This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Stedman

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Stedman

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Pitkin | next family: Fuller

[This information is from Vol. I, pp. 157-169 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

The family name of Stedman is derived from the word signifying a place enclosed; a station, or standing-place, thus first applied to a man who undoubtedly dwelt in an enclosed place, as cities were anciently walled, and in the Dutch "stad" and "stede" signify a town.

Evidently when the first man to accept this cognomen appeared away from his home he was hailed or known more or less widely as "the man from the city," or from the place within walls, and so as to distingush him from any others bearing a similar given name, such as John, he was called "John from the city," which was equivalent to saying "John Stedman."

(I) John Stedman, the progenitor in America of the Albany branch of the Stedman family of which any positive record appears, probably emigrated with his brother, Thomas Stedman, to New London, Connecticut. He removed to Hartford, where in 1651 he lived on Wall street, and later he moved to Wethersfield, Connecticut, where he lived on what was known in 1910 as Jordans Lane. He was apparently one of the leading men of the then western part of Connecticut. For several years he was a member of the general court, or assembly, of that colony. As an influential and representative Church of England man, he, with others, signed a memorial demanding to be released from paying taxes for the support of the state church and ministers who would not administer communion to or baptize the children of such men. He was commissioned lieutenant of the Hartford County Dragoons, and while in command of that organization was killed on December 19, 1675, in the Great Fort fight with the Narragansett Indians at South Kingston, Rhode Island. He is buried at Wethersfield, Connecticut. To John and his wife, Elizabeth, according to the records of the First Church of Hartford, were born six children:

  1. John, April 5, 1651;
  2. Mary, September 24, 1653;
  3. Thomas, October 9, 1655;
  4. Robert, February 1, 1658, see forward;
  5. Samuel, February 17, 1660;
  6. Elizabeth, November 9, 1665.

(II) Robert, son of John and Elizabeth Stedman, was born at Hartford, Connecticut, February 1, 1658. He removed to Windsor, Connecticut, about 1690. He seems to have been active in church affairs, having in 1694 signed a petition for a minister in Windsor-Farms, and obtained permission for his sons Robert and Joseph to sit on the beams of the meeting-house during service. He had at least two children, Robert, whose birth does not appear to be recorded, and Joseph, see forward.

(III) Joseph, son of Robert Stedman, was born at Windsor, Connecticut, in April, 1686, and according to the records of the First Church in Hartford, was baptized on April 4, 1686. He built the first house in Wapping, and thereby aroused the anger of the Indians, who fired on him, and on one occasion an Indian's bullet pierced his clothes and grazed his skin. The section of Windsor still known as Stedman Hill is probably the site of this house. According to Stiles' Ancient Windsor, he married, January 7, 1709, Sarah Taylor, born July 6, 1679, at Suffolk; died December 24, 1762, daughter of Stephen and Joanna (Porter) Taylor. Children:

  1. Sarah, born May 22, 1710;
  2. Sarah; Stephen, July 30, 1718;
  3. Ebenezer, August 31, 1721;
  4. Phineas, November 1, 1723.

(IV) Phineas, son of Joseph and Sarah (Taylor) Stedman, was born at Windsor, Connecticut, November 1, 1723. He removed from Windsor, and is said to have lived a short time in Stafford, Connecticut. Later heremoved to Chicopee (now a part of Springfield), Massachusetts, where he is found listed in 1775, with his two sons, for assessment. Children:

  1. Phineas, born 1750; married Sarah Howard;
  2. John, see forward.

(V) John (2), son of Phineas Stedman, was born in July, 1753, either at Windsor or Stafford, Connecticut, and died in Southbridge, Massachusetts, in 1794. The Massachusetts soldiers' record states that he was a minuteman, and served at least three months in the continental army during the siege of Boston. Copeland's History of Hampden County, Mass. says: "When the struggle of the colonies with the mother country broke out at Lexington, messengers were sent to the settlements on the Connecticut for soldiers, and sixty-two men from Springfield responded on the moment, of whom Chicopee furnished * * * * John Stedman and Phineas Stedman, Jr. * * * On April 24th, Gideon Burt's company was enlisted for three months' service as follows: privates * * * John Stedman * * *." John Stedman married, September 25, 1777, Hannah Howard, born March 28, 1755, died March 26, 1842, at Sturbridge, Massachusetts. Children:

  1. Benjamin, born August 8, 1778, died, unmarried, January, 1802.
  2. Joseph, April 28, 1781, see forward.
  3. John, February 3, 1783; married Bathsheba Sherman; died October 1, 1857.
  4. Elfleda, May 28, 1785, died, unmarried, December 5, 1843.
  5. Tryphena, May 14, 1788; married Waterman Potter; died December 17, 1867.
  6. Beman, August 22, 1790; married Lucinda Tiffany; died June 12, 1865.
  7. Lemuel, March 16, 1793; all probably born at Chicopee, Massachusetts.

(VI) Joseph (2), son of John (2) and Hannah (Howard) Stedman, was born April 28, 1781, probably at Chicopee, Massachusetts, died at Southbridge, Massachusetts, August 18, 1852. He married, October 19, 1806 at Southbridge, Massachusetts, Matilda Clark, born, probably at Southbridge, August 22, 1787, died at Southbridge, April 27, 1747, daughter of Lieutenant Isaac and Anna (Bixby) Clark. All their children were born at Southbridge, Massachusetts. Children:

  1. John Porter, born December 20, 1808, see forward.
  2. Francis A., July 24, 1810; married Marrietta Hooker; died at Worcester, Massachusetts, March 5, 1847.
  3. Lucian, April 11, 1812, died in infancy.
  4. Caroline, June 29, 1814, died unmarried, January 4, 1885, at Taylor's Falls, Minneapolis.
  5. Matilda, April 13, 1819; married Ward Folsom; died at Taylor's Falls, Minnesota, February 4, 1901.
  6. Joseph, August 20, 1821; married Lillie Percy; died April 20, 1870, at Los Angeles, California.
  7. William C., January 22, 1826; married Ruth Ann Brown; died June 5, 1898, at South Boston, Massachusetts.

(VII) John Porter, son of Joseph (2) and Matilda (Clark) Stedman, was born in what is now the town of Southbridge, Massachusetts, in that portion known as Globe Village, December 20, 1808. There he lived until his death, November 26, 1884. He was educated at the public school of that village. During the whole of his business career he was in the employ of the Hamilton Woolen Company of Southbridge. Beginning as a boy worker in the wool-sorting room, he advanced through successive grades to that of the wool purchaser for the concern, which position he held for a number of years. Having acquired a sufficient estate and tiring of the traveling which his position demanded, he resigned his office and devoted the latter years of his life to public matters. When the First Baptist Church of Southbridge was organized, he was made church clerk, and held this office for many years. He was on different occasions the treasurer of the same church. Several times he was chosen selectman of the town. He was trustee of the Southbridge Savings Bank, 1848-80; vice-president of it, 1858-74, and its president 1874-80. John Porter Stedman married, at Southbridge, Massachusetts, June 5, 1828, Thais Maria Hooker, born at Charlton, Massachusetts February 27, 1801, died there February 12, 1852, daughter of John Parker Hooker (the son of Amos Hooker, a corporal in a Massachusetts regiment dur1ng the war of the revolution) and Polly (Winslow) Hooker. Children, born in Southbridge, Massachusetts:

  1. John Hooker, born November 26, 1829; married Sarah Edwards, died October, 1850, without children.
  2. George Lavater, November 3, 1831, see forward.
  3. Harriet Maria, May 19, 1834, died in 1837.
  4. Maria Clark, May 9, 1837; married Joseph D. Dexter, and in 1910 was residing at San Diego, California.
  5. Mary L., June 13, 1840; married Charles B. Sumner; died July, 1893, at Pomona, California.

(VIII) George Lavater, son of John Porter and Thais Maria (Hooker) Stedman, was born in Southbridge, Massachusetts, November 3, 1831, died in Albany, New York, March 15, 1898. He received his early education in the public school of his native place and at the high school of Springfield, Massachusetts. Later he attended Worcester Academy and the University grammar school at Providence, Rhode Island. He entered Brown University in 1852. At graduation he was president of his class which inaugurated the modern classday at Brown. He was graduated therefrom, in 1856, second in his class with the degree of A.B., and with the honor of salutatorian. In college he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternities, and his: college gave him the degree of A.M. He then entered the Albany Law School, from which he was graduated in 1857 with the degree of LL.B. The same year he was admitted to the bar at Albany, of which city he then became a resident, and in which he practiced law until his death. He was there successively a member of the law firm of Stedman & Strong;. Stedman & Shepard; Stedman, Thompson & Andrews, and latterly of Stedman & Stedman, all located at No. 445 Broadway, Albany. In 1871, Mr. Stedman took up his residence in Loudonville, a suburb of Albany. His interests outside of his family, profession and his farm were mainly religious and educational. He was elected trustee of the school at Loudonville and mainly through his efforts it was changed from a district school to a modern grammar school. He had in his young manhood joined the Baptist church in Southbridge, and on coming to Albany became a member of the then Pearl Street (in 1910 the Emmanuel) Baptist Church, and was closely identified with it for the remainder of his life. At his death he was said to be the leading representative of the Baptists in Albany. He was president of the New York Baptist Union for Ministerial Education, 1885-98; trustee of the Rochester Theological Seminary, 1885-98; trustee of Colgate University, 1890-98; president and trustee of Hudson River Baptist Association North, 1883-98; chairman of its missionary committee, 1886-98, and moderator of its meeting in 1883; trustee of the Emmanuel Baptist Church of Albany, 1883-98, and clerk of the church, 1864-67. He was for many years superintendent of the Loudonville Union Sabbath school, and was prominent in the founding of the Baptist Social Union of Albany and Troy, serving as president of the association for two terms. He was one of the organizers and trustees of the New York and New England Agricultural Association; organizer and trustee of the people's Gas Company of Albany, 1880-85; a life member and at one time secretary of the Albany Young Men's Association; vice-president of the Young Men's Christian Association; and one of the earliest promoters of the Albany Historical and Art Society. At the time of his death he was counsel for the town of Colonie, in which he resided, and the law for the organization of which he drew. The judgment of his fellows as to his characteristics and attainments is attested by the following excerpt from the minutes of a meeting of the Albany Bar Association held in his memory. "He became a good lawyer by doing good work. * * * Abundance of professional work came to him from the first and he was known to do it well. * * * Then, as years went on, great financial interests more and more sought his help. Moneyed corporations became his clients, large manufacturing establishments invoked his guidance, ecclesiastical and educational interests were intrusted to his charge, large estates came under his management. * * * He was an able lawyer, grounded in the principles of law, conversant with leading cases * * * he was a safe, trustworthy, and wise counsellor. * * * But Mr. Stedman was not alone an excellent lawyer; he was a wise counsellor in the practical affairs of life which do not touch the law. He was a kind friend, a consistent and useful churchman, a good neighbor."

George L. Stedman married, Albany, May 6, 1863, Adda Maud Shuler, Woolverton, daughter of George Alonzo and Caroline (Shuler) Woolverton (see Woolverton VI); she was born in Albany, May 29, 1840, died at Loudonville, Albany county, New York, September 28, 1909. Children:

  1. George Woolverton, born in Albany, September 9, 1864, see forward.
  2. Frank White, Albany, December 7, 1867, see forward.
  3. John Porter, Loudonville, New York, April 8, 1871, see forward.
  4. Charles Sumner, Loudonville, November 6, 1874, see forward.

Adda Maud Shuler (Woolverton) Stedman was daughter of George Alonzo and Caroline (Shuler) Woolverton. She was born at Albany, New York, May 29, 1840, died at Loudonville, Albany county, New York, September 28, 1909. She received her education at the Albany Academy for Girls (formerly the Albany Female Academy), from which institution she was graduated in 1859, and to which she always gave her affectionate interest, being a member since graduation of its Alumnae Association and of its Semper Fidelis Society. Early in life she became a member of the Pearl Street Baptist Church of Albany, now the Emmanuel, and the early religious influence of her home and church she carried into her maturer years, being a devoted member of the church until her death, a teacher and superintendent of the primary department of the Loudonville Union Sunday school, the president of the Woman's Baptist Missionary Society of her church from the death of her mother, a former president, until her own death, and an active supporter of all missionary enterprises, both home and foreign. She was frequently a delegate to conventions and meetings of religious and missionary societies, joining her devotion to them with her love of travel. Her philanthropic and educational interests were numerous and widespread, especially prominent being her gifts to an art collection at Colgate University at Hamilton, New York, in memory of her husband. Mrs. Stedman's position as president for many years of the Home for Aged Men of Albany, as manager of the Albany Guardian Society, as a member of the Auxiliary of the Young Men's Christian Association, and as manager of the Young Women's Christian Association, and her interest in many of Albany's other philanthropic institutions, all bear testimony to her numerous benefactions. During the many years of Mrs. Stedman's varied public interests and activities, her devotion to her home and friends was never sacrificed, and she is especially remembered as a home builder.

(IX) George Woolverton, son of George Lavater and Adda Maud Shuler (Woolverton) Stedman, was born in Albany, New York, September 9, 1864. He removed with his parents to Loudonville in 1871, where he has since resided, his winter home in 1910 being at No. 100 Chestnut street, Albany. He attended in succession the Loudonville Union Free School, the Albany Academy, from which he was graduated in 1883, the University of Rochester, from which he was graduated in 1885 with the degree of B.S., and the Albany Law School, from which he was graduated in 1887, with the degree of LL.B. While in college he was a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, and in the Law School he joined the Phi Delta Phi fraternity. Later he was given the degree of M.S. by his college. He was admitted to practice law in 1887, and was the following year taken into the law partnership of Stedman, Thompson & Andrews, of which his father was the senior member. In 1896 his father and he formed the partnership of Stedman & Stedman, and upon the death of the former, the son associated his brother, Charles S., with him under the same firm name. This firm has continued to practice law till now, 1910, in the same office where his father studied and practiced at Albany. Mr. Stedman is interested in several religious, educational and financial institutions. He is and has been for over ten years a trustee and secretary of the Emmanuel Baptist Church of Albany, of which he is a member; trustee and president of the Hudson River Baptist Association North, and has been moderator of that association; and for over fifteen years a trustee of Colgate University. He was a trustee of the Albany Academy and the first president of its Alumni Association; trustee of the Baptist Union for ministerial education; director of the People's Gas Company of Albany, the Park Bank of Albany, and the National Exchange Bank of same city. He is a director of the First National Bank of Albany, the Union Trust Company, and the City Safe Deposit Company, of Albany. In politics he is a strong Republican. On the formation of the town of Colonie, Albany county, he was elected a justice of the peace and thereby became a member of the first town board of that town. He was a delegate to the state Republican convention in 1894, and in 1897 was elected member of the New York assembly from the fourth district of Albany county, when he served on the important committees of judiciary and internal affairs. He is a member of the Fort Orange Club, the Albany County Bar Association, the Albany Chamber of Commerce, the Albany Country Club and of the Albany Institute and Historical and Art Society. On June 18, 1898, at Loudonville, he married Harriet Teresa Mather, born at Albany, New York, December 25, 1865, daughter of Adrian Onderdonk Mather, born at Burlington, Otsego county, New York, May 22, 1835, died July 18, 1883, and Sarah (Whitford) Mather, born at New Lisbon, Otsego county, New York, October 30, 1839. Mr. and Mrs. George W. Stedman have one child, George Woolverton, Jr., born at Loudonville, Albany county, New York, September 28, 1900.

(IX) Frank White, son of George Lavater and Adda Maud Shuler (Woolverton) Stedman, was born at Albany, New York, December 7, 1867. He removed with his parents to Loudonville, New York, in 1871, and returned to Albany after his marriage in 1893, removed to Utica in 1901, where he resided in 1910. He attended the Loudonville Union Free School and the Albany Academy. Starting early upon a business career, he was employed for a few years by the People's Gas Company, of Albany, and by Tracey & Wilson of the same city. For a short time he was a wholesale dealer in coal, and later a manufacturer of paste, all at Albany. On removal to Utica, he entered upon the manufacture of adhesives on a large scale, and after several years of hard work established under the name of the Tacks Manufacturing Company, a prosperous business with distributing agencies in England and throughout this country. In 1896 he was elected a director of the Albany Art Union. He was one of the first members of Philip Livingston Chapter, Sons of the Revolution. He is a member of the Emmanuel Baptist Church of Albany. He married, Albany, February 14, 1893, Clara H., daughter of Ralph W. and Ann Elizabeth (Glazier) Thacher. Children:

  1. Woolverton Thacher, born at Albany, July 12, 1895, and
  2. Francis (Frank) White, Jr., born at Utica, January 19, 1909.

(IX) John Porter, son of George Lavater and Adda Maud Shuler (Woolverton) Stedman, was born at Loudonville, New York, April 8, 1871, died, unmarried, at Albany, New York, March 24, 1910. His earliest education was obtained at the Loudonville Union Free School, after which he entered the Albany Academy, from which he received its mathematical diploma on his graduation in 1890. Shortly afterward he entered the employ of his brother, Frank W., who was then in the coal business in Albany, and remained with him until 1897. He then formed a partnership with Herbert Best, under the firm name of Best & Stedman, and with him conducted a large wholesale drug business for several years at Albany. In 1903 Mr. Stedman retired from this business, and to regain his health traveled extensively through practically every section of North America. Since that time he also devoted himself to agriculture. He was a member of the New York State Fruit Growers' Association and the Western New York Horticultural Society, and had been assistant superintendent of the New York and New England Agricultural Society. By the constant attendance at the meetings of these societies and close study of the latest authorities on these subjects, as well as by independent experiments, he became one of the leading exponents in his county of modern methods of farming, and made of the place where he was born and continued to reside until his death, a model farm. He was concerned in numerous religious and charitable institutions. At the time of his death he was a deacon of Emmanuel Baptist Church of Albany, where he was long an active member, and president of the board of managers of the Albany City Mission. He had served as moderator of the Hudson River Baptist Association North, and was on numerous occasions chosen as delegate to the conventions of various organizations identified with his church and denomination.

(IX) Charles Sumner, son of George Lavater and Adda Maud Shuler (Woolverton) Stedman, was born at Loudonville, New York, November 6, 1874. He was educated at the Loudonville Union Free School, the Albany Academy and Brown University, from which he was graduated in 1896 with the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy, and then took the course at the Albany Law School, graduating in 1898. He was admitted to the bar, July 6, 1898, and associated himself with his brother, George W. Stedman, under the firm name of Stedman & Stedman, continuing the partnership which had existed between his father and brother. He has been president of the Brown University Alumni Association of Albany; secretary and treasurer of the Delta Kappa Epsilon Association of Eastern New York; secretary of the Albany Baptist Missionary Union, 1896-1906, and its president, 1907-09. He has served continuously on the missionary committee of the Hudson River Baptist Association North since the death of his father, March 15, 1898, who had been chairman for many years. He is actively interested in the Young Men's Christian Association of Albany, and has served as director since February 1, 1901: He has been secretary and a director of the Albany Academy Alumni Association, an organizer of the Albany Industrial Brotherhood, an organizer and treasurer of the Albany Grenfell Association, an organizer of the Committee of Prevention of Tuberculosis of the State Charities Aid Association, charter member of the Albany County Bar Association, and its secretary since January, 1908. He has been a director of the Albany Insurance Company since 1893. He is a member of the Emmanuel Baptist Church of Albany, and has held numerous offices in the various organizations identified with the church. He is a member of the Fort Orange, University and Albany Automobile clubs, and secretary of the University Club. He has always maintained his residence at Loudonville, New York. He married at Loudonville, New York, September 20, 1899, Agnes Lauder McEwan, born at Albany, January 28, 1876, daughter of Walter McEwan, born at Glascow, Scotland, June 1, 1843, and of Abby Stuart (McKissick) McEwan, (see McKissick IV), born May 18, 1851, at Albany. Children:

  1. Charles Sumner, Jr., born at Albany, April 9, 1902;
  2. Walter Stuart, Albany, March 20, 1904;
  3. Richard Lauder, Loudonville, July 9, 1907.

(The Woolverton Line)

[Editorial note: this section contains references to Ringwood, which is in Passaic County. This may be an editing error in the original book for Kingwood, in Hunterdon County.]

Charles Woolverton, of Amwell, Hunterdon county (formerly a part of Burlington county), New Jersey, is the first ancestor of the Mohawk Valley Woolvertons of which we have absolute records. In a deed to him in the west Jersey records, consisting of a hundred acres of land and bearing date August 20, 1693, he is described as a husbandman of Burlington county, in that colony. In "Snell's History of Hunterdon County, New Jersey," [Editorial note: this may be James P. Snell's History of Hunterdon and Somerset Counties, New Jersey] it is stated that on March 2, 1714, he purchased a tract of one thousand six hundred and sixty-five acres, in and about Rosemont, New Jersey, and upon his death left two hundred and eighty acres to each of his six sons; that he came from Long Island, and that the family originally came from Wolverhampton, England.

There are reasons for believing that Charles Woolverton emigrated from England with his brothers, John and Gabriel, and after living a short time on Long Island, moved about 1680 to the Pennsylvania bank of the Delaware river, from which locality he soon removed to Burlington county, on the opposite bank. Besides being a man of considerable means, he appears to have been one of the leading men in his community. On the erection of Hunterdon county, he was in 1721 elected one of its first five justices of the peace, and thereafter was frequently called on to witness his neighbors' wills. He is supposed to be the Charles Woolverton who, in 1731, was appointed overseer of the Friends (Quakers), settled at Bethlehem. All his children were probably born near Rosemont, New Jersey. Children:

  1. Charles, born January 17, 1698; married Margaret ————; died in October, 1765, at Amwell, New Jersey.
  2. Roger, December 1, 1700.
  3. Mary, April 11, 1702.
  4. Daniel, March 8, 1704.
  5. Isaac, April 24, 1706.
  6. Dennis, January 26, 1709, see forward.
  7. David, March 25, 1711.
  8. Joel, born May 31, 1715.
  9. Thomas, May 11, 1717.

(II) Dennis, son of Charles Woolverton, was born January 26, 1709, probably at Rosemont, New Jersey, died August 9, 1774, being buried at the place of his birth. He was for several years church warden of the church at Kingwood. By his will he gave his homestead to his wife, Elizabeth, and their son Jonathan, and to his daughter, Mary, and grandson, Nathaniel, his plantation, describing the latter as "the only son of my oldest son Charles. He married Elizabeth Pettit. Children:

  1. Charles, born at Rosemont, New Jersey, see forward.
  2. Mary, married General Daniel Bray, May 2, 1772.
  3. Jonathan, born 1754, married Mary Bancroft; removed to Canada, probably locating at Forty Mile Creek in October, 1798, where he died in 1831.

(III) Charles, son of Dennis and Elizabeth (Pettit) Woolverton, was probably born at Rosemont, New Jersey. He was accidentally drowned in the Delaware river in 1763. He married Anne, daughter of John Jewell, of Amwell, New Jersey, by whom he had but a single child, Nathaniel, see forward. It is probable that this John Jewell is responsible for the connection of the Woolvertons with the Baptists of the Mohawk Valley, in which denomination they have been prominent for four generations. Barbor & Howe's Historical Collections of New Jersey relates that John Jewell and others built the first Baptist church in the town of Amwell in 1766, and that, at one time the church was without a pastor, the regular supply being shut out of the house by Mr. Jewell because he was thought to be too favorable to the British.

(IV) Nathaniel, son of Charles and Anne (Jewell) Woolverton, was born January 14, 1763, probably at Ringwood, New Jersey, died at Glen, Montgomery county, New York, November 22, 1835. His mother marrying shortly after his father's death and while Nathaniel was a young boy, he was taken into the household of his maternal grandfather, John Jewell, and lived with him in Amwell, New Jersey, until his own marriage, January 4, 1786, at Amwell, to Pamelia Hudnut, born July 2, 1770, died at Glen, New York, September 1, 1853. For a year or two after his marriage, he resided in Amwell and then removed to Ringwood, New Jersey, probably to the farm that came to him from the estate of his grandfather, Dennis Woolverton. After living there some six years, he removed to Montgomery county, New York, and on September 29, 1794 purchased for 550 pounds a farm of two hundred acres in William Corey patent. This farm is situated in the present towns of Glen and Charleston, Montgomery county. Upon this estate Nathaniel Woolverton erected a fine, substantial house, which was standing in 1910, and there reared his large family. He continued to live there until his death. He and his wife are buried in the cemetery of the Baptist Church at Charleston, New York. One of his granddaughters describing him says: "He was a man of heroic courage, stirling integrity, a firm believer in God and His attributes and generous in word and deed." Children:

  1. Edward, born at Amwell, New Jersey, January 11, 1787, see forward.
  2. Ann, born May 16, 1789, at Ringwood, New Jersey; married, January 5, 1827, Phineas Rowley, of Cherry Valley; died October 9, 1878; both he and his wife buried at Charleston, New York.
  3. Charles, born at Charleston, New York, April 5, 1791; married, May 11, 1812, Margaret Blair; both died in August, 1825, at Charleston, of yellow fever.
  4. Sarah, born February 16, 1793; married, November 11, 1815, Ephraim Wilcox, died June 2, 1855, in Ohio.
  5. John Dennis, born January 30, 1795; married, June 20, 1822, Adaline McNamee; died October 31, 1830, in Vincennes, Indiana.
  6. Charlotte, born December 27, 1797; married, September 9, 1828, Peter Wyckoff, of New York, died February 3, 1865; both he and wife buried in Albany.
  7. Mary, born June 6, 1799; married, January 1, 1820, Peleg Osborn, a descendant of the House of York, England; died April 12, 1867, at Saratoga, New York.
  8. Hiram, born October 15, 1800, died March 12, 1830, at Woolverton Homestead, in Charleston, New York.
  9. Keron Happuck, born October 12, 1802; married, January 22, 1829, Lyman Haughton; died September 1, 1853, at Toledo, Ohio.
  10. Gains, born November 23, 1804; married, March, 1839, Gazena Margaret Visscher.
  11. Lucretia, born November 22, 1806, died at Glen, New York, April 6, 1881.
  12. Rhoda, born June 4, 1808, died March 13, 1809.
  13. Ozias, born April 28, 1810, died February 14, 1811.
  14. Nathaniel Haft, April 18, 1814, at Charleston, New York; married, January 4, 1849; Jane Overbaugh; died at Glen, New York, April 29, 1867.

(V) Edward, son of Nathaniel and Pamelia (Hudnut) Woolverton, was born at Amwell, New Jersey, January 11, 1787, died at Pittsfield, Massachusetts, September 4, 1874. His grave is beside that of his wife in the Albany Rural Cemetery. His early married life was spent in Charleston, New York, but about 1827 he removed to Oppenheim, New York, then to Canajoharie, New York, in 1830, and in 1832 to Albany, New York, where he lived thereafter until his death, excepting perhaps for a brief period when he was at Grand Spring, Wisconsin. He was at first a farmer, later he dealt considerably in livestock and subsequently, at Albany, was a forwarder of goods, principally on boats plying the Hudson river. A dignified man, with a large, cleanshaven face, always appearing in an old-fashioned stock tie, he impressed his great-grandchildren, who remember him, as a true gentleman of the old school. He was long a member of the Pearl Street (now Emmanuel) Baptist Church of Albany. Edward Woolverton married, at Glen, Montgomery county, New York, June 5, 1811, Asenath Wilcox, born there March 17, 1790, died, at Albany, July 31, 1857, daughter of Sylvanus and Sarah (Johnson) Wilcox, (see Wilcox VI). Children:

  1. Lavinia, born at Charleston, New York, May 2, 1812, died, unmarried, at Albany, New York, September 14, 1889.
  2. George Alonzo, Charleston, September 12, 1813; see forward.
  3. Sarah Anne, Charleston, October 31, 1815; married, at Albany, September 28, 1836, Peter Monteath; died October 28, 1883, at Albany.
  4. Henry Mortimer, Charleston, January 28, 1818; married, Cleveland, Ohio, August 12, 1844, Louisa Johnson; died at Topeka, Kansas, March 24, 1874, and is buried at Albany in the Rural Cemetery.
  5. Chestine, Charleston, July 12, 1821; married, at Albany, September 7, 1847, James Collin; died at Bridgeport, Connecticut, March 16, 1883.
  6. Harriet, Charlestown, August 18, 1824; married, Albany, December 9, 1844, Jenkins W. Scoville, of Grand Spring, Wisconsin; died at Pasadena, California, May, 1908.
  7. Elizabeth, Oppenheim, New York, December 4, 1826; married, at Madison, Wisconsin, July 9, 1850, James Duane Ruggles; died at San Francisco, California, March 20, 1897.

(VI) George Alonzo, son of Edward and Asenath (Wilcox) Woolverton, was born in Charleston, Montgomery county, New York, September 12, 1813, died at Albany, New York, May 5, 1896, where he was buried with his wife in the Albany Rural Cemetery. His childhood and youth were spent in Montgomery county and he there received his education in the district schools of Charleston, Oppenheim and Canajoharie. He came to Albany in 1832 with his father, for whom he worked at farming until about the time he became of age. Shortly after he moved to Albany, where he resided until his death, he became clerk in a store in that city where boots and shoes were sold. Becoming in this manner familiar with that business he, in 1837, started a wholesale boot and shoe business for himself, and continued in it until his retirement from business in 1882. Not content with being merely a buyer and seller, he soon began manufacturing his own goods. By his activity, industry, frugality and keen business insight, he built up a large business, and was in this, as in all his other business ventures, very successful. During the years 1860 to 1870, he also conducted a wholesale hat business, and for a time was largely interested in a line of barges sailing between Albany and New York City. While in all these enterprises he had at times partners, chiefly relatives, he was the leading man in them. In 1879 circumstances gave him control of one of the gas companies of Albany, and in 1880 he became the president and chief administrative officer of the People's Gas Company of Albany. In 1864 he, with several other prominent men, organized the Merchants' National Bank of Albany, and was on its first board of directors, continuing in that capacity until 1895, when he retired following thirty years of service. He was a pronouncedly religious man, and particularly active in the support of the Pearl Street (now Emmanuel) Baptist Church of Albany, in which he and his wife, his father and most of his sisters were baptized in 1840. In the latter years of his life he was considered the leading man in that church. He generously supported the institutions of his denomination, particularly those connected with its ministry, it being said that at one time he was supporting, in whole or in part eight students for the ministry. He was one of the incorporators of the Hudson River Baptist Association North. From 1884 until his death in 1896 he was vice-president of the New York Baptist Union for ministerial education, and from 1885 to 1896 was trustee of Colgate University, and from before 1870 to 1896 a trustee of Emmanuel Baptist Church.

George Alonzo Woolverton married, at Glen, New York, July 11, 1838, Caroline Shuler (see Shuler II). She was born at Florida, Montgomery county, New York, July 20, 1814, died at Albany, New York, July 31, 1894, daughter of John and Hannah (Buck) Shuler. A sketch of his life would be very incomplete without a reference to that of his wife, who was in truth a helpmeet. Of her, her husband truly said, "She was the most perfect model of a Christian I ever met. With her every human being on earth was a brother or sister, and it was her sweetest joy to minister to the wants of all." She was a leader in many of the charitable and religious institutions of Albany, and encouraged her husband in his many gifts, while her personal benefactions were without number. She was one of the three founders in Albany of the Women's Baptist Missionary Society, and president of the Emmanuel Baptist Church branch of it until her death. For very many years she was a manager of the Albany Guardian Society, and of the Boys' Lodging House of Albany. Children, born at Albany:

  1. Adda Maud Shuler, born May 29, 1840, married, at Albany, New York, May 6, 1863, George Lavater Stedman, (see Stedman VIII); died at Loudonville, New York, September 28, 1909.
  2. Eugene, September 23, 1842, died there, September 3, 1843.
  3. Caroline Shuler, June 6, 1844; married, at Albany, January 20, 1870, Grange Sard, born at Albany, March 10, 1843, son of Grange and Lucy (Cook) Sard.
  4. Marion, July 31, 1846, died there, May 10, 1851. 5. Georgianna, August 3, 1849, died there, March 16, 1860.

(The Shuler Line)

The family name of Shuler is probably but a simple alteration of the German word, "Schuler," a scholar, brought about by phonetic influence, which is undoubtedly the case, for the family in this country came originally from that country. It is closely allied to both Schuyler and Schuiler through pronunciation, and if it could be proved that it was a different form of the Dutch name Schuiler, it would signify a hider, because Van Schuyler means "from the place of shelter."

(I) Lawrence Shuler, or as he usually signed himself, "Lorentz Schuler," came from Wurtemburg, or Luxemburg, Germany, to America, in 1752, and settled in New York. He was born March 12, 1735, died at Florida, Montgomery county, New York, February 14, 1813. There emigrated with him his father, who died soon after their arrival in New York; his sister Mary, who died at sea; his sister Catherine, born in 1724; his brother George, born in 1726, and his brother Frederick. They first moved to Catskill, about 1762, where Catherine married Albert Houseman. George died unmarried. The entire family removed to Montgomery county, New York, where Catherine married, (second) Peter Frederick.

Lawrence Shuler learned the weaving and reed-working business, it is said in Catskill, although his principal occupation in later years was farming. Subsequently he removed to Florida, New York, where he purchased what finally amounted to about a mile square of land, beginning in 1768. He was naturalized by act of the New York legislature, December 19, 1776. He was a lieutenant in Colonel Fisher's regiment (being the Third Regiment of Tryon county militia of New York state), and as such participated in the battle of Oriskany. He was the first overseer of the poor for the town of Florida, when erected. He married at Catskill, New York, in 1762, Sarah (widow of one Overbaugh), born July 11, 1722, died at Florida, New York, in 1775, daughter of Benjamin and Catherintje (Zuyland) Du Bois, of New Paltz, New York. Children:

  1. Anna, born November 10, 1763; married David Cady.
  2. Jacob, November 3, 1765, married Betsy Hazzard.
  3. Solomon, March 3, 1768; married Lydia Wood.
  4. John, November 12, 1769, see forward. Lawrence Shuler married (second), 1785, Magdalina Serviss. Children: not listed in book.
  5. Peter, born December 11, 1788, died unmarried.
  6. Katrina, born March 11, 1790; married (first) Jabes Kingsbury; married (second) Peter Covenhoven.
  7. William, born December 30, 1792; married Kate Johnson Dunn; died without issue.
  8. Mary, born March 22, 1794; married Jacob Serviss.
  9. Jeremiah, born January 3, 1796, died unmarried, 1815.
  10. Levi, born November 3, 1799; married Katy Henry.
  11. Van Vlack, born November 3, 1799; married Harriet Hartwell.
  12. Betsy, born November 1, 1802; married Davis Smith.
  13. Sally, born March 10, 1804; married Cornelius Vander Veer.
  14. Abraham, born December 21, 1805.
  15. Lawrence, born December 19, 1807; married Fanny Guile.
  16. David, born October 11, 1809, died in infancy.

(II) John, son of Lawrence and Sarah (Du Bois) Shuler, was born at Florida, Montgomery county, New York, November 12, 1769, died at Gosport, Niagara county, New York, August 9, 1859. He seems to have been a man of some prominence in Montgomery county. He was a member of the New York state assembly in 1815, and was an ensign in the New York State Light Infantry in 1798; lieutenant in the same, 1799, and was appointed captain of the same in 1805. He was one of the committee at the opening of the Erie canal. He married, at Charleston, New York, February 25, 1790, Hannah Buck, born at Canaan, New York, December 24, 1769; died January 23, 1852, at Canajoharie, New York, daughter of Daniel Buck, D.D., and M.D. (second major of the Seventeenth regiment of the New York state militia during the revolution) and of Anna (Denton) Buck. Children:

  1. Sally, born March 17, 1791, died at Elgin, Illinois, April 2, 1876; married, August 26, 1813, Elijah Wilcox (see Wilcox VI).
  2. Anna, born January 11, 1793, died at Broomfield, New York, March 17, 1821; married, August 17, 1813, Lewis Griffin.
  3. Lydia, born January 28, 1796, died at Elgin, Illinois, June 29, 1878; married, December 31, 1818, William Carlisle.
  4. Remson, born January 26, 1798, died September 15, 1880; married, March 9, 1823, Hannah Haughton.
  5. David Cady, born January 27, 1800, died January 7, 1891; married (first) March 29, 1821, Pamelia Butler; married (second) Elizabeth Lodewick.
  6. Daniel Buck, born February 27, 1803, died at Minaville, Montgomery county, New York, February 9, 1882; married, September 17, 1826, Catherine Vander Veer.
  7. Jacob, born February 8, 1805, died at McGrawville, New York, April 9, 1858; married (first) May 7, 1826, Catherine Mattice; married (second) January 3, 1837, Cornelia Cass.
  8. Cholett, born May 20, 1807, died February 11, 1893, at Amsterdam, New York; married, October 17, 1831, Ann Mallory.
  9. Adaline M., born August 13, 1811, died at Gasport, New York, September 10, 1892; married, October 2, 1833, Oliver Lathrop Wilcox (see Wilcox VI).
  10. Caroline, born July 20, 1814, died at Albany, New York, July 31, 1894; married, July 11, 1838, George Alonzo Woolverton, (see Woolverton VI).

(The Wilcox Line)

The family name of Wilcox is derived from two words, the name "Will" and the word "cock," signifying "little," hence it is equivalent to "Little Will," or William's son, which has resulted in Williamson. While the derivation may lead to the same source or meaning, it cannot be said that the families of the two names are allied, as in innumerable instances where names of pronounced variation in their spelling are traceable to the one original family stock.

William Wilcox, or as the family name was written at that time, Wilcoxson, and his wife, Margaret, came with their son John to America (according to Hotten's list of immigration) in April, 1635, aboard the ship, "Planter," bearing a certificate from the minister of St. Albans, in Hertfordshire, England, although the family is said to be originally of Welch [Welsh?] extraction. In the certificate their ages are given as follows: William Wilcoxson (linen weaver) aged 34; Margaret Wilcoxson, aged 24; Jno., aged 2.

(I) William Wilcoxson, upon arrival in America, settled in Concord, Massachusetts. He was registered as a freeman in Massachusetts in 1636, and moved to Stratford, Connecticut, probably in 1639, possibly after a residence at Windsor, Connecticut. By his will, dated 1651, he gave forty pounds to the church at Concord, and he therefore appears to have been a man of some substance. After William's death, his wife, Margaret, married William Hayden, of Windsor, Connecticut, and died in 1655. Children:

  1. John, born about 1633;
  2. Timothy;
  3. Joseph, 1638;
  4. Samuel, 1640, see forward;
  5. Obadiah, 1642, married Phoebe ————;
  6. Elizabeth, 1644, married Henry Stiles, of Windsor, Connecticut;
  7. Hannah, 1646, married Daniel Hayden, of Windsor, Connecticut;
  8. Sarah, 1648, married John Meigs, Jr., of Guildford, Connecticut;
  9. Phoebe, 1650, married John Birdseye, Jr.

(II) Samuel, son of William and Margaret Wilcoxson, was born in 1640, probably at Stratford, Connecticut. He went from there or Windsor, Connecticut, to what is now known as Simsbury, Connecticut, forming with others who came from the same place the settlement to which was given the name of Massacoe. In 1672, at the court of election of Hartford, Connecticut, Samuel Wilcox was propounded as a freeman. It is likely that at about this time he married Hannah, and settled down to active life at Massacoe, and his name appears in a patent of land given about that time. In 1669 he was deputy for Simsbury, also in 1689, and from 1684 to 1712 he served almost continuously excepting between 1702 and 1709. The first book of records of Simsbury and subsequent books show that there were some sixteen grants of land made to him. He was chosen selectman in 1677. On May 7, 1682, he, with others, petitioned the court to order a church. In October, 1688, he was appointed on a committee to make a list of Simsbury estates. In the catalogue of church members, from 1697 to 1710, both he and his oldest son are named as members. To Samuel Wilcoxson and Hannah, his wife, were born the following children, probably all at or near Simsbury, Connecticut:

  1. Samuel, born April 15, 1666, see forward;
  2. William, married Elizabeth Wilson;
  3. Joseph, married Abigail Thrall.

(III) Samuel (2), son of Samuel (1) and Hannah Wilcox, was born April 15, 1666, probably near Simsbury, Connecticut, died September 13, 1713. On October 30, 1713, his estate was inventoried at over three hundred and twenty-six pounds, being nearly one-tenth of the taxable property of the town. He lived near his father in Simsbury, and was one of its most wealthy and influential citizens. He married, in 1691, at Simsbury, Connecticut, Mindwell, born February 11, 1662, daughter of John and Anna (Bancroft) Griffin. Children, probably born at Simsbury:

  1. Hannah, born November 1, 1692, married William Chick;
  2. Samuel, April 20, 1695, married Mary ————;
  3. John, April 10, 1698;
  4. Joseph, July 3, 1701, married Elizabeth Holcomb;
  5. Mindwell;
  6. Ephraim, see forward.

(IV) Ephraim, son of Samuel (2) and Mindwell (Griffin) Wilcox, was born February 24, 1707, at Simsbury, Connecticut, died in 1773. He married, April 5, 1726, Hannah Hill, of Simsbury, and their children were probably born there. Children:

  1. Ephraim, born May 24, 1727;
  2. Susanna, April 17, 1731; married Michael Jackson;
  3. Sylvanus, see forward.

(V) Sylvanus, son of Ephraim and Hannah (Hill) Wilcox, was born at Simsbury, Connecticut, November 14, 1733, died July 5, 1821, at Alford, Massachusetts. He married at Simsbury, in 1759, Chestina Curtis, born January 12, 1742, fourth daughter of Peter and Chestina (Parker) Curtis, of Wallingford, Connecticut, later of Simsbury, Connecticut. He took his wife to the settlement known as Nine Partners, Dutchess county, New York, and subsequently remnoved to Alford, Massachusetts. In the latter place he was elected selectman in 1775-82-90-91. During the revolution he served on the committees of correspondence, safety, and inspection, also on the committee to procure troops for the continental army in 1776. He was a captain in the Alford Company of Massachusetts militia, and in 1777, with his company, marched with the regiment of Colonel John Ashly to Saratoga, where they participated in the capture of Burgoyne. As a partial recompense for his services in the field the town, March 19, 1798, voted to abate his taxes. In 1796 he sold his Alford farm and removed to Greenland grant, where he purchased a farm on which he resided until his death. His grave is on the old farm in Alford, and upon his gravestone is inscribed: "Capt. Sylvanus Wilcox, died July 5, 1821, aged 87 years." Children of Sylvanus and Chestina (Curtis) Wilcox were born at Nine Partners, New York, and Alford, Massachusetts. Children:

  1. Asenath, born at Nine Partners, New York, April 7, 1760; married, Benjamin Tobey.
  2. Sylvanus, May 26, 1762, see forward.
  3. Rufus, January 7, 1764, married Sarah Adams.
  4. Ephraim, November 30, 1765; died at Alford, Massachusetts, 1786.
  5. Reuben, December 29, 1767; married (first) Sophia Sprague; married (second) Theda Merrill; died in 1849.
  6. Ralph, December 2, 1769; married Minta Sprague.
  7. Oliver, February 10, 1772, married Betsy Sprague.
  8. Christine, July 30, 1774; married William Spoor.
  9. Israel, June 15, 1776; married Anna Fowler.
  10. Lavinia, March 6, 1778; married Samuel Barstowe.
  11. Chestina, October 3, 1780.
  12. Pluma, February 9, 1783; married Levi Freeman.
  13. Charles, May 20, 1785, died in infancy.

(VI) Sylvanus (2), son of Sylvanus (1) and Chestina (Curtis) Wilcox, was born at Nine Partners, Dutchess county, New York, May 26, 1762, died at Fultonville, New York, July 10, 1846. When but fourteen years of age, he entered the continental army, 1776. He was under General Ward at New Haven, Connecticut, and served six months in that portion of the army immediately under the direction of General Washington. Subsequently he enlisted from New state and served as corporal in Captain Van Rensselaer's company of Colonel Marinus Willett's regiment of the New York state militia. He was at Canada Creek when the notorious Butler was killed, and was granted a pension in 1831. It is said that he was present as one of the guard at the execution of Major André. The New York records show a steady line of promotion. He was made captain of the state troops, April 5, 1798; second major of the Twenty-sixth regiment, November 9, 1800; major, February 9, 1810; lieutenant-colonel, June 12, 1812, and subsequently colonel and brigadier-general. After his marriage, in 1787, he took his wife and one child to the west hank of the Schoharie creek in the southeast corner of what is now the town of Glen, Montgomery county, New York, where he erected a log cabin and shortly thereafter built a substantial house which is still (1910) standing. He occupied a large tract of land, probably under a lease for three lives, or ninety-nine years, and subsequently purchased from George Clark the land on which his house and buildings stand. He was a large land owner in Montgomery county, and a man at one time of considerable wealth, in fact, was always of prominence in the community where he lived. Later in life he became interested in a dry dock in Fultonville, New York, and in 1837 purchased a house in that village, where he resided until his death. He and his first wife are buried in the private burial ground on his old farm in Glen, and upon his gravestone is inscribed: "Gen. Sylvanus Wilcox, a soldier of the Revolution."

Sylvanus Wilcox married, April 28, 1785, Sarah Johnson, born March 17, 1765, died July 1, 1830, daughter of Robert and Susanna (Barnes) Johnson, of West Stockbridge, Massachusetts. He married (second), October 19, 1831, Sally Hamilton, but had no children by her. All of his children, excepting the first, were born at Glen, Montgomery county, New York. Children:

  1. Amelia, born August 15, 1786, died, unmarried, January 24, 1850.
  2. Chestina, April 17, 1788.
  3. Asenath, March 17, 1790, died at Albany, New York, July 31, 1857; married, at Glen, New York, June 5, 1811, Edward Woolverton, born at Amwell, New Jersey, January 11, 1787, died at Pittsfield, Massachusetts, September 4, 1874, (see Woolverton V).
  4. Elijah, May 10, 1792; married Sally Shuler, August 26, 1813; died at Elgin, Illinois, April 2, 1876 (see Schuler II).
  5. Elisha, May 10, 1792; married Nancy Ellis.
  6. Charles, February 25, 1795; married Julia Ann Merrill.
  7. Calvin P., October 4, 1796; married Harriet Hubbard.
  8. Eliza, June 3, 1800; married Moses Merrill; died November 12, 1882.
  9. Oliver Lathrop, June 26, 1809, died March 7, 1880; married, October 2, 1833, Adaline M. Shuler, born August 13, 1811, died at Gasport, Niagara county, New York, September 10, 1892, daughter of John and Hannah (Buck) Shuler (see Shuler II).

(The McKissick Line)

In 1768 Zebulon and John McKissick, brothers, came to America from Scotland, settling in Maine, where Zebulon located himself in Limerick and John in Cornish. They married sisters named Bettis. Children of Zebulon McKissick: Zebadiah, Moses, born in Limerick, Maine, November 4, 1781, see forward; Aaron, Molly, Eunice.

(II) Moses, son of Zebulon McKissick, was born November 4, 1781, died July 31, 1823.In February, 1817, with Herod Otis, of Boston, and two others, he founded the town of Jordan, Onondaga county, New York, clearing the land and laying out the place. The McKissick family were known as Free-will Baptists, pious and godly people. When Moses McKissick died, his bier was carried on the shoulders of his friends, in relays, to the burial ground in Jordan, so very greatly was he esteemed there. He married Abigail, daughter of Samuel Stuart, of Scarborough, Maine, and she died at Jordan, New York, in 1837. Children:

  1. Stuart, born November 27, 1807, see forward.
  2. Aaron, married Elzina ————; died at Auburn, New York.
  3. Moses, married Clara Stevens.
  4. James M., married (first) Susan Carson; (second) Marion White.
  5. Orrin.
  6. Nancy, married Arza Blakeslee.
  7. Abigail, married (first) ———— DeFreest, and (second) ———— Smith; died in 1875.
  8. Caroline.

(III) Stuart, son of Moses and Abigail (Stuart) McKissick, was born at Saco, Maine, November 27, 1807, died at Albany, New York, August 29, 1882. When a lad he went with his parents to Jordan, New York, and there remained until about 1833, when he engaged in the running of a boat for a transportation line. In 1838 he came to Albany, and there established a transportation and produce commission business, in one or the other or both of which he was engaged until in 1873, when he retired from active work, by reason of his failing health. He was one of the members of the board appointed by the legislature to establish a free school in the city of Albany, and zealously advocated the building of the present high school in that city. He was president of the board of trade of Albany, New York, in 1849, and a member of the canal convention in 1868. He was a delegate to the national convention of the boards of trade in 1863, and he served on many important committees of the local board. He was a director of the National Exchange Bank of Albany; a trustee of the Albany Exchange Savings Bank, and a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Albany. He married (first) September, 1835, Julia Ann Norton, of Suffield, Connecticut; she died August 22, 1843, aged thirty-one years. Children:

  1. Emily Espiranza, born at Jordan, New York, 1836; married, at Albany, 1858, Charles S. Cutler, of Albany.
  2. Caroline Aldaretta, Jordan, New York, 1838; married, 1863, Hogan Gibbons at West Troy, New York, died January 12, 1875.
  3. Stuart Eugene, Albany, 1839; died there December 13, 1842.
  4. Frederick, Albany, April 26, 1842, died there April 30, 1842. He married (second), September 10, 1844, Eliza McIntyre, of Northampton, Massachusetts, daughter of Jesse and Margaret (Pomeroy) McIntyre, by whom he had five children, all born at Albany, New York. Children: not listed in book.
  5. Mary, born December 17, 1847, died March 24, 1864.
  6. Julia Norton, January 11, 1849; married, January 25, 1884, Charles W. Shepard, of Albany, New York.
  7. Abby Stuart, May 18, 1851, see forward.
  8. Edward Pomeroy, June 22, 1854; married four times, viz. Florence Paul, at Rockport, Massachusetts; Natalie Coffin, at Boston, Massachusetts; Carrie Packard, at Boston; and Rose Rockwell, at Belgrade, Maine.
  9. Jessie, August, 1857, died at Albany, June 17, 1860.

(IV) Abby Stuart, daughter of Stuart and Eliza (McIntyre) McKissick, was born at Albany, New York, May 18, 1851. She married at Albany, January 22, 1873, Walter McEwan, of Albany, born at Glasgow, Scotland, June 1, 1843, died at Loudonville, Albany county, New York, May 10, 1908, son of John McEwan, born in Sterling, Scotland, and Agnes Gordon (Lauder) McEwan, born in Glasgow, Scotland, both of whom died in Albany, New York. Walter McEwan came to Albany with his parents in 1849. He attended the public schools of that city, and on the completion of that course, when about seventeen years of age, entered the employ of the Hudson River Railroad Company. After ten years of service for them, he purchased an interest in the wholesale coffee and spice business, which for two years was conducted under the name of Bailey, Lord & McEwan. At the end of that period, and on March 15, 1872, he purchased his partners' interests and conducted the enterprise in his own name until March 15, 1905, when it was incorporated. He was a man much respected in the business and religious circles of Albany. He was president of the Walter McEwan Company, trustee and secretary of the Home Savings Bank, trustee and vice-president of B. Payn's Sons Tobacco Company, treasurer of the St. Andrews Society, and a member of several Masonic bodies. For many years he was an elder of the Third Presbyterian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Walter McEwan, on their marriage, started housekeeping in Albany, but in 1885 removed to Loudonville, a suburb, where they continued to reside until his death. Children, born in Albany, New York:

  1. Walter Stuart, born December 20, 1873; married, September 24, 1902, Mary C. Blakeslee, of Menands, New York.
  2. Agnes Louder, January 28, 1876; married, September 20, 1899, Charles Sumner Stedman, of Albany, New York (see Stedman IX).
  3. Jessie Ellis, June 16, 1878; married, October 7, 1903, Henry Hunt Romer, of Brooklyn, New York.
  4. George William, June 11, 1882; married, April 21, 1908, Gertrude Marsh Peck, of Albany.
  5. Charles Bailey, June 1, 1884.

Go to top of page | previous family: Pitkin | next family: Fuller

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Stedman

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/stedman.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library