This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Griffith

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Griffith

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Rathbone | next family: Packer

[This information is from Vol. I, pp. 187-194 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

The family name of Griffith is derived from the Welsh and Cornish British, and signifies one who has strong faith; from "cryf," Welsh for strong, and "ffyd," meaning faith.

The Griffith Arms: Shield: Gules, three lioncels passant in pale argent armed gules. Motto: Virtus omnia nobilitat.

(I) William Griffith came to America from Cardigan, Wales, in 1731, and was one of the earliest settlers of Oneida county, New York. The line of his descent leads to Llewellyn, last King of Wales, beheaded by the English in 1282, and to Griffith, his son, also King of Wales. His participation in the revolution as a soldier is established. His wife, Ruth Griffith, born in England, accompanied him to America.

(II) Major Joshua, son of William and Ruth Griffith, was born February 8, 1763, died April 10, 1830. He lived at Nassau, Rensselaer county, New York. He was a participant in many of the actions in the war of 1812. His militia commission as a captain in Lieutenant-Colonel Nicholas Staat's regiment, dated March 30, 1803, also his commission, dated April 10, 1811, as a major in Lieutenant-Colonel Cornelius J. Schermerhorn's regiment, Rensselaer county militia, can be seen in the office of the secretary of state at the capitol, Albany, in "Minutes of Council of Appointment (Militia)," Book E, pp. 107 and 444; also, in History of Rensselaer County, N. Y., page 71, under heading "43rd Regt., Field and Staff." Just as the war of 1812 opened, he was visiting his father in Central New York, and was mustered into Colonel Mead's Seventeenth New York state detached militia regiment, Captain Daniel Root's company, as a private, and performed active service in that capacity. After the war he returned to Nassau, where he died, his wife, Ruth (Paine) Griffith, surviving him. She was a daughter of Smith Paine, and sixth in descent from Stephen Paine, of Rehoboth, Massachusetts, who was one of the principal subscribers to King Philip's war, and a descendant of Hugh de Payen. Their son was given the name of her father, becoming Smith Griffith.

(III) Smith, son of Major Joshua and Ruth (Paine) Griffith, was born at Nassau, Rensselaer county, New York, April 20, 1793, died of old age and general decline, February 22, 1878. He occupied nearly all the official positions in the gift of the town, was an elder in the Presbyterian church of his native town, and gained renown as a prominent Abolitionist in civil war times. During the anti-slavery agitation he helped to carry on the famous "Underground Railroad," as the secret method for liberating the slaves was styled, and by his instrumentality many of the colored race escaped to Canada. In a number of ways he helped to improve Nassau, and worked actively to increase its prosperity. Smith Griffith married (first) Lemira Herrick, born April 30, 1793, died November 15, 1859, daughter of John and Nancy (Platt) Herrick, and she was second in lineal descent from Colonel Rufus Herrick, of the New York continental line in revolutionary war; seventh in lineal descent from Sir William Herrick, of London, Leicester and Beau Manor Park (one of the most distinguished courtiers at the Court of Elizabeth); and eighteenth in lineal descent from Eric, King of Denmark. She made use of the arms granted to Sir William Herrick by Queen Elizabeth, and which are registered in the Herald's College, viz.: "Argent; a fesse vaire or and gules. Crest: A bull's head, couped argent, horned erased sable and gorged with a chaplet of roses proper. Motto: Virtus omnia nobilitat." Her mother's father was Captain Israel Platt, of the New York line in the revolution, who was a grandson of Major Epenetus Platt, of colonial times. She was also fifth in lineal descent from Captain John Stanton of the colonies, and sixth from Thomas Stanton, interpreter-general to the colonies and assistant to Governor Winthrop; sixth in descent also from Captain John, and the seventh from Captain George Denison, a noted leader in King Philip's war, and seventh also in descent from Captain James Avery of the same war. By this marriage Smith Griffith had two children, Edwin Henry and Mary. Some years after the death of his wife, he married the widow of Chester Griswold, of Troy, New York; no children by that marriage.

(IV) Edwin Henry, son of Smith and Lemira (Herrick) Griffith, was born at Nassau, Rensselaer county, New York, December 1, 1830, died at Albany, New York, May 16, 1875. He received his early education and. was prepared for college at the Nassau Academy, following which course he entered Oberlin College, Ohio, and shortly left it for Yale, where he was acknowledged to be one of the brightest men in his class, and was affiliated there with the Kappa Sigma Theta fraternity. Hardly had he left college when he married, and immediately embarked in the milling business at Nassau. By close application and judicious management, he soon built up a prosperous business, principally in the sale of rye flour and feed, which he shipped to large firms in New York city and other places. He sold his mills in 1864, and removed to Castleton, New York, where he established the banking business of the place, founding the National Bank of Castleton, with which he was officially connected as cashier until the failure of his health in 1874. While there he was prominently identified with the business and religious interests of the place, and was actively concerned in all public improvements. He was an officer of the Dutch Reformed church, and the superintendent of the Sunday school. About two years before he left Castleton, a severe attack of pleurisy left him with a cough which later developed into consumption, and desiring to test the climate of California and Colorado, he resigned from his office at the bank and started for the west in October, 1874, stopping for the winter in Denver. The result was not a change for the better, for his health failed rapidly, and after the death of his only daughter, Grace, it was decided that he could not stand the climate and he returned to Albany with his family in the spring of 1875, where he died May 16th. He was universally esteemed, and during his successful career made and kept a great number of friends, who regarded him highly because of his sterling integrity and Christian character, which never allowed him to waver in his duty. Edwin H. Griffith married, at Nassau, New York, September 29, 1852, Mary Louisa, daughter of George Washington and Sybil Anne (Rowe) Knowlton, born in Greenbush, New York, March 26, 1833. Children:

  1. Edwin Henry, born January 23, 1855, died at Nassau, New York, July 24, 1864.
  2. George Smith, October 26, 1857, died at Albany, New York, October 8, 1876.
  3. William Herrick, January 27, 1866, see forward.
  4. Grace, April 25, 1870, died at Denver, Colorado, February 6, 1875.

(V) William Herrick, son of Edwin Henry and Mary Louisa (Knowlton) Griffith, was born at Castleton, Rensselaer county, New York, January 27, 1866, named for Sir William Herrick. of London, Leicester and Beau Manor Park, from whom he is ninth in lineal descent. On his father's side he is lineally descended from the New England and Colonial families of Herrick, Paine, Smith, Perrin, Trask, Leonard, Avery, Denison, Stanton, Starkweather, Lord, Thompson, Peck, Chickering, Cross, Lay, and the Platts and Scudders of Long Island. Of these the Paines, Perrins, Herricks, Averys, Denisons, Stantons, Lords, Pecks and Platts were entitled to and made use of coats-of-arms. Mr. Griffith received his primary education at "Jane Coley's Private School for Boys" at Albany. He was partly prepared for college at the Albany Academy and advanced by the private tuition of Rev. Charles H. W. Stocking, D.D. He entered Yale in 1886, but ill health prevented completion of the course, and he then traveled with Dr. Stocking through England, Scotland, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Austria, France, Italy and Switzerland, makig his sojourn in these countries an educational one, to a great extent, and studying the archaeology, life and customs of the various places, which brought about his contributions to various American periodicals while he was abroad.

On returning from Europe, Mr. Griffith accepted a position in the First National Bank of Albany, and after some years resigned to embark for himself in the insurance business, his offices in 1910 being in the Tweddle Building, Albany, New York, and his residence No. 445 State street. He was probably the first to attempt organizing the members of his family on the maternal side into the Knowlton Association of America. This was due to the fondness he had always had for all matters appertaining to genealogy, history and patriotic hereditary orders, and it was natural that he was chosen its secretary and treasurer. He possesses many heirlooms and relics, chief among which he prizes the musket carried by his great-great-grandfather, Lieutenant Daniel Knowlton, while a private and sergeant in the old French war; some Revolutionary scrip with which he was paid off, and a few of his old books. Credit is due to him for his activity in the interest of Philip Livingston Chapter, Sons of the Revolution, of which he was treasurer in 1896, secretary in 1897-98, vice-regent in 1899 and regent in 1900-01.

Mr. Griffith can count twenty-five ancestors who performed illustrious military and civil services in the colonies previous to 1775; six ancestors who were officers in the continental army during the revolution, and two who rendered service in the war of 1812. This unusually favorable condition renders him eligible to nearly all of the patriotic hereditary orders, and he has joined nearly every one. He holds membership in the "Sons of the Revolution" in right of services of and lineal descent from: Colonel Rufus Herrick, Major Robert Freeman, Captain Israel Platt, Lieutenant Daniel Knowlton, William and Joshua Griffith, Ensign William Peters, Privates Nicholas and Garrett Row. In the "Society of Colonial Wars" he represents: Governor Robert Treat, Hon. Richard Treat, Stephen Hopkins of the "Mayflower"; eight in King Philip's war, General Constant Southworth, Captain George Denison, Captain John Denison, Major Epenetus Platt, Captain James Avery, Captain John Stanton, Captain Edward Bangs, Deacon John Doane, Sergeant Daniel Knowlton, Stephen Paine, Thomas Stanton, Nicholas Snow, Samuel Mayo, William Lumpkin, William Collier, Joseph Ford, Bozoan Allen, John Pinder, Samuel Leonard and Stephen Herrick. In the "Society of Mayflower Descendants" he represents: Stephen Hopkins. In the "Order of Founders and Patriots" he represents: John Knowlton (1639) and Lieutenant Daniel Knowlton (1738-1825). In the "Society of War of 1812," he represents: Major Joshua Griffith. In the "Order of the Old Guard of Illinois" he represents Colonel Rufus Herrick, Captain George Denison and Major Joshua Griffith. He was chosen registrar-general and genealogist of the "Ancient Heraldic and Chivalric Order of Albion," founded by Sir Edmund Plowden in 1640, and holds membership in the New England Historical Genealogical Society, Baronial Order of Runnymede, Order of Colonial Governors, the New York State Historical Association, Old Northwest Genealogical Society, and is a thirty-second degree Mason, being a member of Masters Lodge, No. 5, Free and Accepted Masons, and of Albany Sovereign Consistory, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite. While residing from 1892 until 1907 at 989 Madison Avenue, was a vestryman of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Pine Hills, and was also lay reader of the parish. He is now a member of the Episcopal Cathedral of All Saints at Albany. In politics he is a Republican.

William H. Griffith married, in St. Paul's Church, Albany, February 3, 1892, by Rev. J. S. B. Hodges, S.T.D., of Baltimore, and Rev. C. H. W. Stocking, D.D., of Orange, New Jersey, Grace Elizabeth Clute, daughter of Hon. Matthew Henry and Elizabeth (Clute) Robertson, who were married at St. George's Church, Schenectady, June 2, 1863. Child, Margaret Frances, born at Albany, New York, December 27, 1892.

Grace Elizabeth Clute (Robertson) Griffith was born in Albany, New York, and was baptized in St. George's Episcopal Church of Schenectady. She was educated at St. Agnes' School, Albany, graduating in 1883, as Latin salutatorian of her class. She was elected regent of Gansevoort Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, and president of the Society of Graduates of St. Agnes' School. She has been a member of the National Mary Washington Colonial Association since her mother's death.

Matthew Henry Robertson, father of Mrs. William H. Griffith, was born at Malmesbury, Wiltshire, England, died at Albany, December 19, 1903. He studied law at the place of his birth, and in 1858 came to Albany, where he continued his studies in the office of Hon. William Barnes, continuing thus until January, 1860, when the New York State Insurance Department being organized, and Mr. Barnes receiving the appointment of its first superintendent, on May 1, 1860, Mr. Robertson became a regular clerk in the department; in 1870 became the chief clerk, continuing as such until in June, 1892, Superintendent James F. Pierce appointed him the second deputy, which position he held until his death. He was a vestryman of St. Paul's Church for fourteen years. He was the son of James Robertson, born at Malmesbury, England, August 12, 1802, died March 16, 1876, at Chicago, Illinois, and his wife, Elizabeth Worcester, born October 25, 1804, at Coventry, England, died at Malmesbury, England, March 15, 1841, whom he married April 6, 1826. Elizabeth Worcester was the daughter of Charles Worcester, born at Coventry, England, November 1, 1773, who married, June 5, 1802, Elizabeth Newcomb, born November 25, 1782, at Coventry, England; son of Joseph Worcester, born December 7, 1739; married, January 3, 1764, Susannah Holmes, born 1742; son of John Worcester, died April 14, 1763; married, May 28, 1738, Mary Smith, died May 12, 1763; son of Joseph Worcester. Matthew H. Robertson's grandfather was Matthew Robertson, of Monditts Park, Malmesbury, England, born in 1756, died August 21, 1825; married Ann Beams, born at Chippenham, England, in 1765, died at Malmesbury, in 1839. He was of Scottish descent, from Alexander Robertson, of Strowan, distinguished as a poet and partisan of the Stewarts in the uprisings of 1690, 1715, and 1745. This was one of the oldest and most distinguished families of Scotland, being the sole remaining branch of the Royal House which occupied the throne of Scotland during the eleventh, twelfth, and thirteenth centuries.

Elizabeth (Clute) Robertson, mother of Mrs. William H. Griffith, was born at Schenectady, New York. She resided for many years at her home, No. 445 State street, Albany, New York, and died there August 1, 1906. She was a member of Mohawk Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, and of National Mary Washington Colonial Association. She traces her descent from Frederick Clute, who came to this country from Neurenbergh as a trader, and after living a time at Kingston, New York in 1703, bought land of Johannes Clute at Niskayuna, New York. He married Francyntje Du Mont (Dumond) and they had son, Jacob, born at Kingston, November 6, 1698, who married, November 16, 1727, at Albany, Maria Brouwer, baptized May 1, 1709, at Brooklyn, through her heirs to the Anneke Jans estate and descent from William I. of Holland. Jacob Clute and Maria Brouwer had a son, Pieter Clute, born at Albany, died at Schenectady, 1780; married Catherine Marselis, born February 15, 1736, died at Niskayuna, aged eighty-one years. They had a son, Peter Clute, born at Schenectady, April 28, 1765, died there July 7, 1835; married, March 5, 1786, Angelica Van Slyke, born, Schenectady, September 2, 1764, died there May 24, 1848, being the daughter of Cornelius Van Slyke, born, Schenectady, December 1, 1736, who was first lieutenant in Colonel Goose Van Schaick's regiment, New York State Continental line in the revolution, and Catherine Veeder, born, Schenectady, April 22, 1744. Peter Clute and Angelica Van Slyke had a son, Cornelius Peter Clute, born at Schenectady, November 14, 1788, died there, August 30, 1870; married, Schenectady, April 16, 1828, Angelica Truax, born February 13, 1796, at Schenectady, died there October 4, 1878, being the daughter of Isaac Truax, born at Schenectady, July 19, 1755, died there December 22, 1854; married, January 1, 1794, Elizabeth Clute, born, Albany, August 21, 1757, died Schenectady, August 4, 1847. Cornelius P. Clute and Angelica Truax had a daughter, Elizabeth Clute, who married Hon. Matthew Henry Robertson.

(The Knowlton Line)

The family name of Knowlton is derived from the Cornish-British word, "knowl," a promontory, hill or eminence, with the suffix "ton," or the old Saxon "tun," for town, and signifies people "from the hill town." The place where the Knowltons lived was long known as Knowhill. In the Domesday Book the name is Chenoltone, and in subsequent books it may be found indifferently spelled Cnolton, Knolton, Knollton, Knowlton, Knoulton, Knowton, Knowlden, Nowton, Noulton and Nolton.

Going back to the Middle Ages, one learns of the tradition of two brothers enlisting in the service of William the Conqueror, and fighting so bravely during his invasion of Wales, that they readily won their spurs. Having observed that they resided, the one on a hill and the other on a knoll, or lesser hill, the king, on investing them with the honors and insignia of knighthood, dubbed them Hill-ton and Knoll-ton. Whatever of truth may attach to this tradition, it is certain that the name is an ancient one, born out of its own native soil. The Knowlton Arms — certified by H. Farnham Burke, Somerset Herald. Shield: Argent, a chevron between three crowns or ducal coronets sable. Crest: A demi-lion rampant. Motto: Vi et virtute.

Regarding where they lived, in the Domesday Book, that curious and quaint record of estates and surveys which the Conquerer ordered in 1083, that he might know the extent of his realm and provide for the royal revenues, there was a Knowlton Hundred, which was originally but a mere hamlet in Dorsetshire, which became by royal appointment a Fair Town and a rural center of considerable importance. The original hamlet and manor have long since passed away; but the name survives. Knowlton Parish and Knowlton Hall still designate a manor and baronial residence in Kent county, six miles from the archepiscopal city of Canterbury.

Thomas Knowlton, the antiquarian, was fond of telling of the distinction enjoyed by one of his ancestors, a retainer of the Earl of Warwick, who always appeared in court dress, with a silver and jewelled sword at his belt, and other insignias of rank, and who stood high with the king. He had charge of one of the Earl's castles in Kent, and was a descendant of the Knowltons mentioned.

(I) Captain William Knowlton, the progenitor of the family in America, sailed from the Port of London for Nova Scotia in 1632-34, as is usually believed, although this date only approximate. It is probable that his sons John, William, Deacon Thomas, and perhaps Samuel, accompanied him on the voyage, for one of the latter name was found in Hingham soon after the others appeared in Ipswich, and he died in 1655, leaving a will, probated September, 1655, in which he names "brother John" as executor. Captain Knowlton died on the westward voyage, and his widow and children proceeded to Nova Scotia, where they remained only a short time. They are next heard of as being in Ipswich, Massachusetts, where his son John became a resident in 1639, William and Thomas following him there in 1642. The old town had been organized only the previous year, when John arrived. Captain Knowlton was at least a part owner of the vessel in which he sailed for America, and his death doubtless occurred not far from Nova Scotia, for a land surveyor, Alphonso Wells, employed by the Canadian government to survey land in Shelburne in 1839, found an ancient headstone there bearing the name of William Knowlton, 1632. It is tradition that the vessel was sold there, near Annapolis the first settlement, and with the proceeds his widow and children went to Hingham the following year, where it is believed that she remarried.

Patriotic devotion to their new country was a marked feature of these early settlers, and the Knowltons were no exception. Four of the name, John, Benjamin, Abraham and William, served in King Philip's war; several of them participated in the siege and capture of Louisburg; the rosters of the revolutionary troops frequently bear the Knowlton name, and in the subsequent wars of 1812 and of the revolution the same stock was notably at the front. Old Ipswich gave an extraordinary proof of this devotion to country on June 9, 1788, when all the commoners, including many Knowltons, surrendered all their lands to pay the town debts incurred during the war of independence. Family history gives the name of Ann Elizabeth Smith as the wife who came to this country with Captain William Knowlton, and on June 9, 1668, the records show that one Ann, widow of William Knollton, petitioned for an appraisal of land in Hingham. Children:

  1. John, born 1610, see forward;
  2. William, born 1615, married Elizabeth ————;
  3. Deacon Thomas, born 1622, married (first) Susannah ————; (second) Mary Kimball;
  4. Samuel.

(II) John, son of Captain William and Anne Elizabeth (Smith) Knowlton, was born in 1610, in England. He was a shoemaker, and resided in Ipswich, Massachusetts. He became a citizen there in 1639, and a freeman June 9, 1641. On December 19, 1648, he subscribed to a fund for the pay of Major Denison, to whom he had entrusted the defence of the township against the assaults of Indians and other enemies. From the records of sales and transfers of property in Ipswich, it would appear that he accumulated a considerable property. He died October 8, 1654-55. John Knowlton married Marjery Wilson, born in England, survived him but a few months. Children:

  1. John, born 1633, see forward;
  2. Abraham, born 1635, died unmarried;
  3. Elizabeth, born 1639.

(III) John (2), son of John (1) and Marjery (Wilson) Knowlton, was born in 1633. He was, as his father, a shoemaker. He took the freeman's oath October 16, 1680, and was drafted into the Narragansett Expedition November 30, 1670. He had the misfortune of failing eyesight when only forty-two years old, as shown by a letter written April 5, 1675, and this forced him into a precarious condition as he had to abandon his trade, particularly because he would require someone to protect him, and this burden troubled him. His name, however, appears connected with a number of real estate transactions, so he was evidently a man of substance. He removed to Wrentham, before 1679, and died October, 1684. John Knowlton married Sarah, daughter of John and Sarah Whipple, her father being "feoffee of the Grammar School" in Ipswich, a deputy to the general court in 1640, deacon and ruling elder; she died February 4, 1678. Children:

  1. Joseph, born 1652, married Mary Wilson, August 14, 1677;
  2. Samuel, born 1653, married Mary Witt, August 16, 1669;
  3. Daniel, born 1655, married and resided at Holliston, Massachusetts;
  4. John, born 1656, married Sarah ————;
  5. Nathaniel, born July 24, 1658, see forward;
  6. Elizabeth, born March 1, 1659, married Timothy Dorman, November 30, 1688, and died September 22, 1788;
  7. Thomas, born May 19, 1662, married Hannah Carter, 1683;
  8. William, born 1664, married Lydia ————, March 16, 1688, and settled in Wenham;
  9. Jonathan, born 1665, married Elizabeth ————, and settled in Malden, Massachusetts;
  10. Susannah, born August 15, 1673.

(IV) Nathaniel, son of John (2) and Sarah (Whipple) Knowlton, was born July 24, 1658, died September 18, 1726. He was a man of consequence in Ipswich, and was recorded a commoner February 18, 1678. He was made a deacon of the First Congregational Church in 1697; for many years was treasurer of the church, and was a deputy to the general court in 1700-02-03-05-09-14-20. Nathaniel Knowlton married, May 3, 1682, Deborah Jewett, from Rowley, Massachusetts, daughter of Benjamin Jewett, who conveyed land to his son-in-law, December 26, 1684, and she died in 1743. Children:

  1. Nathaniel, born May 3, 1683, see forward;
  2. John, born December 7, 1685, married Susannah Hutton;
  3. Joseph, born April, 1687, died young;
  4. Thomas, born November 8, 1692;
  5. Abraham, born February 27, 1698, married Mary Smith Knowlton, September 20, 1722;
  6. Elizabeth born September 15, 1702;
  7. David, born May 15, 1707, married Esther Howard, February 25, 1731.

(V) Nathaniel (2), son of Nathaniel (1) and Deborah (Jewett) Knowlton, was born May 3, 1683. He married Mary Bennett, publication of which was made February 13, 1703. Children:

  1. Mary, born June 3, 1704;
  2. William, born February 8, 1706, see forward;
  3. Nathaniel, born June 30, 1708, married Mary Fuller;
  4. Jeremiah, born July 13, 1712, died young;
  5. Jeremiah, born August 2, 1713, married Sarah Allen, July 24, 1735, and resided at Concord, New Hampshire;
  6. Martha, married Dr. Flint.

(VI) William, son of Nathaniel (2) and Mary (Bennett) Knowlton, was born at Ipswich, Massachusetts, February 8, 1706, died in Ashford, Connecticut, March 13, 1753. He was a "housewright." He moved to West Boxford, where he married Martha Pinder, a granddaughter of John Pynder, an English soldier who subscribed to advance the cause in King Philip's war. The publication of their marriage was on February 13, 1728, After marriage, he removed to Ashford, Connecticut, 1748, where he purchased a farm which he divided among his sons. Children:

  1. Lucy, died young;
  2. Lucy, born February 20, 1736, married Deacon Abijah Brooks, of Ashford, Connecticut;
  3. William, born December 23, 1738, married Mehitable Eaton, of Ashford;
  4. Daniel, born December 23, 1738, see forward;
  5. Thomas, born November 30, 1740, married Anna Keyes, April 5, 1759;
  6. Nathaniel, born May 9, 1746, died young;
  7. Mary, born May 9, 1746, married Ezekiah Tiffany, of Ashford;
  8. Sarah, married Joshua Kendall, of Ashford;
  9. Priscilla, died unmarried.

(VII) Lieutenant Daniel, son of William and Martha (Pinder) Knowlton, was born December 23, 1738, and was baptized in the West Parish of Boxford, Massachusetts, December 31, 1738. He was but two years old when his father removed to Ashford, Connecticut. When only nineteen years of age, he enlisted in the colonial regiments for service in the French and Indian war, together with his brother, Thomas. From the start he distinguished himself for bravery and daring, particularly as a scout. On one occasion, while in Captain John Slapp's company, in Lord Loudon's expedition to Fort Edward, between March 15 and October 17, 1757, he saved the life of his companion, Israel Putnam, who was about to fall at the hand of an Indian swaying a tomahawk above him. In June, 1758, he served in Colonel Eleazer Fitch's third Connecticut regiment at Crown Point. About this time he captured three bloodthirsty desperadoes. From May 7 to December 30, 1761, he served as sergeant in Captain Robert Durkee's company, and from March 17, to December 4, 1762, in Captain Hugh Ledlie's company, engaged in the Crown Point Expedition. He married, November 3, 1763, Elizabeth, daughter of Manassah Farnham, of Windham, and Keziah (Ford) Farnham. She was born at Windham, March 10, 1742. Children:

  1. Daniel, born December 17, 1765; married, April 4, 1793, Betsy Burchard; died February, 1834.
  2. Elizabeth, born March 24, 1768; married Frederick Chaffee, of Ashford.
  3. Nathaniel, born December 24, 1770; married Sarah Leach, November 25, 1798.
  4. Manassah, born December 24, 1770, see forward.
  5. Ephraim, born October 3, 1773; married Jemima Farnham, of Ashford.
  6. Martha, born February 24, 1777; married Charles W. Brandon, of Ashford.
  7. Keziah, born February 9, 1781; married, January 3, 1805, Amasa Lyon.
  8. Hannah, born April 19, 1783; married Daniel Knowlton.

(VIII) Manassah, son of Lieutenant Daniel and Elizabeth (Farnham) Knowlton, was born at Ashford, Connecticut, December 24, 1770, died at Greenbush, New York, January 21, 1841. He was a thrifty, industrious, solid, benevolent man, whose advice to young and old brought to him in the later years of his life the honored name of "Father Knowlton." It is related that he so closely resembled his twin brother, Nathaniel, that his mother had to excite the boys to laughter in order to distinguish them apart. When twenty-one years old he settled in Greenbush, New York, across the Hudson river from Albany. He made considerable money as a farrier during the war of 1812 when innumerable cavalry officers were wont to draw up before his place on the old Rensselaer and Columbia turnpike. In 1798 he purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty-two acres of what was formerly the Van Rensselaer Manor grounds. He declined to unite with any church until about eight fears previous to his death, when he became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. On June 8, 1808, he was commissioned lieutenant in Lieutenant-Colonel Philip Staats' Jegiment, and was promoted to captain, February 29, 1812. He married (first) Lydia Burton, of Schodack, New York, who died July 15, 1806; married (second) Elizabeth Card, of Greenbush, New York; married (third) Clarissa Cogswell, of Greenbush. Children:

  1. Oren, born September 17, 1794, died young;
  2. Ephraim, born December 9, 1795, died January 5, 1824;
  3. Isaac, born May 7, 1797, died May 23, 1883, married Rachel Whitbeck;
  4. Orendia, born February 20, 1799, died October, 1861, married Benjamin Bradbury, February 20, 1818;
  5. Almyra, born February 1, 1801, died September 10, 1827;
  6. Maria, born October 13, 1802, died February 9, 1830;
  7. George Washington, born January 16, 1804, see forward;
  8. Parmelia, born August 16, 1805, died young.

(IX) George Washington, son of Manassah and Lydia (Burton) Knowlton, was born January 16, 1804, died at Albany, New York, October 11, 1884. He entered upon a mercantile career at an early age, and in 1833 associated himself with his brother-in-law, under the firm name of Knowlton & Rowe, as rectifier of spirits and oil merchants. They were the first to manufacture and to use as an illuminator the old "burning fluid." He sold out his interest in 1841, and retired to his place in Greenbush, residing later at Nassau and Castleton, finally returning to Albany to spend his last days. He married Sybil Anne Rowe, born November 15, 1812, a descendant of the Rhenish German Rowes (Rauh), a member of which family, Johannes Rauh, settled in the Nine Partners Tract, in Dutchess county, New York, about 1705. She died in Albany, August 20, 1897. Children:

  1. Mary Louisa, born March 26, 1833, see forward;
  2. George Henry, born November 2, 1835, married, September 15, 1863, Ellenore Ross, of Terre Haute, Indiana;
  3. Charlotte A., born April 9, 1838, died February 15, 1842;
  4. Francis F., born July 17, 1847, died July 18, 1864.

(X) Mary Louisa, daughter of George Washington and Sybil Anne (Rowe) Knowlton, was born in Greenbush, Rensselaer county, New York, March 26, 1833, and was a resident of Albany, New York, in 1910. She obtained her education at the East Greenbush and Nassau academies, and Tyler's Institute, Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Imbued with a tense feeling of patriotism and interested in the history of her ancestors, she was one of the most active originators of the Knowlton Family Association. Her city residence has been at No. 328 Hudson avenue, Albany, for thirty-five years, and at Castleton, New York, she has a summer home known as Glenwood, where she owns about one hundred acres of attractive land. She married, at Nassau, New York, September 29, 1852, Edwin Henry Griffith, of that place. After marriage, she removed with him to Castleton, where her husband founded the National Bank of Castleton. In 1874, owing to the failure of his health, she went with him to Denver, Colorado, where their youngest child Grace died, February 6, 1875, and realizing he could not long survive, they returned to Albany, where he died May 16, 1875 (see Griffith IV).

Go to top of page | previous family: Rathbone | next family: Packer

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Griffith

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/griffith.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library