This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Giles

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Giles

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Lansing | next family: Blessing

[This information is from Vol. I, pp. 84-90 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

The family of Giles [Coat of arms original size (24K) | 4x enlarged (89K)], of Troy, whose history and connection are here traced, descend from the English family of Giles "ancient and honorable." Three brothers of the family went to Ireland with William of Orange, one remaining and founding the Irish branch, the other two retiring after the wars were ended. The family seat in Ireland was Clone House, county Wexford. During the battle of the Boyne, which was fought near Clone House, Ireland, the wounded on both sides, regardless of their religious convictions, were cared for and the kindest attentions paid them as far as possible by the Giles family. It is from the Irish branch, still seated at Clone House, that Leonard House Giles descends. He is of the third generation in the United States. The English family bore arms as follows: "Per chevron argent and azure, a lion rampant, counter-charged; collared or;" "Crest: A lions gambrel erect and erased, gules enfiled with a bear gemelle or holding a bunch of apples of the last leaved vert." The crest differs some, having a lion's head only. Through maternal lines the ancestry traces to some of the oldest families of New England. The Snows, 1623, the Stoddards of England, whose first representative in America died 1661, the Buckinghams of New Haven, Connecticut, 1637, the Moseleys of Dorchester, 1639, who trace their English ancestry to 1081, the House family of Connecticut and New York, the Murdocks, who came from Ireland in 1696, and other of the older families are connected by marriage with the Giles. There is a constant record of military service to be found, some of which is herein noted.

(I) Henry Giles was born in Clone House, county Wexford, Ireland, 1791, six years before the Irish rebellion. His mother's maiden name was Godkin, his grandmother's Webster. He learned the art of glass blowing in Ireland, and while a young man emigrated to this country with a brother William, leaving one brother James at home. He settled at the village of Durhamville, town of Marcy, Oneida county, New York, where he worked at his trade until 1816, and then removed to Elizabeth, county of Leeds, upper Canada. Here he settled upon a wild and unimproved farm, and with the aid of a few neighbors built a log cabin in which he began life as a farmer. He then had a wife and two very young children. He worked hard to clear the land of timber, so hard, in fact, that he overworked, and died October 24, 1823, from a ruptured blood vessel caused by overwork in felling trees, at the age of thirty-two years, leaving his widow with six young children, all boys. He was a consistent Christian, and was highly respected by all who knew him. He was reared in the Church of England, but in the United States embraced the Methodist faith, and was a local preacher in Canada, often filling the pulpit when no regular minister was available. He married, in 1814, in Oneida county, New York, Margaret Jones, born in Wales. Children:

  1. Henry Godkin, see forward;
  2. David C., born November 1, 1816, a fireman of Utica, New York, where a stone marks his burial place, erected "by his many friends";
  3. William W., October 18, 1818;
  4. James M., 1820;
  5. John J., November 13, 1822.

After the death of her husband Margaret Giles returned to Oneida county with her six children and settled in Rome, New York, where she died.

(II) Henry Godkin, eldest child of Henry and Margaret (Jones) Giles, was born in Deerfield, Oneida county, New York, March 27, 1815, died at Troy, New York, January 5, 1879. His parents shortly after removed to Canada where his early boyhood was spent. On the return to Rome he attended the public school, and later learned the trade of tinner and coppersmith. He later established a hardware and stove business in Rome, which he continued until 1858. He then spent two years in Rochester, New York, settling in Troy, New York, in 1860. Here he was a stove manufacturer. He admitted his son as partner, and the business continued as H. G. Giles & Son until the death of the senior partner. He was a member of the First Particular Baptist Church, of Troy, which he served as trustee. He was connected with the New York National Guard, and was appointed by Governor Seward, paymaster-general. He married, June 2, 1840, at Houseville, Lewis county, New York, Harriet House, born November 7, 1816 (see House III). Children:

  1. Leonard House, mentioned below;
  2. Albert Henry, born at Rome, New York, March 22, 1844, died in that city, January 2, 1850, buried with his father at Rome.

(III) Leonard House, eldest son of Henry Godkin and Harriet (House) Giles, was born at Rome, New York, May 23, 1841. He was educated in the common and high schools of that city, and at Rome Academy. After the family removed to Troy he studied law for a year, but abandoning the idea of a profession he entered the hardware store of J. M. Warren & Company, remaining with that firm until 1866. He then became associated with his father in the manufacture of stoves, as H. G. Giles & Son. In 1888 he established his present business, nickel plating and manufacturing, being senior partner of Giles & Nielsen, with a plant in Troy. He is a member of the First Particular Baptist Church of Troy, the Chamber of Commerce, and through a patriotic ancestry gains membership in the Sons of the American Revolution. Politically he is an independent Republican. He married, (first), at Cohasset, January 20, 1869, Susan Elizabeth Snow, born at Cohasset, Massachusetts, October 21, 1847, died at Troy, April 25, 1872; buried at Cohasset, (see Snow VIII). Children:

  1. Anna Louisa, born at Troy, February 4, 1870;
  2. Henry Snow, April 22, 1872, at Troy.

Leonard H. Giles married (second) at Jersey City, New Jersey, December 15, 1880, Anna Laurella Clarke, born at Albany, New York, January 28, 1861.

(IV) Henry Snow, only son of Leonard House and Susan Elizabeth (Snow) Giles, was born in Troy, April 22, 1872. He was educated in Troy, graduating from the high school. His business life has been spent in Troy, and he is now a partner of the firm of Robert Ewing & Sons (incorporated), makers of laundry machinery. He served in the Troy Citizens Corp for ten years, enlisted in the Spanish-American war, and is now a member of the "Old Guard." He is secretary of the Trojan Hook and Ladder Company, and an independent Republican. He is a member of the First Particular Baptist Church. He married, June 29, 1910, Ethelyn Howe Ripley, of Cohasset, Massachusetts.

(The House Line)

Eleazer House was born in Glastonbury, Connecticut, September 20, 1759, died at Houseville, Lewis county, New York, January 30, 1833, and is buried there. He went into northern New York at an early day and became a large land owner and lumberman, founding the town of Houseville. He had five sons, to four of whom he gave each a farm. His eldest son was lost at sea during his first voyage to which his parents consented, he promising to then abandon his great desire for a sailor's life. He married, December 25, 1782, Abigail Moseley (see Moseley VI), born at Glastonbury, Connecticut, January 7, 1763, died at Houseville, March 18, 1833. Children, first five born at Glastonbury, two at Houseville:

  1. Robbard, April 1, 1785, lost at sea;
  2. Leonard, August 24, 1787, see forward;
  3. Anson, July 14, 1790, married Lucinda Foster Blossom;
  4. Jared, March 27, 1792, married Lucy Ann Kelsey;
  5. Joseph, April 4, 1796, married Amanda Caldwell;
  6. Abby, January 4, 1802, married Amos B. Carpenter;
  7. Hopy, March 2, 1804, married James Murdock.

(II) Leonard, second son of Eleazer and Abigail (Moseley) House, was born in Glastonbury, Connecticut, August 24, 1787, died at Houseville, New York, December 23, 1879, and is buried there. He was a farmer of Lewis county, New York, and a large land owner. He married, at Houseville, December 28, 1809, Louisa Murdock, born in Sandgate, Vermont, January 12, 1788, died at Houseville, July 6, 1870 (see Murdock V). Children, all born at Houseville:

  1. Ann Louisa, November 10, 1810;
  2. an infant son, born and died January 12, 1813;
  3. James, born February 6, 1814, died November 13, 1876, married Emily Olivia King;
  4. Harriet, mentioned below;
  5. Moseley Leonard, May 28, 1819;
  6. Caroline, December 9, 1821, married Ralph Henry Foster;
  7. Abby Murdock, July 10, 1824, married Alfred Ethridge;
  8. Harvey Douglass, August 17, 1828, died September 14, 1828;
  9. Emily, October 2, 1830, married Joseph Cutler Fuller.

(III) Harriet, second daughter and fourth child of Leonard and Louisa (Murdock) House, was born at Houseville, New York, November 7, 1816. She married, June 2, 1840, Henry Godkin Giles (see Giles II).

(The Snow Line)

Nicholas Snow, born about 1600, arrived in Plymouth Colony, on the "Ann" in 1623. He had a share in the first Plymouth land division and was of Stephen Hopkins' company in 1627, to whose lot fell a "black weaning calf and calf of this year to come," etc. He was a freeman and taxpayer before 1627. He married Constance, daughter of Stephen Hopkins, both of whom came in the "Mayflower" in 1620. She died October, 1677. There is no complete list of his children but Governor Bradford says, in 1650, he had twelve, all alive and well. He was of sterling value to the new town in all departments, bore its burdens and offices; he died in 1676. Sons mentioned: Mark, Joseph, Stephen, John, Jabez; daughter, Mary, married Thomas Paine.

(II) John, son of Nicholas and Constance (Hopkins) Snow, was born in Plymouth, in 1639, died in Eastham, in 1692. He married Mary Smalley, September 19, 1667. They had nine children, all born in Eastham. Later he moved to Truro, where his father was a large land owner. His sons, John, Isaac and Elisha, moved with him and all became actively identified with the interests of the town.

(III) John (2), son of John (1) and Mary (Smalley) Snow, was born in Eastham, May 3, 1678. He married Elizabeth Ridley, May 25, 1700. He was, next to Thomas Paine, the most active man in the settlement of the town of Truro. He had seven sons and one daughter:

  1. John, born 1706, married Hannah Paine;
  2. Anthony, 1709;
  3. Elisha, 1711;
  4. Isaac, 1713;
  5. Mary, 1716;
  6. Ambrose, 1718;
  7. Amasa, 1720;
  8. David, 1723.

(IV) Anthony, son of John (2) and Elizabeth (Ridley) Snow, born July 28, 1709, died July 11, 1796. He married March 21, 1731, Sarah, daughter of Jonathan Paine. Children:

  1. David, born 1732;
  2. Daniel, 1734;
  3. Elisha, 1736;
  4. John, 1738;
  5. Jonathan, 1740;
  6. Sylvanus, 1742;
  7. Anthony, 1744;
  8. Sarah, 1746;
  9. Elizabeth, 1748;
  10. Anne, 1750;
  11. Mary, 1753;
  12. Jessie, 1759.

(V) David, son of Anthony and Sarah (Paine) Snow, born July 17, 1732, died May 25, 1792. He lived in Truro, on Cape Cod. He was a soldier of the revolution, a private in Captain Mathias Tobey's company. He and his son David were in the same company and marched to Crown Point, in January, 1777. He was afterwards commissioned, September 16, 1777, as first lieutenant of the Barnstable Company, Massachusetts Regiment. During the year 1775 David Snow was living with his large family in the broad, flat house originally belonging to John Snow. Mr. Snow, accompanied by his son David, a lad of fifteen years, while fishing in a boat in Cape Cod bay were captured by English privateers and taken to Halifax. Later they were transferred to "Old Mill" prison, England. A thorough search was made for them on the coast, but they were given up as dead by family and friends. They, with thirty-four others, managed to file the bars and escaped to Plymouth harbor, fifteen miles from the prison, where they secured a large scow and were soon afloat on the English channel. They boarded a small vessel and under threat of surrender or death, took command of the vessel and sailed for the coast of France, where they sold their prize, each having a share of the money. They gave themselves up to the French government and were placed on a vessel and sent to America, landing on the coast of the Carolinas. As the war was still going on, and the coast guarded, Mr. Snow and his son made their way home by land. Friends and neighbors escorted them to their home, all rejoicing in their return. David Snow was a man of influence on the Cape. He was for years a justice of the peace, an important office at that time. He was always called Squire Snow. He married Hannah Collins, July 7, 1758. They had eight sons and two daughters. All the sons became masters of vessels, some were lost at sea while still young. Children:

  1. Stephen, born August 14, 1759;
  2. David, November 23, 1760;
  3. Sarah, March 27, 1763;
  4. John, July 28, 1765;
  5. Daniel, September 6, 1767;
  6. Richard, December 21, 1771;
  7. Hannah, February 27, 1774;
  8. Benjamin, November 19, 1775;
  9. Ephraim, March 15, 1778;
  10. Henry, 1781.

(VI) Henry, son of David and Hannah (Collins) Snow, was born in Truro, October 4, 1781, died in Cohasset, February 5, 1860. When only eight years of age, he went on a fishing cruise of five months to the Great Banks. At the age of eighteen he moved to Cohasset, Massachusetts, where he was master of a coasting vessel. In 1812 he was master of the schooner "Random" which leaked like a sieve, but could sail like the wind. On two occasions during the war of 1812, while sailing the "Random," he was chased by the British, but escaped. He sailed the "Ann," a full rigged brig, for seventeen years. While in Antwerp, Belgium, he had his portrait painted by a celebrated artist; it is now in the possession of his granddaughter. He married June 1, 1803, Deliverance Dyer, of Truro, born November 12, 1781, died in Cohasset, November 9, 1859. Children:

  1. Henry, born January 11, 1804, died March 5, 1808;
  2. Benjamin, August 23, 1806, died March 5, 1829;
  3. Paulina, December 14, 1807;
  4. Henry, September 18, 1810, died April 4, 1904;
  5. Ruth, April 16, 1813;
  6. Elijah, September 27, 1815, died March 6, 1816.

(VII) Captain Henry (2), son of Henry (1) and Deliverance (Dyer) Snow, was born in Cohasset, September 10, 1810, died April 4, 1904. He followed the sea from an early age. While quite a young man he became master and part owner of the "Myra." Later he owned and sailed the "Eldridge" and "Star of Hope." The last named vessel was wrecked in a storm on Brendante Reef, Newport Harbor, in the spring of 1871. Captain Snow then retired from the sea. He lived to an advanced age, was hale and hearty, taking a great interest in all events both local and foreign. He married, December 13, 1840, Susanna Stoddard Lincoln, born August 21, 1822, in Cohasset, Massachusetts, died September 13, 1880, (see Stoddard VIII). Children:

  1. James Henry Snow, born June 30, 1842;
  2. Anna Frances, August 25, 1844, died duly 5, 1869;
  3. Susan Elizabeth, October 21, 1847;
  4. Ruth Nichols, June 29, 1848;
  5. Charlotte Otis, November 8, 1850;
  6. Benjamin Lincoln, August 2, 1852, died January 23, 1859.

(VIII) Susan Elizabeth, daughter of Captain Henry (2) and Susanna Stoddard (Lincoln) Snow, was born in Cohasset, October 21, 1847, died April 25, 1872. Her early life was spent at the homestead, South End, Cohasset. Here she first met her future husband, who spent the summer of 1857 on the sea with her father. He returned to Cohasset succeeding summers, and she married Leonard House Giles, January 20, 1869. She was a beautiful girl, loved by all, but spared only about three years after her marriage. She died in Troy, New York. Children:

  1. Anna Louisa Giles, born February 4, 1870;
  2. Henry Snow Giles, April 22, 1872 (see Giles III).

(The Stoddard Line)

Coat-of-Arms, Sa. three estoiles and a bordure gules, crest on a ducal coronet, a demi horse, salient erm. Motto: Festina Seute: "Be in haste, but not in a hurry." The name Stoddard is derived from the office of standard bearer, and was anciently written De La Standard. William Stoddard, a knight, came from Normandy to England, in 1066, with William the Conquerer, who was his cousin. Of his descendants we find record of Rickard Stoddard, of Nottingham, Kent, near Elthen, about seven miles from London bridge, where was located the family estate of about four hundred acres which was in the possession of the family in 1490 and so continued until the death of Nicolas Stoddard, 1765.

(I) John Stoddard died in 1661. He came to Hingham, Massachusetts, before 1638, as he received at that time a grant of land. His wife was Anna.

(II) Samuel, son of John and Anna Stoddard, born 1640, died 1731. He married Elizabeth, born 1647, died 1693, daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Otis) Gill.

(III) Jeremiah, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Gill) Stoddard, born in Hingham, 1683, died 1763. He married Elizabeth ————, who died in 1775, aged eighty-eight.

(IV) Jeremiah (2), son of Jeremiah (1) and Elizabeth Stoddard, was born in Hingham, 1709, died in 1790. He married, in 1729, Sarah McVaile, born 1710, died 1775.

(V) James, son of Jeremiah (2) and Sarah (McVaile) Stoddard, was born in Hingham, in 1733. He married, 1755, Susanna, born in 1736, daughter of William and Susanna (Beal) Humphrey.

(VI) James (2), son of James (1) and Susanna (Humphrey) Stoddard, was born September 24, 1756, died in Cohasset, March 11, 1833. He was apprenticed when a boy to a shipwright, in Boston; this occupation he afterward followed. A picture in oils in possession of Mr. Stoddard, of Quincy, Massachusetts, shows him at the age of seventeen, with straight dark brown hair done in a cue, large, dark brown eyes, and a dark complexion. Mr. Stoddard also has his sword and other revolutionary relics. In the early days of the controversy, Cohasset was represented in the Boston Tea Party by Major James Stoddard. Tradition also tells of an English brig, bound for Boston with supplies for the British army, becalmed off the shore and taken by Cohasset men. Major Stoddard was the leading spirit on this occasion and when one of the boat's crew pointed to the brig's artillery, and proposed to return, the major declared there should be no going back. The defense of the brig proved to be "Quaker guns," and she became an easy prize. On the muster roll of Captain John Cushing's company in the Thirty-sixth Regiment of Infantry, continental army, encamped October 5, 1775, is James Stoddard, engaged May 17. He marched to Fort Ticonderoga, and is said to have been under General Washington during that dreadful winter in Valley Forge. He married Susanna Lincoln, born 1756, died September 25, 1819. The inscription on his tombstone reads: "Major Stoddard, March 11, 1833, aged seventy-six years."

(VII) Elizabeth, daughter of James (2) and Susanna (Lincoln) Stoddard, was born in the old homestead at Cohasset, December 13, 1784. A descendant of the Stoddard family, Herbert Towle, occupied the homestead in 1897. She married, February 17, 1819, Captain John Lincoln, of Cohasset, she died January 9, 1848. She was always called Betsey.

(VIII) Susanna, daughter of Captain John and Elizabeth (Stoddard) Lincoln, was born in Cohasset, August 21, 1822, died there September 13, 1880. Her father being a sea captain who sailed to foreign parts, Susanna had seven silk dresses when she was married, besides other valuable articles of use and adornment. She married Captain Henry Snow, of Cohasset, December 13, 1840, (see Snow VII).

(The Murdock Line)

Colonial series. Report of State Historian, 1896. Muster Roll of ye Suffolk Regiment, A.D., 1715, Henry Smith, Colonel, Second Company, Hampton Fort. Private Peter Murdock, First Company, Private David Fithian.

(I) John Murdock was a wool comber and had a wool factory and store in Limerick, Ireland. He carried on a large business and became wealthy. Being of English descent and a Protestant, he was dispossessed of his property during the Irish wars, 1688 to 1690, between James II and William of Orange. After losing everything he owned in Limerick, he took shelter with an aunt whose house was fortified. He married Mary Munson. He died in Ireland about 1690.

(II) Peter, son of John and Mary (Munson) Murdock, was born in Ireland, May 6, 1679. In 1696 he emigrated to America and landed in Philadelphia without funds or friends. He went about seeking employment but with little success. At length a Quaker employed him to thrash for his board. He soon began to earn money and was very saving and prudent. He combined day labor with a small trade in scissors, pen knives, needles, etc. (From Saybrook Records). "The Murdocks, though not among the first settlers here, were for more than a quarter of a century the most wealthy and influential families in the parish. Peter Murdock, the progenitor of the family, first appeared in this, part as a peddler of scissors, pen knives, needles, etc. In the latter part of the seventeenth century, he married Mary Fithian of East Hampton, Long Island, about 1705, and set up a small store in that town; next running a small trading sloop on the coast of Long Island Sound, leaving his wife to attend the store. In this business he went on to Westbrook or West Saybrook, as it was sometimes called, where he purchased between eight and nine hundred acres of land, bordering on Pachong river, about one-half mile on its west side. About six years later, he built a dwelling on the bank of the river to which he moved his family and store. There he carried on the mercantile business with the limited stock necessary to the merchant of the olden time when each family produced its own prime necessities. This was the first store in town and its inventory must have been a simple affair, he probably imported his stock from the West Indies." Peter died November 6, 1753, leaving his entire estate to his son John. His wife, born 1689, died in 1753.

(III) John (2), only child of Peter and Mary (Fithian) Murdock, was born in East Hampton, Long Island, in 1708, died January, 1778. He inherited his father's property and his native sagacity, to which was added a superior intelligence, culture and moral character that made him conspicuous among the distinguished men of the colony. He first carried on the business of farming his plantation with the aid of his slaves, who have left monuments of their labor in enormous stone walls surrounding it. His thrift and sagacity brought a large fortune for the times, and made him a power in the community. He was a deacon in the Congregational church; judge of the court of common pleas, a representative in the general assembly for a number of years, was captain of the Tenth Company, Seventh Regiment Connecticut Militia, and served under Abercrombie in Fort Ticonderoga in 1750, during the French and Indian war. May 13, 1766, he was appointed by the general assembly major of the Seventh Regiment Connecticut Militia. At the time of his marriage, about 1730, his father settled upon him one-half of his estate and built him a dwelling where he spent his remaining days. He carried on the farming business extensively for half a century. He was small of stature and of a very fair complexion, with keen, black eyes. His first wife, Phoebe Sill, of Lynn, and her infant died ten months after their marriage. April 11, 1732, he married (second) Frances Conklin, of East Hampton, Long Island. They had thirteen children, seven of whom were boys and six girls. Three boys, Peter, Jonathan and James, graduated from Yale College, and the other four attended the cultivation of the original estate. Major Murdock died at his homestead on the hill. Frances, his wife, died January 10, 1799, aged eighty-six years.

(IV) Rev. James, youngest child of Major John (2) and Frances (Conklin) Murdock, was born in Saybrooktown, February 18, 1755, died January 14, 1841, aged eighty-six years. He graduated from Yale in 1774, and was settled as a Congregational minister at Sandgate, Vermont, in 1780. He moved to Lewis county, New York, 1805. In January, 1811, he was settled as pastor of the church at Martinsburg, New York; resigned in 1820 and removed to Gouverneur, New York, where he labored until 1825. He was then seventy years old, but preached occasionally after this for several years. He resided mostly at Houseville, Lewis county, where his wife died November 11, 1838. In 1839 he made a journey to Vermont, to New York City, and to his native place, where he preached in the same pulpit in which he had officiated at the outset of his ministry, fifty years before. In 1839 he went to reside with his son Samuel at Crown Point, New York, at whose home he died. He married Ann Buckingham, September 30, 1779. (See Buckingham V). They had ten children, three sons and seven daughters.

(V) Louisa, fifth child of Rev. James and Ann (Buckingham) Murdock, was born at Sandgate, Vermont, January 12, 1788, died in Houseville, July 6, 1870. She married Leonard House (see House II), of Houseville, New York, December 28, 1809.

(The Buckingham Line)

Thomas Buckingham, the Puritan settler, arrived in Boston, from London, June 26, 1637, in the ship "Hector." The company sailed for Quinnipiack, near New Haven, March 30, 1638. His home in New Haven probably stood on or near what is now the corner of College and George streets. He removed to Milford, Connecticut, in the autumn of 1639, and was one of the company (of which Mr. Peter Prudden was the pastor) who first settled in that town. The church was organized at New Haven, August 22, 1639, and Thomas Buckingham was one of the seven pillars of which it was composed. He was a deputy to the general court, February 24, 1657. He died in Boston (in the fall of 1657) where he had gone to seek a pastor for the church. He married (first) Hannah ———— in England, by whom he had five children. She died June 28, 1648, in Milford. Married (second) Ann ————.

(II) Thomas (2), son of Thomas (1) Buckingham, was baptized in Milford, November 8, 1646, died April 1, 1709. He preached in Wethersfield, when only eighteen years of age, and commenced preaching in Saybrook in 1665; ordained pastor of the church of Saybrook, in 1670. He was one of the founders and fellows of Yale College, his connection continuing from 1700 until his death. He evidently held high rank among the clergymen of that time for he was one of the moderators of the famous synod which convened at Saybrook, in 1708, and formed a platform for the government of the churches. His monument is still standing in the old burying ground at Saybrook, where his wife, who died June 3, 1702, is also buried. They had nine children, six boys and three girls.

(III) Thomas (3), eldest son of Thomas (2) Buckingham, born in Saybrook, September 29, 1670, died September 12, 1739. He was a prominent man in town affairs, being appointed to many important offices of trust. He was an influential member of the church and a land holder in Lebanon. He married, December 16, 1691, Margaret, daughter of Francis Griswold. They had four sons and four daughters.

(IV) Joseph, son of Thomas (3) Buckingham, was born June 20, 1707. He married September 24, 1741, Sarah, daughter of William and Abigail (Maverick) Tully, of Saybrook. They had six daughters.

(V) Ann, youngest daughter of Captain Joseph Buckingham, born August 4, 1753, in Saybrook, Connecticut, married Rev. James Murdock, of Saybrook, September 30, 1779. She died at Houseville, Lewis county, New York, November 11, 1838 (see Murdock IV).

(The Moseley Line)

The family is of English origin and it has been ascertained that the name was on record as early as 1081.

(I) John Mawdesley or Moseley was among the first settlers of Dorchester, Massachusetts, and was a freeman March 14, 1639. He married twice. His first wife, Elizabeth, had three sons, Thomas, Joseph and John, and a daughter, Elizabeth. At his death, 1661, his second wife Sicily was appointed administratrix. It is supposed he lived near what is now Crescent avenue, bordering the salt marsh and eastward of Humphrey Atherton's old homestead. Mr. Moseley's descendants have some of them lived at this place and an avenue is named for them. An impressive monument of brown freestone on a brick foundation in the Dorchester burying ground marks his grave.

(II) John (2), youngest son of John (1) and Elizabeth Moseley, was born in Dorchester, in 1640, died in Windsor in 1690. Soon after the death of his parents, he removed to Windsor, wherein 1667 he married Mary, daughter of Benjamin Newbury. Captain Benjamin Newbury was deputy twenty-two sessions, a member of the council of war, and a captain in King Philip's war. In 1677 Mr. Moseley removed to Westfield, where he became a large land owner. His home was built of very heavy logs and provided with hoops for protection from Indians. He was a lieutenant of a Westfield company, and took part in King Philip's war. He removed to Windsor some time before his death, which occurred there in 1690. He had ten children, three sons and seven daughters.

(III) Joseph, second son of Lieutenant John (2) and Mary (Newbury) Moseley, was born in Windsor, Connecticut, December 20, 1670, died in Glastonbury, Connecticut, in 1719. He married Abigail Root, of Westfield, Massachusetts, in 1695. They removed to Glastonbury, Connecticut, in 1715. They had nine children, four sons and three daughters. [sic]

(IV) Abner, oldest son of Joseph and Abigail (Root) Moseley, was born in Westfield, Massachusetts, 1699. He was a colonel in the Connecticut militia. As executor of his father's estate, he gave a tract of land to the town of Westfield, in 1722. The farm purchased by his father in Glastonbury, Connecticut, and equally divided between his sons, Abner and Isaac, is recorded as bounded west by the Connecticut river, running three miles and ninety-three rods in width north and south. Abner remained at the homestead. He married Elizabeth Lyman, of West Hampton, Massachusetts, 1722. Children, five sons and six daughters.

(V) Joseph (2), son of Abner and Elizabeth (Lyman) Moseley, was born at Glastonbury, Connecticut, August 13, 1735, died October 25, 1806. He was a prominent member and for many years a deacon in the Congregational church. He represented the town twelve times in the legislature, was captain of the Seventh Company, in Colonel Fisher Gray's battalion, of General Wadsworth's brigade, which served in the battle of Long Island and White Plains. Later, besides caring for a large farm, he kept a hotel. He married, September 10, 1761, Hopeful Robbins, of Wethersfield, born August 3, 1735. They had eight children, three girls and five boys.

(VI) Abigail, eldest child of Joseph (2) and Hopeful (Robbins) Moseley, was born in Glastonbury, Connecticut, January 7, 1763. She married, December 25, 1782, Eleazer House, of Glastonbury (see House I). They removed to Turin, New York, in 1800. She died at Houseville, Lewis county, New York, March 18, 1833.

Go to top of page | previous family: Lansing | next family: Blessing

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Giles

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/giles.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library