This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Stanton

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Stanton

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Edwards | next family: Mussey

[This information is from Vol. II, pp. 743-745 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

The Stanton family of Cohoes, New York, of which Edward J. Stanton is representative, descend from an Irish ancestor, William Stanton, steward of the Irish estate of Lord Tennyson, situated in Kadew, county Roscommon. William Stanton married and had issue.

(II) Thomas, son of William Stanton, was born in county Roscommon, Ireland. He grew to manhood in his native county where he joined one of the patriotic Irish societies which came under the ban of the English government. Thomas fled to France and from thence came to the United States in 1832 while still a young man and settled in Troy, New York. He died in Cohoes, New York, in 1876. He married in Troy, New York, Winifred Flynn. They were members of St. Bernard's Catholic church. They were the parents of seven children.

(III) William, son of Thomas and Winifred (Flynn) Stanton, born in Brunswick, Rensselaer county, New York, February 8, 1838, died at Cohoes, New York, September 28, 1905. He was educated in the public schools of the town, and on arriving at suitable age, learned the mason's trade, including then that of the bricklayer and plasterer. When he was eighteen years of age he located in Cohoes, completed his trade and worked for several years as a journeyman. He later formed a partnership with Cornelius Houlihan, and as Stanton & Houlihan engaged in extensive building operations. They built the original Harmony Mill No. 3 and it was while excavating for the foundations of this building that the fossil remains of a mastodon were uncovered. These were carefully preserved by Mr. Stanton, and are now exhibited at the State Museum of Natural History at Albany. Dissolving the connection with Mr. Houlihan after a few years, he formed a partnership with John B. Doyle in 1880, and as Stanton & Doyle, built the reservoir known as No. 2. In 1881 the firm dissolved and was succeeded by Stanton & Neary, the new firm being William Stanton and James Neary, who continued until 1898. The firm constructed a number of fine churches and schools, including St. Agnes' Roman Catholic church; St. John's Episcopal church; St. James' Methodist church; the addition to the Remsen Street Methodist Episcopal church, North Side high school No. 2, and a great number of the large mills and factories of Cohoes and vicinity. They also secured and completed many street paving contracts for the city and paved the first street in the city to be so improved, Willow street. In 1898 Stanton & Neary dissolved, Mr. Stanton continuing his contracting business alone. He was a noted builder and his contracts with individuals or city were faithfully executed. He was largely interested in the banks of Cohoes and in other business enterprises. For a number of years he was a partner of Hugh Graham, forming the well-known grocery firm of Stanton & Graham, later disposing of his interest to Hugh Conway. When the Manufacturers' Bank was organized in 1873 he was chosen second vice-president, and soon after became first vice-president. At the time of his death he was president of the Mechanics' Savings Bank, and of the Firemen's Exempt Association, a right which he gained by years of free duty as a member of Alden Hose Company. He gave much time to public service of his city. When Cohoes was a village, in 1868, he was elected trustee, served for two years, and was re-elected on the expiration of his term. He also served as a deputy sheriff. He was a strong supporter of the Democratic party and was one of its leaders. He represented the first ward in the board of aldermen for two years; was president of the board of education four years and served with zeal and pronounced ability in these important positions. He was an active member of St. Bernard's Roman Catholic church for many years but later joined with St. Agnes' church when that parish was formed. He was the first president of the Young Men's Library Association connected with St. Bernard's church. He was well known to all classes and the great attendance at his funeral was a sincere testimonial to his popularity and to the high esteem in which he was held. It is said to have been the largest funeral ever held in Cohoes. He married Ellen Ward, born February 26, 1842, at Hudson, New York, who survives him, a resident of Cohoes. Children:

  1. Thomas, born May 6, 1864, died July 29, 1876.
  2. Mary E., married Frank Ablett, of the firm of Ablett & Bowes, contractors of Cohoes; children: Helen B., Serena M., Francis D., and William Stanton Ablett.
  3. William A., born January 10, 1869.
  4. Margaret I., born February 5, 1874.
  5. John W., graduate of St. Bernard's Academy and Albany Law School, a practicing attorney of Cohoes.
  6. Edward Joseph, see forward.
  7. Genevieve F.

(IV) Edward Joseph, son of William and Ellen (Ward) Stanton, was born in Cohoes, New York, May 13, 1879. He was educated at St. Bernard's Academy, Cohoes, and La Salle Institute, Troy. Deciding to become an undertaker and funeral director, he pursued a full course in Renouard's School of Embalming in New York City, graduating in 1905. For four years he worked in New York, with J. McLarney & Son, and with John Irving, prominent funeral directors and embalmers of New York, and was also employed by a New York and Brooklyn wholesale casket house. In 1909 he returned to Cohoes and established himself at No. 15 Willow street as a funeral director. He is a master of his business and is laying the foundation for a successful career. He is well known in the city and exceedingly popular. He is an active member of St. Agnes' Roman Catholic church, the Knights of Columbus, and the Cohoes Field Club. He is unmarried.

Go to top of page | previous family: Edwards | next family: Mussey

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Stanton

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/stanton-2.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library