This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.


Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Adriance

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: L'Amoreaux | next family: Alden

[This information is from Vol. I, pp. 425-429 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

Many of the original Dutch settlers in this country were neglectful in the use of family or surnames, while others who had them frequently adopted the Christian name of their father as a surname, usually, but not invariably, adding to it either "sen," "se," "s," "sz," or "z," all of which had the same meaning and signified son. This often resulted in descendants of a common ancestor bearing entirely different names. This is the case in the present Adriance and Ryerson families, and the Martense Arie or Arien Ryerse and Maerte Ryerse, both sons of Ryerse. Ryerse, although not a surname, was retained by the descendants of Maerte (Marten) Ryerse, who are now numerous and bear the name of Ryerson. The descendants of Arie (Arien, Adrian) Ryerse added the "se," and used Adrian as a surname — which later became the present Adriance. Elbert and Marten Adriense were sons of Adrien Reyerse, of Flatbush, who, with his brother Marten Reyerse, came from Amsterdam. The history of this family strikingly exhibits the early habit of changing names. Reyerse, itself no surname, but simply a patronymic, was retained by descendants of Marten Reyerse, who are now numerous and bear the name of Ryerson. Ofthe two brothers Elbert and Marten Adriense, the first settled in Flushing, and his posterity there, in Dutchess county and elsewhere, compose the Adriance family. Marten Adriense remained in Flatbush, married Sarah, a sister of the wife of his brother Elbert, and had sons: Adrian, Rem and Gerrit, who took the patronymic Martense, and were the progenitors of the present Martense family.

(I) Adrian Ryerse probably emigrated in 1646, as he took the oath of allegiance in 1687, and at that time stated that he had been in America forty-one years. He married Anna, daughter of Martin Schenck.

(II) Elbert Adriance, son of Adrian and Anna (Schenck) Ryerse, was born in 1663. He married Catalina, daughter of Rem Jansen Vanderbeeck and Jannetie, daughter of Joris Jansen de Rapalie. The sons of Rem Jansen Vanderbeeck dropped the surname and took instead the father's patronymic, Rem, added sen, and thus Rem Jansen Vanderbeeck became the ancestor of the Remsens of America.

(III) Rem, son of Elbert and Catalina (Vanderbeeck) Adriance, was born in 1690. He married Sarah, born December 18, 1691, daughter of Joris and Annetie (daughter of Teunis Jansz Coevers, ancestor of the Covert family of this country) Brinckerhoff, and a direct descendant of Joris Dericksen Brinckerhoff, born in Holland in 1609, came to America in 1638, and died January 16, 1661.

(IV) Abraham, son of Rem and Sarah (Brinckerhoff) Adriance, was born in 1720, and removed to Fishkill, Dutchess county, New York. He married (first) in Fishkill, Sarah, daughter of Jeromus and Elizabeth (Bedell) Repleyea, of Fishkill, a descendant of Joris Jansen Repleyea, born in 1623, who built the first house on Long Island, founded the city of Brooklyn, and whose daughter Sarah was the first white child born of European parents in the state of New York. Abraham Adriance married (second) Phoebe Van Kleek.

(V) John, son of Abraham Adriance, probably by his first wife, but of this there is no record, was born in Fishkill, New York, in 1753, died May 29, 1794. He married Engeltje Storm, born in Fishkill, died at the age of fifty-four years, and who was a descendant of Dirck, who came to America on the ship "Fox" in 1662.

(VI) Abraham J., son of John and Engeltje (Storm) Adriance, was born October 13, 1773, died from the effects of a sunstroke, August 1, 1821. He married, April 28, 1796, Mary Elizabeth Eyrand Van Vleck, born at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, March 5, 1778, died November 5, 1842. She was the daughter of Abraham H. Van Vleck, was born in 1747, died August 29, 1777; he married, December 13, 1772, Elizabeth Eyrand, born in La Rochelle, France, daughter of a French artist of Huguenot descent, and died July 8, 1828; she married (second) 1792, Thomas Mesnard, an Englishman, who was a shipmaster and died July 29, 1827; no children by second husband; her family had migrated to this country on account of religious persecutions.

The Van Vlecks were a noted Moravian family who left Germany with a colony that settled around Bethlehem and Nazareth, Pennsylvania, and for a number of generations they had been noted for the number of bishops and preachers they had furnished the church. Religious persecution was the cause of their leaving home, and to this day many of the ancient customs they established are observed in the community, and they are foremost in all religious and educational matters. Abraham J. and Mary Elizabeth Eyrand (Van Vleck) Adriance had children:

  1. Abraham Van Vleck, born May 24, 1798, died unmarried, May 16, 1867.
  2. John, born November 9, 1799, died unmarried August, 1825.
  3. Thomas Mesnard, see forward.
  4. Judith, born December 18, 1803; married ———— Welsh; children:
    1. Mary Jane, married Jacob Lewis, now deceased;
    2. Rebecca, deceased, married Thomas Ward;
    3. Louisa, deceased, married Zachariah Mead.
  5. Henry, born November 12, 1805.
  6. Elizabeth Eyrand, born June 10, 1811, married Charles Genett, died at Richmond, Virginia, about 1905.
  7. George Washington, born August 10, 1813; married, and left one daughter, Elizabeth, who married Charles Seibert.
  8. James Lawrence, born August 11, 1815, died unmarried.
  9. Francis Vincent Gray, born September 7, 1817, and died at Hauppaugeville, Long Island, 1897.

(VII) Thomas Mesnard, son of Abraham J. and Mary Elizabeth Eyrand (Van Vleck) Adriance, was born in Dutchess county, New York, August 9, 18oi, and died December 30, 1877; buried in Greenwood cemetery, New York. In his early manhood he removed to New York City, where he engaged in the banking business, being connected for his business life as manager with the old banking house of John A. Stevens & Company. He was a member of the famous Seventh Regiment of New York, and continued to be actively identified with it and with its veteran association. At the expiration of fifty years of service he received a jubilee gold medal to commemorate his half century with the regiment. He was married, January 8, 1826, the Rev. James Milnor officiating at the ceremony in St. George's church, in Beekman street, to Julia Ann Price, born January 16, 1801. She was a daughter of Joseph and Ann (Fernhower) Price, the former a native of Wales, whose father settled at Red Bank, New Jersey; the latter born in Holland, a daughter of ———— Fernhower, a learned man and a teacher of languages. Children:

  1. Julia Ann Price, born January 6, 1828, died July 26, 1878, unmarried.
  2. Louisa Graves, born August 18, 1833; married, June 16, 1863, David Walker; died March (or April) 7, 1876.
  3. Thomas Bloodgood (see forward).
  4. William Joseph, born July 28, 1839, died August, 1910; married, April 14, 1887, Ella Maud, daughter of Benjamin Franklin; children:
    1. William Franklin, born April 18, 1890;
    2. Helen Lawrence, February 25, 1892.
  5. Frances Stevens, born December 26, 1841; married, April 30, 1867, Gideon H. Mead; has one son, Charles Adriance.

(VIII) Thomas Bloodgood, son of Thomas Mesnard and Julia Ann (Price) Adriance, was born in New York City, December 13, 1836, and died January 20, 1877; buried in Greenwood cemetery, New York. He was educated in his native city, attending the Mechanics' Society School. Throughout his entire business life he held an important place with the Bank of Commerce of New York City. In 1869 he removed to Jersey City, where he made his residence during the remainder of his life. He was a member of the Twenty-second Regiment, N. G. N. Y., at the time of its organization, and during the civil war, and was with the regiment when it was sent to Washington and formed a part of the reserves at Antietam. He was a member of Varick Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Jersey City. He married, September 29, 1864, Mary E. Holmes, who was born April 28, 1838, and died May 26, 1910 (see Holmes forward). Children: Anna, Allan Holmes, Thomas Floy (see forward).

(IX) Thomas Floy, youngest child of Thomas Bloodgood and Mary E. (Holmes) Adriance, was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, December 8, 1874. He received his preparatory education in the public schools of Jersey City, then was prepared for entrance to the New York University by a private tutor. Matriculating at the university, he was graduated in the class of 1895 with the degree of Bachelor of Science, and in the following year received his degree of Civil Engineer. The next two years were spent under John G. Van Horne, New York City, in general municipal engineering, and he was then employed by the Department of Public Works, New York City, as engineer inspector. His next position was with the Hastings Pavement Company as superintendent, afterward becoming engineer in charge of the construction of the Empire City race track at Yonkers, New York. Upon the completion of this work, he went to Nicaragua as assistant engineer to the Isthmian Canal Commission on the Nicaragua survey, then to Ecuador, South America, as one of the engineers on the Guayaquil & Quito railway, and acted while there as topographical and resident engineer. Returning to this country, he was employed by the Hudson county, New Jersey, freeholders as engineer in charge of the construction of the Baldwin Avenue bridge. In 1902-03 he had charge of the Bureau of Lamps and Gas for the lighting of Manhattan and Bronx boroughs, New York City; from 1903 to 1905 he had charge of the highway improvement at Harrisburgh, Pennsylvania; in 1905 and 1906 he was engineer in charge of the T. B. Ackerson Construction Company, Brooklyn, New York; since then he has held the position of assistant superintendent of the International Paper Company's mills at Fort Edward, Washington county, New York. He is a member of the Delta Phi fraternity, as well as of a number of business and social clubs.

Mr. Adriance married, March 7, 1904, Grace Florence, daughter of George Frederick and Jennie A. (Gregory) Underwood (see forward). Children: George Underwood, born July 13, 1905; John Gregory and Thomas Holmes (twins), born July 7, 1907.

(The Holmes Line)

Mary E. Holmes, mother of Thomas Floy Adriance, descends from Francis and Ann Holmes, who came from Beverly, England, to Wethersfield, then to Stamford, Connecticut, in 1648. His will is on record in Fairfield county, 1671.

(II) John, son of Francis and Ann Holmes, was born in England, came to Stamford in 1660 and removed to Bedford, New York, in 1690. He was married in England.

(III) John (2), son of John (1) Holmes, was born in England in 1639, died in 1729. He came to America in 1660, settled first in Greenwich, then moved to Bedford, New York, in 1681.

(IV) John (3), son of John (2) Holmes, was born in Bedford, New York, in 1690. He was town clerk in 1732-40, and signed the Canfield deeds.

(V) Reuben, son of John (3) Holmes, was born in Bedford about 1715. He served as town clerk of Bedford from 1747 to 1750; as town clerk of Newburgh, 1775-82; and was a soldier in the revolutionary war. Children: Reuben, Burras, Joel and William.

(VI) Burras, son of Reuben Holmes, was of Newburgh, New York, prior to 1760. He was there probably between 1748-53 and after 1775. He married and had children: Daniel and Gilbert.

(VII) Rev. Daniel Holmes, a minister of the Methodist church, son of Burras Holmes, was born in 1770, died in 1839. He was of Middle Hope, Newburgh, New York, and married Mary Purdy, who was born in 1771, died in 1833. Children: William S. and thirteen others.

(VIII) William S., son of Rev. Daniel and Mary (Purdy) Holmes, married (first) Eliza Kniffen, and had children: Charles, Gilbert, Reuben, Lucien, James K., Mary E., see forward, Daniel. He married (second) Eliza Staples, widow of Charles Kniffen, a brother of his first wife, and had: Milton T., Amanda, Frances, Martha, Adeline.

(IX) Mary E, daughter of William S. and Eliza (Kniffen) Holmes, married Thomas Bloodgood Adriance (see Adriance VIII).

William S. Holmes was a brick manufacturer at Haverstraw, Verplancks Point and Kingston Point, New York. Shortly after his second marriage he moved to Manchester, Iowa, where he died.

(The Underwood Line)

The Underwood families of America, who claim descent from pre-revolutionary ancestors, descend from one of the following:

  1. Joseph Underwood, see forward.
  2. William Underwood, of Concord, Massachusetts.
  3. Henry Underwood, settled in or near Newport, Rhode Island, about 1665.
  4. William Thomas Underwood, settled in Virginia about the middle of the seventeenth century.
  5. Alexander Underwood, settled in Maryland about the same time that settlement was made in Virginia. These were five of seven brothers who came to America together, Joseph being the ancestor of the branch here under consideration.

(I) Joseph Underwood left London, England, for Virginia in 1635; afterward removed to Waterbury, Massachusetts; was one of the proprietors of Hingham, Massachusetts, in 1637; was admitted freeman at Watertown in 1645; died there prior to 1677. He had a brother whose wife was named Magdalene. His will, dated February 15, 1658, left his real estate to his wife, Magdalene, and to Thomas, son of his brother, who was then living with them. Thomas also left legacies to his brother Joseph, and to his nephews and nieces, children of Joseph Underwood. Joseph Underwood married (first), 1645, Mary ————, who died February 13, 1658; married (second) April 29, 1662, Mary Howe, of Dorchester, Massachusetts. Children: Joseph, see forward, Sarah, Anna, Elizabeth, Thomas, Martha.

(II) Joseph (2), son of Joseph (1) and Mary Underwood, was born in Watertown, Massachusetts, 1650, died 1691. He married, in 1673, Elizabeth ————. Children:

  1. Mary, born in Watertown, Massachusetts, 1673.
  2. Joseph, Watertown, 1675.
  3. John, Watertown, 1677, settled in Charleston.
  4. Elizabeth, Watertown, 1679, married Nathaniel Cutler.
  5. Joseph, see forward.
  6. Johanna, Redding, 1682, settled in Sherburne, Massachusetts.

There were, perhaps, other children, including Hannah, married, 1709, Daniel Richardson.

(III) Joseph (3), son of Joseph (2) and Elizabeth Underwood, was born in Redding, Massachusetts, 1681, died in Westford, Massachusetts (set off from Chelmsford), January 19, 1761. He removed from Redding to Westford in 1715. He and his brother were subscribers to the covenant in 1727, when the church at Westford was formed from the church at Chelmsford. He married at Redding, 1707, Susannah Parker, born in 1689, died February 18, 1769. Children, first four born in Redding, the remainder in Westford:

  1. Joseph, born 1708, died 1745; married, 1739, Ruth Bancroft.
  2. Thomas, 1709, died 1732.
  3. Mary, 1711, married Colonel Bulkley.
  4. Elizabeth, 1714, married Joseph Fletcher, moved to Dunstable.
  5. Jonathan, see forward.
  6. Amy, 1717, married, 1736, Joseph Spaulding.
  7. Ruth, 1719, died 1775; married Joseph Reed.
  8. Phineas, 1722, died in Merrimac, New Hampshire, 1757.
  9. Timothy, 1724.
  10. Susannah, 1725, died 1729.
  11. John, 1727, died 1756.
  12. Bethiah, 1729, married Oliver Prescott.
  13. James, 1731.

(IV) Jonathan, son of Joseph (3) and Susannah (Parker) Underwood, was born at Westford, Massachusetts, January 22, 1716,. died at Marlboro, Vermont, May 26, 1794. He moved to Marlboro about 1776. He enlisted in Captain Kent's company on the alarm and went to Lexington in April, 1775, serving in this company thirty-nine days, until wounded. Captain Kent's company was formed at Suffield, Connecticut; was at the siege of Boston eight months in 7775, and was at Ticonderoga in 1777. He married Hannah Richardson. Children:

  1. Jonathan, see forward.
  2. Susannah, born 1747, married Simon Adams, of Suffield, Connecticut.
  3. Oliver, 1762, died November 18, 1765.
  4. Hannah, 1760.
  5. Thaddeus, died September 8, 1840; married Mary Farr, of Boylston.
  6. Samuel.
  7. Phineas.
  8. John, 1773, died February 7, 1816.

(V) Jonathan (2), son of Jonathan (1) and Hannah (Richardson) Underwood, was born in Westford, Massachusetts, 1774, died in Vermont, December 21, 1801. He had a grist and saw mill, and was also engaged in, farming. He married, 1777, in Brimsfield, Massachusetts, Deborah, daughter of Isaac Morgan; she died in 1830. Children:

  1. Oliver, see forward.
  2. Polly, born October 31, 1781, died May 29, 1863; married Jonathan Ingraham.
  3. David, February 12, 1783, died at Marlboro, November 15, 1863.
  4. Jonathan, August, 1784.
  5. Deborah, April 22, 1787.
  6. Roxy, July 2, 1788.
  7. Erastus, April 5, 1791.
  8. Lucinda.
  9. James, December 17, 1795.

(VI) Oliver, son of Jonathan (2) and Deborah (Morgan) Underwood, was born April 7, 1779. He married Maria Nichols and moved to Chestertown, New York. Children:

  1. Oliver, born August 22, 1806.
  2. David, May 13, 1809, died April 19, 1885; married, 1836, in Yonkers, Hannah Waring.
  3. Flavel, July 14, 1811.
  4. Christopher, see forward.
  5. Lemuel, 1815.
  6. Burnham.
  7. Houghton, February 1, 1818.
  8. Rosana, January 28, 1821, died May 9, 1900; married, March 29, 1848, Lorenzo Heminway.
  9. Lucy.
  10. Samuel.
  11. Miles.
  12. Sydney.

(VII) Christopher, son of Oliver and Maria (Nichols) Underwood, was born September 6, 1813, died April 28, 1898. After his marriage he removed to Chester, New York, and from there to Fort Edward, Washington county, where his death occurred. He married, July 2, 1841, Mahala Griffin, born May 1, 1822, died November 27, 1904. Children:

  1. Sibyl Armenia, born July 6, 1842, died January 17, 1848.
  2. Emmeline R., July 6, 1844.
  3. George Frederick, see forward.
  4. Myron S., July 29, 1850, married, September 9, 1877, Anna Horton; child: Clarence H. Horton.
  5. Herson, December 8, 1851.
  6. David C., May 23, 1855.
  7. Leroy, July 24, 1856.
  8. Sanford R., August 13, 1858.
  9. Anna A., September 3, 1862.

(VIII) George Frederick, son of Christopher and Mahala (Griffin) Underwood, was born at Horicon, Warren county, New York, July 18, 1845. He was educated at Fort Edward Union School, Fort Edward Collegiate Institute, and was graduated after taking a full course at Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie. He at once engaged in lumbering, holding the position of general manager fourteen years, at first with the firm of Bradley & Underwood in Fort Edward, and until 1880 for the Bloomingdale Lumber Company of Sandy Hill. In the latter named year he became interested in his own personal business affairs, and became one of the largest dealers in timber and lumber in his section. In 1896 he was elected director in the International Paper Company and has been vice-president of that company since 1907; he is a director of several other companies and banks. His political affiliations are with the Republican party, and he is a member of the Presbyterian church. He married, June 24, 1875, Jennie A., daughter of Simeon R. and Jane Delavan (Underhill) Gregory, of Fort Edward, New York. Children: Grace Florence, see forward; Maude S., Harry Gregory, Marion Anna. Maud S. married Walter W. Wait; child, Harry Gregory Wait, born June 20, 1900.

(IX) Grace Florence, daughter of George Frederick and Jennie A. (Gregory) Underwood, married Thomas Floy Adriance.

Go to top of page | previous family: L'Amoreaux | next family: Alden

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Adriance updated March 30, 2015

Copyright 2015 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library