Greene Co., N. Y. He was a school teacher in his early youth, in Greene County, becoming later a storekeeper in Jonesville, Saratoga Co. In 1862 he enlisted in the 128th Regt., and was made First Sergeant. Later he was made acting Lieutenant, and being transferred to the 91st Louisiana was commissioned Quartermaster, with rank of First Lieutenant. At the end of the year he was appointed Postmaster of Canton, La., with rank of Captain. Soon after this he returned home and was married. He subsequently became a storekeeper and conducted a mercantile business in both Saratoga County and Schenectady County. In 1884 he moved to Mechanicville, Saratoga Co., where he resided at the time of his death, and was a prosperous merchant. He occupied a farm containing 200 acres.

242

BENTON MONROE, son of (194) John P. Schermerhorn and Julia A. Benton; b. Mch. 6, 1842; d. May 10, 1900; m. May 6, 1867, CLARA CUNNINGHAM; b. Apr. 21, 1846; d. Mch. 12, 1909.

Children:

Benton M. Schermerhorn was a manufacturer in Philadelphia. He was a soldier in the Civil War. He enlisted July 13, 1861, in the 1st Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, and was discharged Oct. 9, 1861, having been taken prisoner at Lexington, Ky., and paroled.

Frank Earle Schermerhorn is a member of the Philadelphia Bar; also Treasurer of Smith & Furbush Machine Co. of Philadelphia, Pa., and Cohoes, N. Y. He was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, Class of 1892, College (A. B.), and Class of 1894, Law (LL. B.).

Clarence Eaton Schermerhorn is an architect in Philadelphia.

243

JACOB L., son of (196) John Schermerhorn and Betsy Fink; b. Apr. 22, 1818; d. Nov. 30, 1862, in Greenbush, Wis.; m. Nov. 19, 1850, CLARISSA PORTER; b. Apr. 20, 1831, in Ellington, Chautauqua Co., N. Y.; d. Feb. 5, 1903.

Children:

Jacob L. Schermerhorn lived in Ellington, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., at the time of his marriage, and soon afterward, in about 1853, removed to Wisconsin, where he settled in Greenbush, Sheboygan Co. His son Ira L., removed to California in 1890 and followed mining as an occupation. Later he purchased a farm, and now raises fruit and vegetables for the market, "on the beautiful foothills of California." He is located at Placerville, Eldorado Co., California.

245

JOHN C., son of (199) William Schermerhorn and Mary Sharp; b. Jan. 19, 1802; bp. in Bethlehem, N. Y.; d. Oct. 22, 1841, in Palmyra, N. Y.; m. (1) Feb. 3, 1825, in Schodack, HARRIET MARIA VAN NESS; b. June 21, 1804; m. (2) Jan. 29, 1831, HELEN CHRISTINA VAN NESS; b. June 23, 1806, in Claverack, N. Y.; d. Jan. 15, 1894, in Council Bluffs, Ia.; both daus. of John Van Ness and Sarah Van Allen.

Children by first wife:

Children by second wife:

Byron Schermerhorn was assistant to Harvey D. Colvin, agent of the United States Express Co., at Chicago, for many years, and later was associated with Fred Harvey in the management of the Harvey Hotels on the Santa Fe System. He served in the Civil War as Lieutenant of Co. D, 21st N. Y. Volunteers. He was taken prisoner at one time, but escaped.

John Cookson Schermerhorn was a newspaperman. He was connected with the Council Bluffs (Iowa) Nonpareil for many years.

246

JOHN H., son of (200) Jacob L. Schermerhorn and Lavina Horton; b. July 31, 1824; m. ASENATH HASTINGS.

Children:

Byron W. Schermerhorn was a resident of New Haven, Oswego Co., N. Y.

247

HON. JOHN ROGER, son of (201) John R. Schermerhorn and Mary M. Cannon; b. Feb. 14, 1847; m. Oct. 6, 1874, MARY JANE WAGNER, of Harrisburg, Pa.

Children:

John R. Schermerhorn was born at North Branch, Sullivan County, N. Y. His father died when he was three years old, leaving his mother to care for five young children. At the age of nine years he left home and from this period on took care of himself, working for his board and clothes and going to school when he had a chance. When about sixteen years old he made arrangements with Prof. Frank G. Sevenoak, then in charge of the Liberty Normal Institute, whereby he should have the privilege of certain schooling, to be paid for by work at the place. He spent some time educating himself under these conditions, finally entering into commercial life in a printing office. For some time he worked for small salaries in various occupations, and then went to New York City, where he was employed in a drygoods store at a fair salary. At the age of twenty-one he became connected with the firm of Mills & Gibbs, then at 408 Broadway. The second year he took charge of the business for this firm in Pennsylvania, traveling through the State. Altogether, he remained with this firm for sixteen years, resigning eventually on account of ill health, at which time he had worked up to a salary of $5,000 per year, with headquarters in Harrisburgh. While in Harrisburgh he was a member of the City Council, a member of the M. E. Church Official Board, an officer in Perseverance Lodge of Masons and President of the Y. M. C. A. He was also one of the first members of the Board of Trade and also helped to organize and was a Director of the Merchants' National Bank, now one of the leading banks of Harrisburgh. In 1888 he removed to Denver, Colo., and engaged in the real estate and loan business. He was elected to the State Senate of Colorado in 1896. Though in politics a Republican, he was a personal friend and follower of Hon. Henry M. Teller and a warm adherent of William J. Bryan. He had the largest majority of any man elected on the Senatorial ticket in 1896. During his term as Senator he introduced and had put on the statutes several good laws, among which was the one taxing property a certain amount for the support of public libraries. He was made Chairman of the Banking and Insurance Court, also a member of the Finance Court and State Institutions. At the opening of the Second Term he was elected President Pro Tem and was Chairman of the Court on Rule and Order of Business. He served several weeks as Acting Lieutenant Governor, and at one time, but for illness, would have served as Acting Governor of the State. At the expiration of his term as State Senator, he was appointed a member of the Board of Control of the Boys' Industrial School. He finished twelve years of service on this Board in March, 1913, having been President of the Board for several years. He is at present Vice-President of the Guardian Trust Co. of Denver and of the National Safety Vault Co. of the same city. He has been President of the Denver Church Society of the M. E. Church for more than twenty years, has been Class Leader in Trinity M. E. Church for more than twenty years, and is the only one left on the Court, of the original members of the State Executive Court of the Y. M. C. A. of the State. He was Chairman of this Board for nine years. He is a member of the Sons of the Revolution and of the New York Society of Denver.

Go to top of page | back to: part 3 of Chapter 4 | ahead to: part 5 of Chapter 4

You are here: Home » Families » Schermerhorn Genealogy » Schermerhorn Chronicles » Chapter IV (Part 4 of 5)

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/schermerhorn/chronicles/4d.html updated February 28, 2011

Copyright 2011 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library