This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Dauchy

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Dauchy

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Wiles | next family: Burns

[This information is from Vol. III, pp. 1028-1031 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

Charles Dauchy was born in Troy, New York, 1904, of French parentage and ancestry. He was a man of good education, and a well-known merchant of Troy, first in the dry goods trade, and later in the lumber business. He married Hannah Waterbury, of Darien, Connecticut. Children: Nathan, Jessie M., Frances L., Georgiana, Charles H. (see forward), Henrietta E. and John B.

(II) Charles H., son of Charles and Hannah (Waterbury) Dauchy, was born in Troy, New York, August 14, 1843, died January 22, 1903. He was educated in private schools and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He took a course at the Albany Business College, graduating in 1861. He engaged in the grocery business in Troy, having a store on River street. He added to his line a department for the sale of paints, oils and glass, that became a very important part of his business. He was a man of genial social disposition, made many friends, and had the rare faculty of retaining them. Although born in Troy he had lived many years in the old village of Lansingburg, where he was signally honored by the confidence and esteem of his neighbors. He held the office of village trustee, president of the village, water commissioner, being president of the board, and school warden of the first commissioners district of Rensselaer county. After Lansingburg became part of the city of Troy he was elected alderman, being the first representative of the sixteenth ward in the common council after the consolidation. He was appointed by Governor Odell port warden of New York City, succeeding John H. Boland. He was always an adherent of the Republican party and his political preference came from that organization. He was an attendant of Trinity Episcopal Church, and a member of the Riverside and Sans Souci clubs. He married, December 15, 1889, Esther A., daughter of Albert E. and Frances (Hanford) Powers, of Lansingburg. Children:

  1. James Roy.
  2. Albert Powers.
  3. Charles Henry.
  4. William Powers; is his father's successor in business and continues the same line at Nos. 279-281 River street; he is unmarried.
  5. Frances H.

(The Powers Line)

The family name Power, or Powers, is from the old Norman name "le Poer," and in England is as old as the time of William the Conqueror, one of whose followers bore that name at the battle of Hastings, and is found on the roll of Battle Abbey. From that time onward the name holds an honorable place in English history. There seems to be no positive record where the American founder of the family came from. One writer says the New England family originated in Essex county, England. The name of Walter Power appears on the records of Middlesex county, Massachusetts, of 1654, as a "boy 14 years old," and that he married on "ye Eleventh daye of ye first month 1660," Trial, daughter of Deacon Ralph Sheppard, who came from Stepney Parish, London (in Essex), 1635, with his wife Thankes, and first settled in Weymouth, later in Malden, where he died aged ninety years. Huge trees now grow in the raceway of the old Powers saw mill, and the site of "old Powers graveyard" may be found, but badly treated by vandals who used the gravestones to make a fence.

(I) Walter Power, born 1639, died February 22, 1708, married March 11, 1661, Trial, daughter of Deacon Ralph and Thankes Sheppard, born February 10, 1641. Little is known of his parentage or early life. His wife Thankes seems to have been a woman of education, and from the position the sons took in the town it is likely they were fairly well educated for those early times. After his marriage in 1661 he settled upon a tract of land in or near Concord (then Concord village, now Littleton, Massachusetts) adjoining the Indian town of Nashobe, which Deacon Ralph Sheppard owned. He built his house on the north side of Quagany Hill, about half a mile from the garrison house. In 1694 he bought of Thomas Waban and other Indians one-fourth part of the township of Nashobe. His remains were doubtless buried in the old "Powers burying ground," as also were those of his wife, who survived him many years. Children:

  1. William, married Mary Bank or Bauk, of Chelmsford; he inherited the homestead and the saw mill.
  2. Mary, married, January 1, 1681, Lieutenant Joseph Wheeler.
  3. Isaac, see forward.
  4. Thomas, married Mary Harwood.
  5. Daniel, married (first) Elizabeth Whitcomb; (second) Martha Bates.
  6. Increase, married Hepzibah Sawyer.
  7. Walter, married Rebecca Barrett.
  8. Jacob, married (first) Sarah Merriam; (second) Edith Adams.
  9. Sarah, married Moses Barron.

The sons were all land owners, farmers, and men of importance in the town. The sons of Walter seem at different times to have added the final "s" to the original Power.

(II) Captain Isaac, son of Walter and Trial (Sheppard) Powers, was born in 1665. He was prominent among the sons of Walter and seems to have taken the lead in town affairs. He was captain of the militia (train band); a petitioner for town incorporation; moderator of the first town meeting; and continued to hold various town offices for many years; was twice elected to the general court and was colonial agent for conveying lands. He was a church member, and in 1723 was upon the committee for conveying pew rights in the meeting house. He married Mary, daughter of John Poulter, and widow of Samuel Winship. She was a relative of Rev. Benjamin Shattuck, the first settled minister of the town. Children:

  1. Isaac, born 1700, died December 15, 1729.
  2. Jonathan, married Elizabeth Kidder.
  3. Gideon, see forward.
  4. Lucy, married Ephraim, her cousin, son of William and Mary (Bauk) Powers.
  5. Hannah.
  6. Tryphena, born May 22, 1711; married Deacon Jonathan Laurence.
  7. Ephraim, married Lucy ————; he was a soldier and was severely wounded in the French war.
  8. Mary, married Simon Davis (2).

(III) Gideon, son of Captain Isaac and Mary (Winship) Powers, is believed to have lived at Lexington, Massachusetts, as his name appears on the roll of that town as a soldier in an old French war. His name is the first on the first church records without date, the previous records supposed to have been lost. It is followed by the name of others of the family, all without date, but previous to 1746. He was the third child of his parents, and the date of birth of the first being 1700, we may place his at 1705, as a sixth child was born 1711. He married Lydia, supposed to have been a daughter of Deacon David Russell, of "Nashoba Farms." Children:

  1. Gideon, born 1729; married Ruth Hosmer.
  2. Elliott, born February 12, 1732; married (first) Sarah Cragin; (second) Mary Barker.

    Gideon and Elliott Powers were both of Temple, New Hampshire, and were among the citizens of that place who upon the commencement of hostilities with Great Britain, resolved: "The we the subscribers do hereby solemnly profess our entire willingness at the Risque of our Lives and Fortunes with arms to oppose the Hostile Attempts of the British Fleets against the United American Colonies whenever and to such degree as such Attempts of Briton may require." Their names appear in different engagements all through the revolutionary war.

  3. Jonas, married Betsey Tower.
  4. William, see forward.

(IV) William, son of Gideon and Lydia (Russell) Powers, of Littleton, Massachusetts, was born December 30, 1740, died March 13, 1829. He was a farmer of Marlboro, Massachusetts, and Groton, New Hampshire. He served in the revolution, and was with General Stark at Bennington. He married Elizabeth Gates, of Stow, Massachusetts, born 1748, died November 9, 1823. Among their children was William, see forward.

(V) William (2), son of William (1) and Elizabeth (Gates) Powers, of Groton, New Hampshire, was born February 11, 1767, died November 2, 1834. He was a farmer of Groton. He married Mary Thompson, born September 11, 1769, died December 4, 1857. Children:

  1. Betsey, died unmarried.
  2. William, see forward.
  3. Gideon, married Hannah Crosby.
  4. Mary, married ———— Merriam; had issue.
  5. Jonathan, married (first) Ann Kendall, (second) Esther Jane Heath.
  6. Benjamin, died in infancy.
  7. Jacob, married (first) Lydia Merriam; (second) Amelia Conant; (third) Sarah Everts.
  8. Ruth, married Arthur L. Webster.
  9. Joseph, married Betsey Blood.
  10. Benjamin, married Ann Cummings.

(VI) William (3), son of William (2) and Mary (Thompson) Bowers, was born February 26, 1790, died June 25, 1829, at Lansingburg, New York. He was reared on the farm, and obtained a good education. He was a school teacher, working as a farmer in the summer season among the farmers of Washington county. He organized and taught the first school in the village of Argyle. He had obtained some knowledge of the making of oil cloth and began experimenting. He was so much encouraged with the results he obtained that he began in a small way the making of floor oilcloths, establishing a plant at Lansingburg. In his work he was assisted by his wife, who in the early days worked at his side. The business was a success and became very profitable. He met his death by an explosion of chemicals in the plant. He married, February 22, 1816, Deborah Hall, born August 5, 1790, in Hebron, Grafton county, New Hampshire. She was a farmer's. daughter and learned the trade of tailoress. She was a woman of superior attainments, and after the death of her husband continued the business which she had helped in no small degree to establish. She had at first the assistance of her brother, Jonathan, and later admitted Jonathan E. Whipple to the firm. After their withdrawal she continued the business with her sons, then grown to manhood. While she was known as a capable, energetic woman of business and had the respect of the banking and business community, she is best known and will be longest remembered for her munificent charity. In 1882, after conferring with her sons, who were of one accord with her, she established in Lansingburg the "Deborah Powers Home for Old Ladies," regularly incorporated and wholly endowed by her with the exception of one thousand dollars given by Hon. Thomas Coleman. Founders' Day (August 5) is regularly observed at the "Home," and there the name of Deborah Powers is a revered one. The grounds surrounding the "Home" occupy a half block in the northern part of the city between Twenty-third and Twenty-fourth streets, and Second and Third avenues. She lived to a most extraordinary age to enjoy her fortune and see her sons rise to prominence in Troy. She was ninety-three years of age when she established the "Home," and at that age was still associated with her sons in business. Children of William and Deborah Powers: Albert E. (see forward); Nathaniel.

(VII) Albert E., son of William (3) and Deborah (Hall) Powers, was horn in Troy, New York, December 5, 1816. He was a lad of thirteen when his father lost his life through an accident. After completing his education he was trained to the business by his wonderful mother, and quickly became her strong right arm and trusted adviser. In 1842 he was admitted into the business as his mother's partner, and in 1847 his brother was admitted as one of the firm. When the Bank of Lansingburg failed he was appointed receiver. In order to facilitate the liquidation the firm of D, Powers & Son opened a bank under the name of Bank of D. Powers & Sons, the other partner being Nathaniel B., the other son of Deborah Powers. From March, 1877, until the death of Deborah Powers, May 28, 1881, the bank was jointly conducted by the firm in connection with the oilcloth factory. After her death, the sons continued both the banking and manufacturing. He was a large stockholder in other concerns, and a leading citizen of the town. He was thoroughly in sympathy with his mother's charitable work and assisted her in carrying out her plans. He was warm-hearted, generous, and performed a great deal of benevolent work in a quiet, unassuming way. He was a church member. He married Frances Hanford, and had a daughter, Esther A., (see Dauchy).

Go to top of page | previous family: Wiles | next family: Burns

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Dauchy

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/dauchy.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library