This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » McCoy

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
McCoy

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Bresler | next family: Zeller

[This information is from Vol. II, pp. 895-896 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

Harmon McCoy, a farmer, died in Waterford, New York. He married Charity Leversee, who was born, lived and died in Waterford, a daughter of Colonel Leversee, of the English army, a descendant of the old English Leversee family of Yorkshire, England, where the ruins of an ancient castle of Leversee may yet be seen. They had Charity Catherine, William, Edward, Shubboleth and Henry.

(II) Shubboleth, son of Harmon and Charity (Leversee) McCoy, born in Waterford, New York, in 1812, died there June 2, 1890. He was educated in the public schools of the village. He was a clerk in Albany and associated in business with Ira Harris until 1837. In that year he became interested in a foundry and acquired an interest that he increased until he was the sole owner. He continued in business until 1888, when he retired. He had his home in Albany until 1860, when he removed to Waterford and continued in business until 1888. His principal line of manufacture was stoves, and in their making he employed many men and a very large plant. In 1849 he bought the patents covering the then celebrated "Buck" stove, which gave him control over the manufacture and sale in the entire United States, two states excepted. He was a man of great ability, and managed his large business with great success. He married Esther, born 1821, died July 2, 1857, daughter of James Gibbons, of Albany, and granddaughter of James Gibbons, born in England and mayor of Albany, New York. James Gibbons married Matilda Brown.

(II) Henry, son of Harmon and Charity (Leversee) McCoy, was born in Waterford, New York, 1821, died October 24, 1857. He was educated in the public schools and obtained his first business position in the Waterford post office, where he was clerk. For several years later in life he was superintendent of the Lake Champlain canal. He was always delicate and died of consumption, a comparatively young man. He was a Democrat in politics and a member of the Episcopal church. He married, October 9, 1849, Matilda E., daughter of Colonel George Strover, born in Saratoga county, New York, March 4, 1791, died October 5, 1886, at Schuylerville, New York. He was educated at the schools of Saratoga Springs, and became a well known civil engineer. He enlisted in the war of 1812, and rose to the rank of colonel. He was a personal friend of Stephen Van Rensselaer, and transacted a great deal of business for him and for the Van Rensselaer estate. The work by which he is best known is the Croton Acqueduct for supplying New York City with water, which he designed and engineered in part. He designed and laid out the system of canals and cross waterways that form the lumber district of Albany. This latter work was done for Stephen Rensselaer. Colonel Strover married Eliza Braizer, of Charleston, South Carolina, born 1794, died April 9, 1881. Colonel Strover bought, in 1831, the old Philip Schuyler homestead at Schuylerville, New York, that is still in possession of his heirs. The original Schuyler mansion was burned by the French during the French and Indian war, about 1720; was replaced and again burned by General Burgoyne. The present building stands on the same foundation and was built by soldier mechanics in the army of General Gates. The property now owned and occupied by Mrs. M. E. McCoy, and son, was deeded to Colonel Leversee by King James. It is situated on the Hudson about three quarters of a mile north of Waterford, and has been the property of the McCoys since deeded by King James. The present house was built in 1871; the original grant was four hundred acres. The only owners have been the Schuylers and Strovers, descending from Colonel Strover to his two daughters. Children of Henry and Matilda E. (Strover) McCoy:

  1. Edward, born September 7, 1852; resident and capitalist of Waterford.
  2. Esther Matilda, married (first) William F. Burden, who died in 1887, no living issue. Married (second) 1890, Dr. Alexander S. Clark, of Paris, France, who died May 26, 1909.

Go to top of page | previous family: Bresler | next family: Zeller

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » McCoy

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/mccoy.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library