This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Kellogg

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Kellogg

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Pine | next family: Tillinghast

[This information is from Vol. II, pp. 649-652 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

Essex county, England, is the earliest home of the Kelloggs so far as traced. The origin of the name and family is the cause of much controversy. It has been spelled in various and many ways, Keylogg — a locksmith, and Great Britain as the original home of the family seems the most probable. Braintree, in Essex, about forty miles northeast of London, was the earliest home of the Kelloggs whose line we trace. The parish register (1660) spells the name Kallogg, Kelhogg, Kellog, Celog, Callog, and Kellock. There being no universal orthography, each clerk spelled the name as he thought proper. Phillippe Kellogg, possibly a son of Thomas and grandson of Nicholas of Debden, is the first of the name in England from whom the Kelloggs of America can with certainty trace their descent. He first appears in Bocking Essex, a parish adjoining Braintree, September 15, 1583. His son Martin was baptized in Great Leighs, Essex county, England, November 23, 1595. He married Prudence Bird. Of their children, John, Nathaniel, Sarah and Martin lived and died in England. Joseph, American progenitor, Daniel and Samuel came to America. The first Kellogg whose name appears on New England records is Nathaniel, son of Phillippe of Great Leighs, Essex county, England. His name, "Natha Calaug," is the ninth name in a list of such "Inhabitants as were granted lotts to have onely at The Townes Countesie with liberty to fetch wood & keepe swine or cowes By proportion in the Common. 14 Jan 1639." Hartford, Connecticut. He was an uncle of Lieutenant Joseph, whom we name the immigrant ancestor of the line under consideration.

(I) Lieutenant Joseph Kellogg, son of Martin and Prudence (Bird) Kellogg, was baptized in Great Leighs, England, April 1, 1626, died in Hadley, Massachusetts, between June 27, 1707, the date of his will, and February 4, 1708, when it was proved. It is not known in what year he came to America. He was in Farmington, Connecticut, 1651, where he was an early settler and several times selectman. He and his wife were "joined" to the church, October 9, 1653. His home lot in Boston, Massachusetts, consisted of four acres; a part of it is now covered by the Advertiser building on Washington street, and is one of the most valuable parcels of land in Boston. He removed from Boston to Hadley and was one of the proprietors. In 1661 the town made an agreement with him to keep the ferry between Hadley and Northampton. The agreement is a very curious document, stipulating rates on dark nights, stormy weather, late hours, etc. This ferry was in the family nearly a century. He was selectman in Hadley 1665-74-77-78-79-85-92, school committee in 1686. The general court of Massachusetts appointed him, May 9, 1678, ensign in the Foot Company in Hadley, and October 7, same year, lieutenant in the same company. He served in that office until 1692, making his military service cover a period of twenty-nine years. Captain Aaron Cook, who was appointed captain when Joseph was appointed ensign, served thirty-five years, until 1713. This explains why Joseph got no higher rank than lieutenant. He was in command of the Hadley troops at the famous "Turners Falls" fight, which broke the power of the river tribes. When he settled in Hadley, in 1661, his estate was assessed at one hundred pounds; at the time of his death his personal estate alone was inventoried at four hundred pounds. He was the father of twenty children, fourteen of whom arrived at maturity. He seems to have been an energetic, strong, sturdy character, an affectionate, just husband and father. He distributed his estate fairly and there was no dissension. He married, in England, Joanna ————; she died in Hadley, Massachusetts, September 14, 1666. He married (second) Abigail Terry, born in Windsor, Connecticut, September 21, 1646, daughter of Stephen, born in Wiltshire, England. Her will was proved October 31, 1726. Abigail was before the court in 1673, charged as one who "wore silk contrary to law." She was acquitted. Children by first wife, Joanna, were: Elizabeth; Joseph, who was fined ten shillings for "having travelled till midnight in the night before the Sabbath"; Nathaniel; John, see forward; Martin, Edward, Samuel, Joanna and Sarah. By his second wife, born in Hadley: Stephen, Nathaniel, Abigail, Elizabeth, Prudence, Ebenezer, Jonathan, Daniel, Joseph (on his gravestone in Hadley he is called "A worthy gentleman"), Daniel and Ephraim.

(II) John, son of Lieutenant Joseph and Joanna Kellogg, was baptized in Farmington, Connecticut, December 29, 1656, died in Hadley, Massachusetts, between 1723 and 1728. He resided in Farmington and Hadley. He succeeded to the ferry in Hadley founded by his father. His name appears in a list of those owning the largest estates in Hadley in 1720. At one time he resided in the Hopkins School House in Hadley. He married (first), in Hadley, December 23, 1680, Sarah, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Deming) Moody. She died in Farmington, September 10, 1689. He married (second) Ruth ————. Children by first wife, all born in Hadley: Sarah, John, Joseph, see forward; Samuel, and an unnamed son. Children by second wife: Ruth, Joanna, Esther, Abigail, John and James.

(III) Joseph (2), son of John and Sarah (Moody) Kellogg, was born in Hadley, Massachusetts, November 6, 1685. He was a weaver and resided in South Hadley. In 1788, several years after his death, his son John was appointed administrator of this estate. He married, March 15, 1711, Abigail, born October 10, 1692, daughter of Ebenezer and Abigail (Broughton) Smith. Their children, all born in South Hadley, were: Abigail, Sarah, Ebenezer, see forward; Ruth, Martha, Esther, Joseph (3), John, Rachel, Jabez and Eunice.

(IV) Ebenezer, eldest son of Joseph (2) and Abigail (Smith) Kellogg, was born in South Hadley, Massachusetts, December 26, 1715. He resided in South Hadley. His name appears in the muster roll of Colonel Dwight's regiment on the western frontier, August 11 and 21, 1748. He married, December 15, 1748, Mrs. Sarah Snow, widow of Josiah, of Norwich, Connecticut, and South Hadley. Their children were: Amos, Lois, Sarah, Josiah, Ebenezer, Seth, see forward; Ruth, Sallie and Rufus.

(V) Seth, sixth child and third son of Ebenezer and Sarah (Snow) Kellogg, was born in South Hadley, Massachusetts, September 5, 1767, died in West Galway, New York, January 7, 1847. He removed to West Galway, New York, about 1792. He was a carpenter. He is said to have been about five feet eight inches in height, with dark hair, broad forehead, black eyes, nose slightly Roman. He married, May 3, 1787, Naomi Parsons, born August 21, 1768. After her husband's death she resided with her son Joseph in Springwater. One of Seth's sons, James Madison, was a noted lecturer in phrenology and for fifteen years travelled constantly, lecturing on that subject. The children, two of whom were born in South Hadley, the others in West Galway, New York, were: Nancy, Supplina, see forward, Russell, Naomi, Joseph, Silence, Benjamin Franklin, John and James Madison.

(VI) Supplina, eldest son of Seth and Naomi (Parsons) Kellogg, was born in South Hadley, Massachusetts, November 27, 1789, died in West Galway, February 8, 1845. Shortly after his birth it is probable his father removed to New York state, as his brother Russell, the next eldest child, was born in West Galway, January 16, 1794. He was a wool carder and cloth dresser. In 1824 he began the manufacture of linseed oil in West Galway, New York. He began modestly with a small hand mill, having a capacity of two barrels daily. He increased this output to six barrels. This was the foundation on which was to be built the present immense linseed oil and by-products business of his son, John Kellogg.

[Picture: First oil mill built and operated by Supplina Kellogg, in 1824, near West Galway, N. Y. Still standing (1910).]

Supplina Kellogg married, about 1812, Susan A., born in Kingston, Rhode Island, July 31, 1792, died in West Galway, New York, about 1870; daughter of Dr. John Aldrich, of Rhode Island, born in Hopkinton, April 1, 1769, of the famous family of that name. Dr. Aldrich was one of the pioneer physicians of Kingston. He was a soldier of the war of 1812, taken prisoner and sent to England, where he was confined for some time on a prison-ship. His wife was Elizabeth Thurston, who died in Kingston, Rhode Island, May 23, 1837. The children of Supplina and Susan A. (Aldrich) Kellogg, all born in West Galway, were:

  1. Emily, September 18, 1813, died at Medina, New York, January 30, 1836.
  2. Lauren, May 28, 1816, died aged six years.
  3. Lauren (2), January 21, 1824; married Elizabeth Miller; was for a few years associated with his brother John, in the oil manufacturing business, but his death in 1854 terminated the partnership.
  4. John, see forward.
  5. Harriet, October 13, 1828; married Bernard K. Lee.
  6. Jane, November 1, 1830; became the wife of John Furman Mann.

(VII) John (2), only surviving child of Supplina and Susan A. (Aldrich) Kellogg, was born December 17, 1826. He was educated in the common schools, and reared by his father to habits of industry and thrift. He worked in the oil mill with his father and became thoroughly familiar with the business as it was carried on by him. On the death of his father he was succeeded by his two sons, Lauren and John, who enlarged the plant and increased the business. In five years after the death of Supplina Kellogg, his son Lauren also died. His place in the firm was taken by James A. Miller, born in Glasgow, Scotland. (See Miller Family.) In 1872 George K., son of John, was admitted a partner, and in 1879 Lauren, another son, became interested in the business. The firm of Kellogg & Miller is one of the substantial commercial houses of Amsterdam; the manufacture of linseed oil and kindred products from flaxseed having grown to great proportions. The output of oil has grown from two barrels daily to two hundred, a mill is operated for the manufacture of tow, oil cake is made in immense quantities, and one and one-half miles of private track has been laid to facilitate the movement of the coming and going shipments. Nothing just happens; the cause for this prosperity of individual and community may be found in the sterling worth of the principal factor, John Kellogg. He has never been a man of one idea or one line of effort. Everything that has originated for public betterment during his business life in Amsterdam has had his active support. He aided in the establishment of Amsterdam Academy, and served as trustee. Served on the board of water commissioners, president of the Farmers' National Bank, director of the Chucanunda [Chuctanunda?] Gaslight Company, vice-president of the Greenhill Cemetery Association, an incorporator and treasurer of the Reservoir Company that has done so much for Amsterdam industries, director of the Board of Trade. This record, in addition to developing his own private business, is a wonderful one and not often duplicated. Mr. Kellogg has always been a Republican, and represented his town in the state legislature. He is broad and liberal in his views. A prominent trait in his character is that the liberty of thought and action he demands for himself he is always ready to concede to others.

On September 11, 1850, he married Olive, daughter of Benjamin Davis, of Galway, Saratoga county, New York. Mrs. Kellogg died April 14, 1909, in her eighty-fourth year, after nearly sixty years of happy married life. She was a worthy companion and comrade and fought life's battles shoulder to shoulder with her husband. Three children survive her, a daughter, Mrs. Howland Fish, of Fulton county, preceded her to the grave. The two sons, George and Lauren, are successors of the firm of Kellogg & Miller, and are in control of the large business of previous mention. Surviving children of John and Olive (Davis) Kellogg:

  1. Anna, wife of Samuel Stryker; resides in New York and New Jersey; hasa son, Samuel Stryker (2), born February 5, 1902.
  2. George, of previous mention; married, in Amsterdam, April 30, 1874, Susan, born November 5, 1852, daughter of Cyrus B. Chase, born April 9, 1817, died January 31, 1904, and Emily Davis, born February 22, 1823, and granddaughter of Welcome U. Chase and wife, Susan C. Cole. Emily Davis was daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Comstock) Davis, the latter a direct descendant of Colonel Willett, a distinguished officer of the revolution, and an efficient mayor of New York City. Children:
    1. John Kellogg, born September 1, 1875; connected with Kellogg & Miller.
    2. Elizabeth A., August 20, 1878; married Stanley H. Swift, of Amsterdam.
  3. Lauren (2), of previous mention; married, in Port Jervis, New York, November 17, 1880, Elizabeth, born in 1860, daughter of Henry H. Fish, born November 9, 1817, died September 16, 1878, and his wife, Elizabeth Ferguson, born February 28, 1827, died June 28, 1907. Children:
    1. John D. Kellogg, born April 12, 1886;
    2. Lauren (3), born November 11, 1900.

Go to top of page | previous family: Pine | next family: Tillinghast

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Kellogg

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/kellogg.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library