This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Progenitors: J

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Historical Appendix: Progenitors J

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous: Progenitors: H | next: Progenitors: K

Progenitors: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | V | W | Y

[This information is from Vol. IV, pp. xxiii-xxv of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

Jacobsen

Aert, occupied a farm at Bethlehem, Albany co., as early as 1648; then leased one in Greenbush, opposite Albany, north of that of Cornelis Hendricksen Van Nes; removed to Esopus, about 1661. Caspar Jacobsen obtained lease of house-lot at Rensselaerswyck in 1651. Cornelis Jacobsen came from Martensdyck, near Utrecht, engaged as farm laborer for Rutger Hendricksen, on Rensselaers Burg. Frans Jacobsen testified at Rensselaerswyck in 1649 to being 17 years old, and may have been De Bruyn. Jan Jacobsen sailed from the Texel on "d'Eendracht" ("The Unity"), May, 1634, and was farm hand under Brant Peelen on Castle Island. Nijs Jacobsen sailed from the Texel on "den Waterhondt," June, 1640; began service at Rensselaerswyck, Sept. 4, 1640. Rutger Jacobsen came from Schoonrewoerd (commonly written in records "Schoonderwoert," from which the name in Albany, "Van Woert") South Holland, arriving on the "Arms of Rensselaerswyck," at New Amsterdam, March 4, 1637; began service in Rensselaerswyck, Apr. 8, 1637, on farm of Cornelis Teunis; engaged as foreman on the Great Flat, Feb. 9, 1643; lessee of farm on the 5th Creek from Jan. 1, 1645, and rented sawmill thereon in 1654; owned a yacht about 1648; authorized to brew beer in 1650. Teunis Jacobsen came from Hamersvelt, Utrecht, when 20 years old, contracting with Jeremias Van Rensselaer, at Amsterdam, June 14, 1656, to sail on "the Otter," to do farm work at Rensselaerswyck.

Jansen

This name is equivalent to Johnson, or "son of John." It appears written "Ian" with any sort of a fanciful pen scroll following the last letter, in order to indicate "Jan, son of Jan," and simply another form of Johannes, or contraction of it. It is therefore possible to write out this scroll, indicative of possession, as Jans, Janse, or Jansen. It may be more clearly understood by remembering that the English, in olden times, wrote "John his book," which became after a while the custom to write "John's book." Doubtless many have desired to know in what form to write the name which has often appeared as "Anneke Jansen," so as to follow her own form; but one could simply write "Ian" or "Jan," and follow it with a flourish. The following names appear variously as Jans, Janse and Jansen on the old records; but it would be correct to treat them all as "Jansen." In any event, it would merely depend on which particular signature is selected, for the same man wrote it differently at various times. Adriaen Jansen was schoolmaster, appears recorded at Beverwyck, Nov. 23, 1651; still so employed in 1657, and possibly was same as Adriaen Jansen Croon. Adriaen Jansen came from Leyden, alias "Appel"; was in Rensselaerswyck as early as 1649; bought house and brewery, Feb. 19, 1655; tavernkeeper in 1656. Albert Jansen came from Amsterdam, arriving on "den Houttuyn," at New Amsterdam, Aug. 4, 1642; carpenter; recorded at Rensselaerswyck that year as building a house for Dominie Megapolensis. Antony Jansen was court-messenger of Beverwyck in 1662; innkeeper at Beverwyck, 1662-68. Arent Jansen was a master carpenter, in employ of Dutch West India Co. at Fort Orange in 1641, and bought southeast corner Broadway and Maiden Lane, in 1667. Barent Jansen came on "d'Eendracht" ("The Unity"), in 1630, on the sailing list as from Desens, in another place as from Esen, to be farmer for Brant Peelen. Broer Jansen had a child, Heyltje, baptised at Beverwyck, Apr. 19, 1685. Claes Jansen came from Waelwyck, North Brabant, arriving on "den Houttuyn," at New Amsterdam, Aug. 4, 1642, and was in Rensselaerswyck until 1649. Claes Jansen came from Breda, North Brabant, arriving on "den Houttuyn," at New Amsterdam, Aug. 4, 1642; recorded then as a boy in service of Adriaen Van der Donck at Rensselaerswyck. Claes Jansen came from Nykerck, Gelderland, sailing from Texel, Holland, December, 1637, then aged 17; a tailor, at Rensselaerswyck. Claes Jansen came from Bockhoven, North Brabant, also mentioned as Claes de Braebander; appeared at the Rensselaerswyck court in 1651. Cornelis Jansen was first recorded in Rensselaerswyck, Sept. 9, 1648. Dirck Jansen came from Edam, North Holland, on the "Arms of Rensselaerswyck," arriving at New Amsterdam, March 4, 1637, and was charged on accounts at Rensselaerswyck, May 9, 1637; chosen member of the council of the colony the same year; was deceased May 29, 1643. Evert Jansen, tailor, was at New Amsterdam as early as February, 1643; granted permission to reside at Rensselaerswyck, Oct. 13, 1648, provided he build house and obtained a lot, Nov. 7, 1651. Gerrit Jansen married Maritje Louys (or Lewis), and had daughter, Antje, baptised at Albany, Feb. 12, 1693. Jacob Jansen came from Amsterdam on the "Arms of Rensselaerswyck," arriving at New Amsterdam, March 4, 1637; carpenter; charged on accounts at Rensselaerswyck, Apr. 2, 1637; employed by Arent Van Curler in 1641, to do copying. Jacob Jansen came from Nordstrand, island off Schleswig, arriving on "den Houttuyn," at New Amsterdam, Aug. 4, 1642, and was employed at Rensselaerswyck that year, by Cornelis Hendrickse Van Nes. Jacob Jansen came from Stoutenburch, Utrecht; recorded in Rensselaerswyck as farmer on de Vlackte, June 18, 1648. Jacobus (same as James) Jansen was living in Greenbush, opposite Albany, in 1663. Laurens Jansen lived, with his wife, Styntje Pieterse, on a farm on the 5th creek at Rensselaerswyck, January, 1650. Marten Jansen married Jannetje Mingael and had a daughter, Maritje, born at Beverwyck, Dec. 27, 1685. Marten Jansen married Jannetje Cornelise and had a daughter, Maritje, baptised at Beverwyck, Feb. 1, 1685. Michiel Jansen came from Schrabbekercke, Zealand, sailing from the Texel, Holland, arriving at New Amsterdam, Aug. 4, 1638; foreman of farmers at Rensselaerswyck in that year. Paulus Jansen came from Geertruydenbergh, North Brabant, arriving on "den Houttuyn," at New Amsterdam, Aug. 4, 1642; wages began as "young man," at Rensselaerswyck, Aug. 13, 1642. Paulus Jansen came from Hoorn, North Holland, also known as Pieter Jansen de Boer and Pieter de Boer, or farmer; first recorded at Rensselaerswyck, Dec. 17, 1648. Paulus Jansen came from Corinchen, South Holland; testified at Rensselaerswyck, Jan. 20, 1651, as to witnessing event there in 1649. Remmer Jansen came from Jever, Oldenburg, a smith, at New Amsterdam in 1638; on Long Island in 1643; leased garden at Rensselaerswyck, May, 1650. Roelof Jansen came on ship "d'Eendracht" ("The Unity"), arriving at New Amsterdam, May 24, 1630, from Masterland (Marstrand, on coast of Sweden) in company with his wife, Annetje Jans, also with his daughters, Sara and Trijntje (or Tryntje) and another child; was a farmer on de Laets Burg, near Albany and was appointed "schepen," July 1, 1632. Steven Jansen was a master carpenter, coming from New Amsterdam to Rensselaerswyck, July, 1649. Tomas Jansen came from Bunnick, near Utrecht, on the "Arms of Rensselaerswyck," arriving at New Amsterdam, March 4, 1637; farm hand; began service at Rensselaerswyck, Apr. 8, 1637; occupied a farm there from May 1, 1646; rented farm on east side of the Hudson, from May 1, 1655.

Jochemse

Hendrick, was in Rensselaerswyck, 1654-69; lieutenant of the Burgher Company; had lot northeast corner Broadway and State St.

Jonasen

Jacob, recorded in Rensselaerswyck, June 12, 1643.

Go to top of page | previous: Progenitors: H | next: Progenitors: K

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Progenitors: J

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/progenitors_j.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library