This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Dudley

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Dudley

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Child | next family: Corning

[This information is from Vol. II, pp. 766-770 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

The Dudley family is one of the most noted and interesting in the whole world. All over England are great castle ruins and tombs of the Dudleys that speak eloquently of the past greatness of the family. They have been noble for centuries, and English history teems with their doings. Queen Elizabeth, in the fifth year of her reign (1562), granted Kenilworth castle to Robert Dudley, son of John, Duke of Northumberland, who added several fine buildings to the already magnificent structure, now in ruins. In July, 1575, the queen paid a visit to Leicester at this castle, remaining seventeen days, witnessing the entertainments devised by her favorite in her honor. But King James I. refused a later heir his rights to the castle, and it passed from the family. Sir Philip Sidney declared that his highest hereditary honor was to be a Dudley. There is a record of Dudley castle written in Domesday book, Britain's oldest national record, that says in the time of Edward the Confessor the estate was worth a rent of 4 pounds, but at the time of the survey ordered by William the Conqueror it was valued at 3 pounds rental.

Volumes have been written of the family doings in America since the coming of Thomas Dudley, the "Pilgrim," deputy governor and governor of Massachusetts Bay colony, who died at his home in Roxbury, Massachusetts, July 31, 1653. Men and women distinguished in every walk of life have borne the name, which is everywhere honored. In Albany, New York, there is an imperishable monument to the name, Dudley Observatory, erected mainly through the munificence of Mrs. Blandina (Bleecker) Dudley, in memory of her husband, Hon. Charles Edward Dudley, born at Johnson Hall, Staffordshire, England, May 23, 1780, died in Albany, New York, January 23, 1841, son of Charles Dudley, collector of customs, Rhode Island, and Catherine Cooke Dudley, of Newport, Rhode Island. Hon. Charles Edward Dudley was an eminent merchant of Albany. He was a member of the New York senate 1820-25, mayor of Albany 1821-28; United States senator to succeed President Martin Van Buren, 1829-33. His wife Blandina was a daughter of Rutgers Bleecker. She became a noted philanthropist in her later years and gave her wealth freely for benevolent and scientific purposes. They had no children. The Dudleys of Johnstown, New York, herein recorded, descend from Francis Dudley, of Concord, Massachusetts.

(I) Francis Dudley, born about 1640, settled at Concord, Massachusetts, about 1663. He was living in 1702 and is believed to have died in Concord. He was a soldier in King Philip's war, and the record shows payment to him for services under date of February 29, 1675. He married, October 26, 1665, Sarah Wheeler, of Concord, daughter of George Wheeler. She died December 12, 1713, at Concord. Children:

  1. Mary, married Joseph Fletcher;
  2. Joseph, married Abigail Goble;
  3. Samuel, see forward;
  4. Sarah, died August 4, 1701;
  5. John, married Hannah Poultier;
  6. Benjamin, died March 6, 1681-2;
  7. Francis (2), twice married.

(II) Samuel, son of Francis and Sarah (Wheeler) Dudley, was born at Concord, Massachusetts, June 27, 1682, died at Douglass, Massachusetts, March 27, 1747. He removed to Littleton in 1714, and was town clerk there 1716-17; from thence he removed to Sutton, Massachusetts, about 1728, where he was lieutenant of the train band, first representative to the general court, had a front seat in the church, and held many offices and appointments until 1737, when his name disappears from the Sutton records. In 1745 he was of Douglass, Massachuetts. He had four wives, and the records contain the names of fourteen children. His first wife, Abigail King, died August 9, 1720. His second wife Lydia Wetherbee, died March 27, 1747. His third wife was ————, and his fourth wife, Sarah Shepard. Children: Samuel, see forward; Francis; David, one of a triplet, the others being Jonathan and Abigail; Sarah, Abigail (2), Mary, Patty, Roger, Paul, Charles, William, and Douglasette, daughter of last wife.

(III) Samuel (2), eldest son of Samuel (1) and his first wife, Abigail (King) Dudley, was born July 28, 1705, and was killed by the accidental discharge of a gun in 1750, at Littleton. He is styled in the records "husbandman" and "gent." He married, February 17, 1729, Abigail Waters. He left no will. His estate was inventoried at 12,261 pounds. Children:

  1. Samuel (3);
  2. Abigail, who died young;
  3. Stephen, see forward;
  4. Lois;
  5. Joseph, killed at Quebec, in the French war;
  6. Abigail.

(IV) Stephen, son of Samuel (2) and Abigail (Waters) Dudley, was born at Littleton, Massachusetts, July 2, 1735, and died in South Carolina, about 1784. He served in the revolutionary war. He married Lydia Harwood, of Littleton. Children:

  1. Stephen, died at Cato, Cayuga county, New York; married Rebecca Minard; fourteen children.
  2. Lydia.
  3. Abigail.
  4. Joseph, of Manchester, Vermont, Greenwich, Washington county, New York, and Perry, Wyoming county, New York.
  5. Samuel.
  6. Mary.
  7. General Peter, see forward.
  8. Jonathan, settled at Pittsfield, Loraine county, Ohio.
  9. Asa, born June 30, 1782.

(V) General Peter Dudley, son of Stephen and Lydia (Harwood) Dudley, was born at Littleton, Massachusetts, November 29, 1773, and died at Peru, Bennington county, Vermont, August 13, 1847. His father died when he was but a boy, and his mother with her small children removed to Vermont, settling at Andover. In March, 1800, with his young wife he went to Peru, Vermont, where he purchased a tract of wild forest land, built a log cabin, and with his wife founded a home in the wilderness. In time the log cabin was replaced by a commodious farm house, the forest fled before the fields, and he became a prosperous, well-to-do farmer. He possessed a strong and sturdy independence of character and was of the strictest integrity. He was elected to the Vermont legislature in 1810, and served by successive re-elections for fifteen years. Between 1835-40 he was again elected for two or three years in succession. He was liberal to all public improvements and enterprises. He was instrumental in getting the first school established and in having the first house of worship erected. Upon the organization of a military company in Peru he was elected its first captain, was promoted to colonel and later brigadier-general of the Bennington county brigade. He served during the second war with Great Britain in 1812-14, and was with his command in the Plattsburgh campaign. He resigned from the service in 1820. He was a loyal supporter of President Madison and advocated a vigorous prosecution of the war. He married, March 11, 1800, Lucy Barnard, born November 7, 17——, died at the homestead in Peru, August 24, 1840, followed by the General seven years later. General Dudley had fifteen grandsons who were old enough to serve in the civil war; of these, twelve did serve, seven of them as officers; six were wounded, and three died in the service. He had thirteen children:

  1. Lucy, educated and fitted for a teacher; she taught in Vermont, then at Perry, Genesee county, New York, where she married John True. They later settled in Chautauqua county. She was a pioneer teacher in these settlements, popular, successful and respected.
  2. Peter, postmaster, station agent and hotel keeper at Centre Rutland, Vermont. He had been a Democrat, but voted for Fremont in 1858, and lost his post office as a result. He sold his Rutland property and returned to Manchester, Vermont, where he purchased a farm, but later retired to the village. He married three wives, and had three sons in the Union army, two of whom died there.
  3. General Stephen, married Lydia Davis; three of his sons were in the civil war, two of them receiving wounds.
  4. Elvira, a school teacher; married Johnson Montgomery, and removed to Eaton Rapids, Michigan, in 1837. Three of her sons enlisted in the Union army, one was killed at Chickamauga, and another severely wounded. Her youngest son, Robert Morris Montgomery, was twice elected circuit judge, was chief justice supreme court of Michigan several years, and is now chief justice of the United States Court of Customs Appeals, Washington, D. C.
  5. Lydia, married David Arnold, merchant, lawyer and county judge; of their three sons, two served in the civil war.
  6. Benjamin, died in infancy.
  7. James M., see forward.
  8. Sophia, married Nelson Curtis. One of their sons was a Union soldier.
  9. Mary, married Jesse Rider.
  10. Caroline, married Charles Lee, a lawyer, and removed to Bracken county, Kentucky.
  11. Samuel, died in boyhood.
  12. Damietta, married Isaiah Bates.
  13. Helen L., married Leonard C. Holton; (second) Martin Brachall.

(VI) James Madison, son of General Peter and Lucy (Barnard) Dudley, was born in Peru, Vermont, July 19, 1813, and died at Johnstown, Fulton county, New York, April 9, 1892. He remained on the farm assisting in its cultivation and attending the public school until seventeen years of age, when he entered the Chester (Vermont) Academy. Later he pursued a course of study at Burr Collegiate Seminary, Manchester, Vermont. Choosing the profession of law, he placed himself under the preceptorship of Judge Washburn and Peter T. Washburn, of Ludlow, Vermont. About the year 1840 he removed to New York state, locating in the town of Broadalbin, Fulton county, where he continued his legal studies, removing later to Oppenheim, same county. In July, 1845, he was admitted to the bar, and practiced at Oppenheim until 1850, when he opened an office in New York and practiced there for about seven years. In 1852 he removed his family to Johnstown, New York, which was ever after his home. In 1857 he formed a legal partnership with Judge John Wells, which partnership continued until January 1, 1877, the firm at times being Wells, Dudley & Davis, and Wells, Dudley & Alexander, until 1869. In that year Jeremiah Keck was admitted to the firm, which as Wells, Dudley & Keck continued until January 1, 1877, when the partnership of Wells, Dudley & Keck was dissolved, being succeeded by Dudley, Dennison & Dudley — James M. Dudley, James A. Dennison, his son-in-law, and Harwood Dudley, his son, composing the firm. In 1882 Mr. Dennison was appointed deputy attorney general of the state of New York and retired from the firm. Mr. Dudley and son Harwood continued the partnership until it was terminated by the death of James M. Dudley. He was a leader in the profession to which he was devoted. Honorable and just in character, learned in the law and skilful in its application, he had the full confidence of the bench, the respect of the bar, and was trusted implicitly by his clients. The firm with which he was connected ranked among the first at the Fulton county bar and always had a large clientage. In public affairs Mr. Dudley took an active interest. He was appointed district attorney by Governor Seymour, and in 1866 was chairman of the Fulton county board of supervisors. In 1871 he was the candidate of the Republican party for county judge. In 1872 and 1873 he served as a member of the convention to revise the state constitution. He was for many years United States commissioner. He believed in the public school system and always gave freely of his time and influence to forward the cause of education. He was one of the trustees of the old Johnstown Academy, later merged into the Union Free School. In 1869 he was elected president of the board of education of Johnstown, holding that position until the year of his death. In religious faith he was an Episcopalian, and a member of St. John's church, which he served as trustee and vestryman. His membership and active church life in that parish covered the period from 1856 to his death, April 9, 1892. His influence in Fulton county was always exerted for the welfare of the people, and never for selfish gain or advancement. He was loyal in his friendships and true to his obligations as a citizen and neighbor. He married, June 14, 1843, Maria Swartwout, born January 9, 1820, died March 4, 1882, daughter of Samuel and Parthenia (Cline) Swartwout of Oppenheim, New York, and a great-great-great-great-granddaughter of Roeloff Swartwout, of Ulster county, New York, born in Holland about 1634; came to New Netherlands 1655; settled at Fort Orange (Albany); first sheriff of Ulster county under Governor Peter Stuyvesant; justice and collector of the grand excise. His son, Thomas Swartwout, of Kingston, New York, was one of the seven grantees in the patent of the Minisink valley in 1697. Children of James M. and Maria (Swartwout) Dudley:

  1. Edgar Swartwout, born in Oppenheim, New York, June 14, 1845; attended school at Johnstown Academy until 1863; in 1863-64 was clerk in the provost marshal's office at Schenectady. May 28, 1864, he was mustered into service as second lieutenant, First Regiment New York Light Artillery, and served in the fortifications about Washington, D. C., and was honorably discharged November 23, 1864. From 1865 until 1866 he was a student at Hobart College. August, 1866, he entered United States Military Academy at West Point, where he was graduated June, 1870, number fifteen in a class of fifty-three. He was commissioned second lieutenant and assigned to the Second Regiment, United States Artillery. In October, 1875, he was promoted first lieutenant. In 1876 he was detailed as professor of military science and tactics at the University of Nebraska, remaining until 1879. In 1884 he was again detailed to the university for the same chair, continuing until 1888. While in Nebraska he was appointed colonel and aide to the Governor, John M. Thayer. In 1881 he was on duty at Washington, D. C. He took part in the inauguration ceremonies of President Garfield, and also those held in Washington at his death. In 1882-83 he was aide to Major-General Henry J. Hunt, commanding the Department of the South, and was also acting judge advocate and acting chief ordnance officer of that department. During these years he studied law, and was graduated from Albany Law school, LL.B., 1875, in that year was admitted to the New York bar, and in January, 1888, to the Nebraska bar. December 20, 1892, he was promoted captain and assistant quartermaster; major, judge advocate general's department, February 2, 1901; lieutenant-colonel, May 24, 1901; colonel, judge advocate, November 22, 1903; professor of law, United States Military Academy, West Point, August 1, 1901, to June 14, 1909, when retired as brigadier-general, U. S. A. He was lieutenant-colonel and judge advocate, United States Volunteers, Second Army Corps, in war with Spain, May 9, 1898. He served on the staff of Major General Brooke and Major General Leonard Wood, as legal adviser in civil and military affairs during their terms as military governor of Cuba, December, 1898, to May, 1901. He is the author of Military Law and the Procedure of Courts Martial, published 1907. In 1904 the University of Nebraska conferred upon him the degree of LL.D. He is a member of the Episcopal church, and prominent in the Masonic order, both in the York and Scottish rites. He has attained in the latter rite the highest possible degree that is conferred in the United States, the thirty-third. This honor was conferred by the supreme council of the southern jurisdiction of the United States. In 1887 and 1888 he was grand commander of Knights Templar of Nebraska. He was grand sword bearer of the grand encampment, Knights Templar of the United States, and deputy of the supreme council, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, southern jurisdiction, for the army of the United States, its posts, forts, etc. He is a member of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion, and was the first commander of Appomattox Post No. 214, Grand, Army of the Republic, Lincoln, Nebraska; member Society of Colonial Wars, Sons of the American Revolution, Society of the War of 1812, Naval and Military Order Spanish-American War; charter member Johnstown Historical Society, and member of New York State Historical Society, Society International Law, and the National Geographical Society. His clubs are Union League, Army and Navy (New York City and Washington, D. C.), Army (Fort Monroe, Virginia), Army (Fort Thomas, Kentucky), Army (Fort Leavenworth, Kansas), Army (West Point, New York). He married, June 22, 1870, Mary Stewart, daughter of Joseph and Mary Ann (Sadlier) Hillabrandt. Child: Edgar Stewart Dudley, graduate Pennsylvania Military Academy, Chester, Pennsylvania, class of 1892; he died a few days before receiving diploma, May 9, 1892.
  2. Ella Caroline, born August 24, 1847; married James A. Dennison, lawyer, member of Dudley, Dennison & Dudley, until he received appointment as deputy attorney general, New York state. Children:
    1. Marie Louise, born September 6, 1871; married Barney J. Wemple, and has Sherman Guilford and Barney J. Wemple (2).
    2. Alfred Dudley, born September 19, 1880.
    3. James Harwood, September 20, 1882.
  3. James Guilford, born February 5, 1850; civil engineer; died January 8, 1889, at Lincoln, Nebraska.
  4. Harwood, see forward.
  5. John Harold, twin of Harwood, died in infancy.
  6. Mary Eliza, born December 19, 1853; married, June 2, 1881, Rev. Charles Carroll Edmunds, born June 18, 1853, at Green Bay, Wisconsin. He is a graduate of Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, and General Theological Seminary, New York City, 1880. He is a regularly-ordained minister of the Protestant Episcopal church, and since 1885 has been rector of Christ Church, Herkimer, New York, had parishes in Trenton and Newark, New Jersey, and is now professor at the General Theological Seminary, New York City. Children:
    1. Mary M., married William Y. Webb, and has two children;
    2. Katherine;
    3. Mary Dudley;
    4. Francis Dudley;
    5. Edgar;
    6. Anna.

(VII) Harwood Dudley, third son of James M. and Maria (Swartwout) Dudley, was born at Oppenheim, Fulton county, New York, September 11, 1852. He obtained his early education in the public schools and prepared for college at Johnstown Academy. So well and thoroughly had he prepared that he was able to enter the sophomore class at Union College in 1872, being graduated A. B. in 1875. He had already decided upon the profession of law and had read and studied during his summer vacations. He entered Albany Law School and was graduated LL.B., 1876. He was admitted to the bar of New York, May 17, 1876, and January 1, 1877, became one of the firm of Dudley, Dennison & Dudley. In 1882 the firm narrowed down to J. M. and H. Dudley, father and son. Of all these partners, Harwood Dudley is the only living member. After the death of James M. Dudley, the son Harwood continued the business alone until September 1, 1904, when he admitted his nephew, Alfred Dudley Dennison, as partner. The firm continues, as always, to transact a general legal business. Besides the high standing the firm has always had as practitioners they have also a reputation as law writers. In 1880 they adapted the sixth edition of Cowen's Treatise to the provisions of the code. In 1887 the seventh edition was revised and the decisions brought down to date. In 1881 they rearranged and really rewrote "Edwards on Bills and Notes." This literary work fell largely upon Harwood Dudley, in some of the editions all the work being his own. He stands high in his profession and in the regard of his fellowmen. His broad, enlightened mind covers a variety of interests. He is greatly interested in the work of the Humane Society, and is president of the Fulton county branch as well as an active worker for the society's objects. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, and serves as deacon. For six years he was a member of the board of education. In 1908 he accepted an election as trustee of his alma mater, Union University. In the Masonic order he has attained the thirty-second degree, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite. He is past master of St. Patrick's Lodge No. 4, Free and Accepted Masons, a lodge of which Sir William Johnson was a charter member and the first worshipful master, and General Nicholas Herkimer and Majors Peter Ten Broeck and Jelles Fonda members. He is a member and past T. I. M., of Johnstown Council, No. 72, Royal and Select Masters, and is trustee of the grand council, R. and S. M., of the state of New York. He is a member of the Johnstown Historical Society; a member of the Empire State Society of the Sons of the American Revolution. His social club is the Colonial, of which he has been president. There is very little that affects the social life of Johnstown in which he has not a vital concern. He is a man of the people, and their interests are his. Politically he is a Republican. He married, December 7, 1881, Frances, daughter of David G. and Jerutia (Wooster) Selmser. They have no children.

Go to top of page | previous family: Child | next family: Corning

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Dudley

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/dudley.html updated February 18, 2011

Copyright 2011 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library