This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.


Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Hall

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Hall | next family: Washburn

[This information is from Vol. IV, pp. 1515-1517 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

This family name is of Saxon origin. The settlers in England from the region about the city of Halle, in Saxony, for sake of distinction before the use of surnames, were called de Halle, which became shortened to Halle, and finally to Hall. A large number of the name came to New England during the Puritan exodus from England prior to 1650. The name became common in Connecticut, and has been worthily borne. From among the many there recorded the family mentioned here seems to stand alone. The names and locations are different, and cannot belong to other branches. Among the first to settle in Connecticut were Josiah, Zadoc, Bashni and Libni Hall, supposedly brothers, who came from Wales and settled on what has become known as Hall Hill, at Somers. The line traces to the Troy (New York) family through Josiah, presumably the eldest brother, and who had sons, Joseph, Reuben, Alpheus and Josiah.

(II) Joseph, son of Josiah Hall, is buried at Somers, Connecticut. He married, and had sons Joseph Nelson and Horatio.

(III) Joseph Nelson, son of Joseph Hall, was born in Somers, Connecticut, August 15, 1809, died September 27, 1864, in Windsor. His boyhood days were spent in his native town; after his marriage he resided for a time in Simsbury, then removing to Windsor. He married, about 1835, Wealthy Ann Lord, of East Windsor, born August 12, 1812, died October 27, 1897. Children:

  1. Adelaide, born December 31, 1836, died April 23, 1907, married Henry C. Woodward;
  2. William Lord;
  3. Caroline, born 1842, died 1861.

(IV) William Lord, only son of Joseph Nelson and Wealthy Ann (Lord) Hall, was born in Simsbury, Connecticut, June 7, 1838. He was educated in the public schools. He began his business career as clerk in a mercantile house, and was so engaged until 1878, in which year he became associated with Miller & Bingham, manufacturers of shirts, collars and cuffs, at Troy. The firm was originally established in 1866, when Justus Miller, A. P. Hamlin and Joseph Wheelock began manufacturing collars and cuffs. The firm passed through various changes and in 1884 was reorganized by Justus Miller, William Lord Hall and Charles E. Hartwell, as Miller, Hall & Hartwell. In 1898 the firm personnel was again changed. Mr. Miller having died and Joseph McKay being admitted, the firm took the name of Hall, Hartwell & Company, William Lord Hall being the senior partner, and since that time the capable head of a vast business with which he became connected as an employee thirty-two years ago. For many years the firm have operated branches at Hoosick Falls, Mechanicsville, Albany, and several other places, furnishing employment to a great number of work people, and their business ranks with the most modern and progressive of twentieth century manufactories. Mr. Hall is also actively interested in other business concerns of importance. He is vice-president and director of the City National Bank of Troy, and in various ways shows his interest in the development of his city. He is a communicant and vestryman of St. John's Episcopal Church, a member of the Troy Club, and in politics is a Republican. William L. Hall married, June 9, 1886, Lucia H., daughter of Lewis and Lucy (Vaughn) Cady (see Cady VI), of Bennington, Vermont. They have no children.

(The Cady Line)

The word Cady is derived from Ca-dia, a Gaelic word, meaning the House of God. Cadie is an old Scotch word for messenger. As a surname the word has been variously spelled, Cade, Caddie, Caddy, Cadye, Kayde, Cadey and Cady, and, of course, in a variety of other less common forms. Families of this name bearing coats-of-arms of some antiquity are found in counties Essex, Kent, Suffolk and Gloucester, England. The surname is found in the ancient Hundred Rolls and was not uncommon as early as 1450 in county Sussex.

(I) Nicholas Cady, immigrant ancestor, was born in England, came to this country, landing near Boston, Massachusetts, 1635, later settled in Watertown, Massachusetts. He and John Knapp, who appears to have been a relative, bought of William Potter, of Watertown, December 8, 1645, a house and land in Watertown. Cady deeded his share to John Knapp in August, 1650. Nicholas Cady married (first) Judith, daughter of William Knapp, about 1648. William Knapp was a carpenter; died at Watertown, August 30, 1658, aged about eighty years. Nicholas Cady married (second) Priscilla Akers, widow of Thomas Akers. He took the oath of fidelity in 1652; was of the train band in 1653. He removed to Groton, Massachusetts, early in 1668, and sold his land in Watertown. He was highway surveyor at Groton in 1671. At the time of the abandonment of the town in King Philip's war, he went to Cambridge, where in 1678 he bought a farm of John Wincoll. He was a soldier in King Philip's war and was in Mr. Williams' garrison. He returned to Groton after the war and served as surveyor in 1680-83-85-86. He was constable in 1685 and was corporal of the military company. He died prior to 1712. Cady's pond, about a mile from the village of Groton, takes its name from him. Children, born at Watertown:

  1. John, January 15, 1650-51;
  2. Judith, September 2, 1653;
  3. James, August 28, 1655;
  4. Nicholas, August 2, 1657, died young;
  5. Daniel, November 27, 1659;
  6. Ezekiel, August 14, 1662;
  7. Nicholas, February 20, 1663-64;
  8. Joseph, mentioned below.

(II) Captain Joseph, son of Nicholas Cady, was born at Watertown, May 28, 1666. He married Sarah, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Waters) Davis, of Groton, born August 12, 1667, died at Killingly, Connecticut, December 29, 1742. He went to Groton with the family when a child and served in the garrison defense of the town in 1691-92. In 1695 he was constable of Groton, and in 1699-1701 was granted permission to keep an inn by the general court. He sold his holdings at Groton, February 22, 1702-03, and bought one hundred and fifty acres of land of John Chandler, of Woodstock, later Killingly, now Putnam, Connecticut, whither he went with his family and where he spent the remainder of his life. His farm was located north of the old Providence road, about one mile east of the village of Putnam. The site of the first log house can still be identified. He built a frame house in 1714 and at last accounts it was still standing, though not occupied. A short time before his death, Joseph Cady, Jr., sold this homestead to Darius Session, deputy governor of Rhode Island. In 1708 Joseph Cady, Sr., was chosen lieutenant of the train band of Aspinock; in 1721 he was commissioned captain, and was engaged in Father Rasle's war. He was noted for his giant frame and physical prowess and gained great influence over the Indians. This story is told of him: "As Joseph Cady was one day cutting brush alone, an Indian approached him from the neighboring forest and expressed a strong desire to try the skill of a white man in wrestling. Cady thought to himself that if he could throw the fellow it might operate to deter the Indians from hostilities against the settlements, and accepted the challenge. Both men struggled long and desperately, but Cady at last prevailed and the Indian was prostrated. Unfortunately he fell among the brush which his antagonist had been cutting, and one of the sharp stumps perforating his skull, he died on the spot." Captain Cady had charge of the public lands of Killingly for many years and was useful in public affairs. He was townsman in 1728 and deputy to the general court, 1731-34. Children, of whom the six eldest were born in Groton, the, others in Killingly:

  1. Joseph, October 3, 1690;
  2. William, about 1692;
  3. James, November 22, 1694;
  4. Isaac, January 17, 1696-97;
  5. Abigail, January 22, 1699;
  6. Stephen, June 16, 1701;
  7. David, mentioned below;
  8. Jonathan, baptized April 4, 1714;
  9. Benjamin, baptized April 4, 1714.

(III) Captain David, son of Captain Joseph Cady, was born at Killingly, September 17, 1703, baptized there April 4, 1714. He married, November 17, 1722, Hannah, born May 29, 1705, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Waters) Whitmore. He died at Killingly, November 1, 1788; his wife died July, 1803, aged ninety-nine years. They joined the Killingly church, October 18, 1726. He lived at Killingly on land deeded to him by his father, January 20, 1737-38. In October, 1747, he, was commissioned captain of the train band of Killingly. Children, born at Killingly:

  1. Sarah, January 9, 1723-24;
  2. Hannah, July 2, 1725;
  3. Joseph, June 25, 1727;
  4. Bridget, December 10, 1729;
  5. Mary, December 15, 1731;
  6. Alice, November 17, 1734;
  7. Jerusha; October 3, 1736;
  8. Thankful, March 4, 1739;
  9. Isaac, January 21, 1741;
  10. David, February 10, 1742-43;
  11. Jonathan, mentioned below.

(IV) Captain Jonathan, son of Captain David Cady, was born at Killingly, June 14, 1748. In January, 1775, Jonathan Cady, with others, contributed to a fund and secured three acres of land in Killingly for a training field. He was commissioned May 18, 1774, lieutenant of the Fourth Company, Eleventh Regiment, Colonel Ebenezer Williams. His brother, Joseph Cady, was captain. Jonathan was commissioned captain May 25, 1779. He was a lister or assessor of Killingly in 1785. About 1790 he removed to Providence, Rhode Island, and leased land on what is now Cady street, and erected a house, the timber of which was drawn by ox team from his farm in Killingly. He was admitted to the First Baptist Society of Providence, July 25, 1805. In 1796 he was on a committee to procure a bell for the North Church, Killingly. His application for a pension on account of revolutionary service, dated August 20, 1832, aged eighty-four years, was granted as a lieutenant, January 17, 1833. He was a shoemaker by trade. He married, November 20, 1766, Rebecca Cady, his cousin, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Church) Cady, granddaughter of Captain Joseph Cady (II). He died July 12, 1834; she died February 23, 1826. Children, born at Killingly:

  1. David, mentioned below;
  2. Shubael, May 6, 1770;
  3. Asenath, February 19, 1772;
  4. Matilda, June 25, 1774;
  5. Permelia, February 7, 1775, died August 21, 1796.

(V) David (2), son of Captain Jonathan Cady, was born at Killingly, December 12, 1769, died December 7, 1837, at Providence, and is buried in Riverside cemetery in East Providence. He was a dyer by trade and during the war of 1812 was engaged in the manufacture of cotton cloth at West Greenwich, Rhode Island; later he removed to Providence. He married (first) January 28, 1789, Nancy Waterman, born October 26, 1769, died May 22, 1812, buried at Thompson, Connecticut. He married (second) January 5, 1813, Catherine, born April 1, 1779, died May 7, 1836, daughter of Moses Lippit. Children of first wife, born at Killingly:

  1. Lucia, December 9, 1791;
  2. Milton, August 3, 1792;
  3. Lewis, mentioned below;
  4. Lawton, July 24, 1796;
  5. Permelia, April 10, 1798;
  6. Wesley, February 21, 1800;
  7. Jonathan, January 9, 1802;
  8. Eliza, October 4, 1803;
  9. Ann, September 3, 1805;
  10. Susan J., August 1, 1807;
  11. Resolved Waterman, May 10, 1810;
  12. Christopher Allem, twin of Resolved Waterman.

Children of second wife, born at Killingly:

  1. Tabitha, October 6, 1813;
  2. Moses Greene, December 20, 1814;
  3. David, March 12, 1817;
  4. Rebecca, July 26, 1819;
  5. Shubael, February 10, 1821.

(VI) Lewis, son of David (2) Cady, was born in Killingly, February 20, 1793, died at Bennington, Vermont, September 27, 1864, He married (first) Sally Smith, born September 20, 1798, died November, 1814; married (second) Lucy Vaughn, born January 10, 1806, died April 14, 1873. Child of first wife:

  1. Horace S., born August 30, 1814; married Eliza Dusenbury, born August 4, 1815, died March 11, 1888; he died August 20, 1879.

Children of second wife:

  1. James, born August 10, 1820, died July 1, 1869;
  2. Mary Ann, September 13, 1823, died January 12, 1842;
  3. George B., March 5, 1826, died February 4, 1893;
  4. Susan E., March 31, 1828; married Dr. Thomas H. Stuart; died September 18, 1907;
  5. Harriet L., October 30, 1830; married Calvin Norton; died August 27, 1906;
  6. Jane Eliza, September 17, 1833; married Charles Hall; died October 12, 1862;
  7. William H., June 6, 1836; married Maggie Hunter; he died February 24, 1879;
  8. Lucia H., May 28, 1839; married William Lord Hall (see Hall IV);
  9. Mary A., April 29, 1842, died December 13, 1859;
  10. Sarah P., March 5, 1845, married Aseph Childs; died May 31, 1897.

Go to top of page | previous family: Hall | next family: Washburn

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Hall updated March 30, 2015

Copyright 2015 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library